Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Share |

Uncovering Hidden Windows in my guest room

My latest project is my large guest room. We knew that one of the walls was 'false' and concealing a pair of windows (you could see the windows from outside).

Demolition - I rented a dumpster and hucked all the debris out the window - very satisfying. Here's a pic of halfway through the demo.

Peeled off three layers of wallpaper. They conveniently PAINTED between the first and second layer making it quite a PITA to scrape.

They also PAINTED the hidden windows shut from the outside! You can easily see the paint on the upper sash. It took a bit of patient work to remove the sashes. I kept the interlocking weather-stripping in place because it was in good shape and engaged with the sashes nicely.

I removed all the old paint, sanded and rehabbed the sashes. This involved re-attaching loose muntins and re-squaring a corner or two. The upper sash is still raked out of square by 1/4 inch, but it opens and lowers nicely in the window. The lower sash is perfectly square and also performs nicely.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Uncovering Hidden Windows in my guest room

I planned to keep the old unbroken glass (3 out of 4 panes were in good shape). It wasn't 'wavy' or particularly old, but I hate throwing things away. It proved to be such a time waster to scrape all the old paint that I elected to replace it with new glass - two trips to lowes later I had a nice dry fit.

I set the points and tried my hand at glazing! I've never done this before, but I read a book and watched a video on youtube . After about 45 minutes I got the hang of it and could run a straight line.

Couldn't get a good glazing pic, but I'll post some tomorrow.

oh'mike (02-26-2011), Tom Struble (02-24-2011)