TV Center Update - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 704

TV Center Update

I recently bought a new widescreen. Its the same screen-size as the old, but its a few inches narrower in width, and about 8" shorter. So I made a riser for my TV Center, about 7" tall, so it fits better in the hole in the unit. Made the riser mostly with 20mm MDF, and covered with gloss black laminate on the outside, and gloss black paint on areas that are hidden. But I made the riser two-piece with drawer slides, so I can pull out the TV to get to the cables or back of the TV. Two L brackets hold the riser to the back of the TV center so it cant tip when the TV is pulled full out. I used to dread having to get to the back of my TV. Had to empty out the cabinets and then man-handle them away from the wall.
I didn't originally make the entertainment center myself, but about 8-10 years ago, I did pretty much rebuild the whole think. It was originally sized to fit a 4:3 tube TV. When I got my first widescreen, I rebuilt it to the sizes you see here (about a foot wider). The only thing left of the original is the two side plates.
Attached Thumbnails
TV Center Update-front-view-2.jpg   TV Center Update-open-2.jpg  

Advertisement

SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,546

TV Center Update

Looks great but a couple questions, concerns;

Is it still stable with the tv drawer pulled out? It wouid be a shame for it to tip over due to an imbalance.

Have you incorporated any means to hold the tv steady so when sliding it in and out there is no chance of it tipping ?

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

TV Center Update

The entertainment center easily weighs a few hundred pounds (that's a big reason I had so much trouble moving it to get to the back of the TV). Its not even close to tipping when the TV is slid forward. The TV itself is only 31 pounds.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #4

TV Center Update

I had some left over laminate, so I made an insert to hold the electronics over the TV. The three devices are spaced apart so they have good airflow through them. Two shelves are wire grating for same reason (airflow), and the bottom unit is raised a little. If you look closely at the first photo, you can see how I was using 1x2's to separate the components.

I want to do something about that glass door though. It does not look quite right. I think it needs some kind of framing around the perimeter.

I still have a lot of left-over laminate. I was originally going to re-skin the side panels of the entertainment center to cover an access hole I have on the side for one of the controls on my old TV set. After considering how much work its going to be to rip that think apart and laminate the sides, that hole doesn't look so bad anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
TV Center Update-insert-2.jpg