Tile Floors - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
Proud 'Money Pit' Owner

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to mrs1885

Tile floors

When we bought our house we had lovely neon green shag carpet in the den (add sarcasm here) and a house full of kids and dogs. I learned long ago that carpet + dogs + kids + way too busy parents = yucky floors. So the first thing I did was rip the carpet out. We decided to deal with concrete floors instead of carpet for a couple years until we could get the tile in. The den was just used for foster dogs in our rescue as they came in from shelters anyway, so it wasn't a big deal.

Finally a year ago we went out and bought a ton of tile that we found dirt cheap. I wanted a nice center piece for the room too, so I bought a big square one for right in front of the new french doors.

These are photos of the work as we started putting the tile in. I don't have any of the completed project yet. We still have to finish the walls around the edges - it looks like there was at some point serious water damage or termite damage at the bottoms. Once that's done and we get the baseboards back in I'll get the final pictures and post them too. But until then, here's the first of the photos from the work we did!

Dry fitting the tiles at the front door

Getting the tile down

The center piece

We'd done tile work in the house we lived in while we were in Florida and it came out really well. The only problem here is the concrete flooring was very uneven. That left the tile uneven, with some areas a bit higher and others lower. We went with a very thin grout line and I wish we hadn't but it's too late now! Not the best work we did but I do love that centerpiece!

Advertisement

mrs1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
Proud 'Money Pit' Owner

Tile floors

After the den we moved to the bathroom and kitchen. We did the bathroom first and when I started measuring the kitchen I realized I didn't buy enough tile. I took the tile I had and went back to the store and there wasn't any more left. I decided to go with a darker brown and do a pattern and I'm really glad I did. Now that it's done I'm really happy with it. It's my favorite of the floors we've done.

We've still got to have the cabinet guy come in and put in another bank of kitchen cabinets and the bar in the dining room and the pantry / linen closet in the hall before we can finish the rest of it. But most of it is done and grouted. Just very excited to get it totally done!

The wall to nowhere is where a long bank of living / dining room bookcases and bar used to be. It was very tacky so it came out and we'll put the new kitchen cabinets on the kitchen side with a bar across the top between the kitchen and dining room. I just have to figure out how to get rid of that stupid wall because I think it's a support wall. The cabinets will go about two feet further than that wall.

First four rows in. The entry that's to the left is the mudroom and where the fridge is. They never planned the kitchen to have a fridge. Odd. We're trying to decide if we want to move it back into the kitchen or leave it in there with a deep freeze and put a fridge drawer for basics in the kitchen when we get new cabinets in.

Waiting for grout

I don't have a picture from after we got the grout done! I'm horrible about getting those finished pictures I'm starting to realize.........

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tile floors

Me too.... that's cool.

DM
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Tile floors

very nice work...
nerodiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,362

Tile floors

I like both of the floors! Especially the decorative piece in front of the door. Nice touch!

Did you say you're waiting for other cabinets to go in before you finish tiling? I just wondered because I think they say to tile then entire floor and then put the cabinets in. But ask someone who's an expert because that's just something I saw on a home improvement show.

Keep up the good work!! I can't wait to see the pictures of it all when it's done.

Our entire basement floor was covered in 1970's two-tone green shag carpet when we moved in here. They used some kind of a black tar adhesive to secure it to the floor.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
the Musigician

Tile floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
They used some kind of a black tar adhesive to secure it to the floor.
Sorry about that. Roofing tar is all I had in the back of the truck that day, but the old owners insisted I use it anyways. The customer is always right!

DM
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #7

Tile floors

No problem DM. I'm just glad to know where to send the bill for the carpet and tar removal.

PM me with your address.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
the Musigician

Tile floors

You know where I live. Come on down Sunday and drop it off!

We'd love to see you again!

DM
Old 01-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Proud 'Money Pit' Owner

Tile floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
I like both of the floors! Especially the decorative piece in front of the door. Nice touch!

Did you say you're waiting for other cabinets to go in before you finish tiling? I just wondered because I think they say to tile then entire floor and then put the cabinets in. But ask someone who's an expert because that's just something I saw on a home improvement show.

Keep up the good work!! I can't wait to see the pictures of it all when it's done.

Our entire basement floor was covered in 1970's two-tone green shag carpet when we moved in here. They used some kind of a black tar adhesive to secure it to the floor.
The floors are really uneven where the cabinets are going. Figured we'll put them in by leveling the floor with some wood and once they're in we should be able to tile up close to them and put in a kick board in to cover anything that doesn't match up just right.

We didn't have tar under ours, but it was a very sticky substance that was yellow that we couldn't get up. While the cement floors were there everything stuck to them. So when we got ready to tile and I tried mopping the floors.............didn't work too well. So the concrete under the tile is hideous! No one will ever know................. The guest suite is going to be the same way in the sleeping room. It's not as bad because it's not an entry point from outside but there's just no way to get it completely clean. At least no quick way.....
Old 01-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #10

Tile floors

When we remodeled my mom's house, we had to level a few of the floors (my brothers did it). I remember it looked like a lot of work

I know what you mean about the sticky stuff on the floor. I had to use many many $14 cans of adhesive remover, a slam scraper and steel brushes with scrapers on them to get almost all of it up. I poured it right onto the carpet and let it soak in. Boy was it a job!

The cement still has ugly brown spots all over it but luckily they're not sticky. Have you tried adhesive remover? Since you have all but a thin layer of it up, you may not need a whole lot of it.

Barb
Old 01-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
the Musigician

Tile floors

I wonder if Mr. Bud Cline or one of our regular tile guys could suggest a way or two to smooth things out before laying the tile?
You might consider posting a question or two in the tile/flooring section if you haven't already.

DM
Old 01-10-2011, 12:46 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,280

Tile floors

Mrs1885...do you have a picture of the offending area? I'm sure we could figure it out...and if not Bud certainly could.

Advertisement

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote