Screened Porch Project - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Screened porch project

Good afternoon,
Would like to take the opportunity to present the screened porch and deck that I built onto my house over the past year. With the help of this and other forums, a great deal of youtube viewing, and many clamps, I managed to build this single handed. And, yes, it passed final inspection!

See my pictures below. Here are more details on the project:

Screened porch:
14'x12' in size.

6x6 posts for the porch deck on 12"x12"x18"deep footers. double 2x10 outside joists and rim joist, 2x10 ledger.

Porch is 4x4 PT posts on 2x4 bottom plate. There is a 2x4 top plate with double 2x6 headers on top of that - 1/2 inch ply to make it same width as the 2x4 top plate. There is a one inch vertical space in the plywood spacers where each light on the header is located, this allowed the low voltage wire to be concealed.

Rafters are 2x8 on a 6:12 pitch. There is tong and groove pine boards on the rafters and then 1/2 plywood under the shingles. Extra thickness allowed the roofing nails to not poke through! There are two skylights to allow more light to get into the living room that the porch is attached to.

The posts against the house as well as the first rafter that is attached to the house are lag bolted with FastenMaster fasteners.

All of the wiring for the fan, low voltage lights, and flood light are run above one of the headers and go into the house, down the exterior wall, and into the crawlspace. Switches are in the living room near the double door.

There are speakers connected to an airport express and receiver to allow music to be played from my iPhone while I am on the porch. Volume control is on the exterior wall inside the porch.

The door was built out of 2x8 clear douglas fir. Mortise and tenon joints of course. See "runnerduck screen door" on the web for instructions.

Everything was painted with oil based exterior primer (sherwin williams) and then coated with 2 coats of exterior duration acrylic paint (sherwin williams). For those that have wondered, I painted all of the PT, which is most of the deck, about 4 months after it was installed. No bleed through whatsoever.

The screen is attached with the most genius hardware I have seen - MiniTrack by Screen tight. Allows me to not have vinyl on the outside of the posts which is typical for screen-tight systems. Wanted to avoid that. This aluminum hardware went on the insides of the post and the screen went in very tightly with 0.175 inch spline. Very easy to remove if I ever need to replace it.
Here is a link to the mini-track system.
http://www.screentight.com/prod-minitrack.shtml

I splurged on the top of the railing and installed 5/4 x 6 ipe. Used pocket hole screws from the 2x4 below the ipe to install the ipe. Coated the ipe with marine grade waterlox. I have used interior and exterior waterlox and love their products.

Deck:
The lower deck is 12'x12' freestanding (ie not attached to the house). 4 6x6 marine grade PT posts in deep holes (20" diameter, 48" deep) embedded in concrete. Supported by double 2x12 beams at front and back.
THe entire deck was build away from the house and then slid under the bay window that you see in the pictures. Then the 5/4x6 deck boards were put on.

Final thoughts:
All in all this was a great project. I learned a great deal about building alone and how to creatively use clamps! Most important thing I did was spend a great deal of time planning this out so that all of the wires would be concealed and it would have all of the features (full thickness door,
Attached Thumbnails
Screened porch project-layot-holes.jpg   Screened porch project-hurricane-ties.jpg   Screened porch project-ready-deck-boards.jpg   Screened porch project-now-porch.jpg   Screened porch project-attachmentof-post-house.jpg  

Screened porch project-corner-framing.jpg  

Advertisement

harri320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Screened porch project

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Screened porch project-two-more-rafters-go.jpg   Screened porch project-pine-t-g-plywood-roof.jpg   Screened porch project-making-door-fir-who-needs-workshop.jpg   Screened porch project-final-product-minus-some-more-staining.jpg   Screened porch project-door-isntalled-heavy-sturdy.jpg  

Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Screened porch project

Final picture, I promise.
Happy to share the plans I used with anyone interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Screened porch project-inside-view.jpg  
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
wood hobbyist

Rewards Points: 25

Screened porch project

Great job harri320, what was your total legth of time building this and did you come up with your own plans or find some? Again great job!
weberus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weberus3 For This Useful Post:
harri320 (09-20-2012)
Old 08-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #5

Screened porch project

Thanks, appreciate the compliment!

Total time was, gulp, 1 year. But, took most last summer off since it is blood hot here in NC. With my day job being pretty time consuming, it was probably about 6 months worth of weekends and 2-3 weeks of full-time dedicated to the project.

I drew up the plans myself and had them approved by the local building department.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #6

Screened porch project

You did a great job, I like all the accent lighting too, very nice!
Big-Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 256

Screened porch project

Wow, VERY nice! Love the wood stain you used on the inside roof.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #8

Screened porch project

Thanks! But, there is no stain on the inside of the roof! Just good ol' mother nature darkening some southern yellow pine.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #9

Screened porch project

Wow. I could easily get lost in your enchanting porch! Thanks for sharing.
Fishinbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

Screened porch project

awesome
scotzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,130

Screened porch project

Looks nice although once you get the table & chairs in there not much room for movement. A good texas hold-em area.

I like the downspout water being redirected.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 298

Screened porch project

Nice job!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #13

Screened porch project

wow that is nice! estimated cost to build something like that?
coop26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Screened porch project

This is REALLY nice. I'd be curious to see the plans along with any permits you had to get and building codes you had to follow. I'm impressed!
eemichael83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #15

Screened porch project

In time or money?? Total cost was about $7,500. A few neighbors have had estimates for 15-18k to screen in over an existing deck, so I am pleased with the final cost.

Advertisement

Tags
screened porch