Restomoding A Colonial Revival In SC - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2014, 07:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Restomoding a Colonial revival in SC

Welcome to my showcase thread as my Fiancee and I restomod our 1950 Colonial Revival home in Florence SC. The concept of restomodding in very popular in the 1960-70s muscle cars where you keep the classic lines but upgrade everything else to modern technology. Our plan is to keep as much of the craftsmanship that the home was built with but also infuse modern touches and comforts. We bought the home in August of 2014 and are slowly making progress

Please feel free to follow along here or at restomodat404.blogspot.com/ Comments, suggestions and criticism welcome.

Our starting point out side

Current as of October 2014

Advertisement

Drew404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,284

Good luck.

Just be very careful to not OVER remodel or to OVER restore
beyond the median price of properties in the immediate area.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #3

I have seen that far too often were people over spend on areas and never address others. Luckily I am in the building trades and while I wont avoid all the pit falls I should be able to avoid most of them.

One of the reasons we bought an older home vs new construction is the soul and character older homes can have. Our living room has a great fireplace and wood plank wall that was almost hidden by a sea of beige paint. We opted to use the HGTV Home paint collection to take the guess work out of colors that work together.

Before with the previous owners layout

After painting.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #4

ts that time of year where the stockings are hung by the fireplace with care.

Sadly we were not able to cut our own tree this year but we do have a real Christmas tree. We are still in love with the color change we made in the living room and with the stockings on the mantel around the fireplace the only thing missing now is a real fire. Maybe next year.

On black Friday Home Depot had a really good sale on poinsettias so we picked up a pair. To dress them up a little we grabbed some sticks from the yard and hit them with a little white spray paint. We have them in our dining room over the fireplace.

Out side we didn't get too crazy. Just some lights around the front step columns bush and tree. Also had to have snoopy and his dog house.