Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #1

Share |

Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV

I just bought my house about 6 months ago, and the upstairs living room had these crazy shelves built in to the drywall. There were 9 compartments in total, 3 rows of 3. The center section was already wired for a TV, but it was nowhere near big enough to fit a respectable size TV. My 42" wouldn't even fit in it. And the shelves weren't really deep enough to even fit a tube TV in there either.

So, I decided to cut out the top 6 compartments, so there would be a bottom row of 3 compartments to be able to put the electronics, and mount cabinet doors on them.

I was trying to decide whether or not to patch the wall with brand new sheets of drywall, or just use the existing scrap pieces to patch up the wall. Since I can't fit full size pieces of drywall in my car, I decided to patch it up with small pieces.

It was my first drywall project. I used a 12" taping knife to feather out the joint compound roughly 16" from the edges to give the impression of a perfectly flat surface. After 5-6 coats of applying and sanding using a straight edge, it looked pretty good! I got a can of spray-texture and matched the orange peel texture of the rest of the wall.

While the wall was open, I used the opportunity to run the wires up to the TV. I ran an HDMI cable, component, and composite cables. But I should have ran a second HDMI cable up there. I installed a recessed structured media box behind the TV with a blue surge suppressor outlet.

The TV I installed is an LG 55" 120HZ LCD. That wall is so big that my 42" LCD I already had would look small. So, I mounted that downstairs.

I used a fixed wall mount. I tried to find the slimmest one possible. But it still isn't as slim as the Wal-Mart brand I used for another TV downstairs.

I still need to install cabinet doors for the bottom compartments. What type of doors do you think I should install? Sliding doors? Drawers? Regular Cabinet doors that open out to the side? Wood? Painted? Stained? I'd like to get your opinions...

Let me know what you think!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV-photo-1.jpg   Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV-photo-2.jpg   Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV-photo-4-2-.jpg   Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV-photo-4.jpg   Removing built in drywall shelves to wall mount TV-photo-3-2-.jpg  

homerb is offline   Reply With Quote