Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Home owner

Send a message via AIM to Bootz
Share |
Talking

Remodeling of a foreclosure

Well here it is.. the lady moved out and bought her self a foreclosed home well the price was worth what it was ... the people apparently put cigs out on the carpet (which we tore up and have put bamboo wood through out the house instead of carpet. Then I moved in and started really "nesting" lol. Well these are the latest projects from some one who has had 0 experience with anything when it comes to home installation or remodeling.

Here are the original counter tops :\

Note that awesome color of the counter tops

So we used a paint laminate on top of them

Think it turned out really nice ! Its the kind of paint that you put on show room floors but it makes it looks like marble and it gives it more strength !

Here is the sink... yes .. being from Baltimore I like nati Bo !

It was stock sink and it was really shallow too.. like 4 inches I think

So we went to a Kohler and its stainless steel tub with up to 8 inches deep... and the faucet we got was by peerless .. not a bad piece of hardware ... did alittle research and its supposed to hold its own against delta and others...

But.. before that LOL!! when trying to pull the sink out.. this little disaster happened... note the garbage disposal just laying there ... yea that was supposed to come up out of the pipe that held the trap but the people before us i guess decided it would be fun to glue it in there so there was no removing the garbage disposal for anything...

So.. yea a lot of messing with it ... this is me connecting everything else up again...

And well.. thats it for now... we are actually going to lay class into the cabinets and paint them a different color... we are going for the more modern look .. and I think its going to be a better look then the stock home ... OH the wood floor look... you can see it under my butt there.. but here is a better look after we decided.. Hey its close enough to Christmas lets put the fake tree up and lite it up ..
Attached Thumbnails
Remodeling of a foreclosure-photo-6.jpg  

Last edited by Bootz; 11-14-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Nice change on the kitchen, great job
Did not know about the paint for the counter top
I could have used some at my last house
Our kitchen renovation is still in the future

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Nice change on the kitchen, great job
Did not know about the paint for the counter top
I could have used some at my last house
Our kitchen renovation is still in the future
YEa it was really easy actually to put on.. but the temperature has be really low or something along with the humidity because it sets really fast so literally we were throwing the flakes on to the counter in rapid succession

Thanks though Dave
Old 11-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
Home owner

Know these are coming fast but these are the cabinets that we are working with... any one have any other suggestions please feel free to throw them at me ...

This is the glass style I am wanting to put into the doors

and this is the overlay I am wanting to put on top of it ... may just get regular glass though so that the over lay wont have problems

well that is them.. wanting to put the glass in and there are 6 of them.. so its going to be some work but always up for a challenge
Ps. cocobolo made the suggestion of this
You're probably right about the panels being loose, but that's perfectly normal.

It wouldn't be hard to get the panels out, but the trick is going to be to be able to do it without destroying the door frames.

The first thing that comes to mind is that you might be able to cut around the edge of the panel, but leave an extra 1/2" or so protruding from the frames. Then you could add your glass - stained glass - or whatever you have, and fit that to the size of the frame. There should be enough room behind the glass to add a piece of trim to keep the glass in.

If that doesn't appeal, try using a couple of clamps to pull one of the door frames apart at the top or bottom. See what happens. If you can get one end of the frame out, then you can slide the panel out and replace it with your glass.

I'm sure there are other things, but see if that works first.
- just wanting to keep everything in this project file so when I go to tackle this project I have everything in one place :D

Last edited by Bootz; 11-15-2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: show the different styles of glass to put in
Old 11-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
DIY staff

If you have a router--an edge guide and a straight cutting bit ---you can have those panels out and ready for glass in a matter of minutes.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Bootz (11-22-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you have a router--an edge guide and a straight cutting bit ---you can have those panels out and ready for glass in a matter of minutes.---Mike---
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
Home owner

Quote:
Yea i was looking at that.. and actually came across some DIY's However, my lady's dad came over and we took a look at them and it looks like the middle can pop out ... or cut out... then there is a stud behind them to hold them in place... so I am going to try to pursued the miss to let me have one to play with so I can get an idea how they are put together... my thinking is there is molding around the front to hold that fake wood panel to the front and the studs in the back to hold it up against the molding... But Yea Mike Thanks a lot for the contribution I appreciate it.. If all else fails I am going to do the router thing... think the lady's father has one actually
Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Home owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
Agreed Tpolk
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #9
Home owner

Any one have any experience doing the router on the kitchen Cabinets feel free to shoot me some pictures or some finished product of their work would love to get a feel of how to do it before i do it.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
DIY staff

That would mean I would have to figure out how to post pictures!!!!!

If I can figure it out,I'll open up a door for you--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
Home owner

Quote:
That would mean I would have to figure out how to post pictures!!!!!

If I can figure it out,I'll open up a door for you--
Sent you a PM about that.. hope it helps out
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootz For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-16-2010)
Old 11-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #12
the Musigician

And if that didn't help.... How to Post Pictures

DM
Bootz (11-22-2010), oh'mike (11-20-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
Home owner

Today I am taking the cabinets off the hing... so I can get a good look at them as well... I been getting alot of help from a bunch of people on here and it is greatly appreciated btw :D
Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #14
Home owner

Okay so with the research of how to do these kitchen cabinets I managed to get one over to the lady's fathers house to do a router run on them and was very pleasently surprised of how it turned out

Here they are now hollowed out the center... the center was just kinda placed in there

This is the center of them taken out of the middle... seems like the cat agrees as well to how smoothly it went

Started smoothing out the inside for where the glass will be fitting.. yea I was pretty excited about using the chisels I have since high school art class

These are my chisels that I finally found BTW... cost a lot when I was in high school for these... Cherry Wood handle and pretty nice edges on them.

they still feel great to use... maybe need a little sharpening but that is about it

Well that is one down.... 5 or so more to go... picture my progress as I go on
Old 12-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Home owner

So... was working with the router today and took care of a couple more cabinets. Decided to pop off some pictures of the process

with the help of my lady's father we marked where the router should meet the edge of the cabinet

this is it after the router was done

and the panel in the middle just popped out after a little altering of the drill bit

Well thats it for now... think we are going to get the glass but before that we are going to paint the cabinets black with some new door handles and stuff like that.. :D

Tags
disaster, house remodeling, kitchen counters, kitchen repaint, sink