Rebuilding The Land Yacht - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

Rebuilding the Land Yacht

Well I suppose I should start one of these being that I will be here for a while.

We moved to Mississippi and were promptly welcomed by Hurricane Isaac. We hadn't even unpacked yet so 130 boxes of wet stinky mushy stuff

Below a photo of what it looked like after we finally evacuated. The flooding was caused by historical amounts of rain and the opening of dam gates all over the area. We went from an inch of water in the garage to over 4 feet in less than 20 minutes. I always wondered what people meant when they say they didn't have time but wow I do now.

I have also posted what it looks like when they haul away 25 years of stuff. Totally heartbreaking but it could have been worse people died. We were lucky, we and the dogs made it out okay.

There is NOTING in this world that smells as bad as wet flooded stinky carpet that has been cooking in 90+ degree temps for 3 days. I have a kid and yes, its worse than diapers.

Haul it all out and then cut the walls and pull the insulation and then on to the rebuild. Sounds easy but its a long involved process.

I have asked a bunch of questions here and I cant thank you all enough for answering them. The information has been invaluable and I am sure there will be many more. Will post after shots as they become available, its kind of hard when you are working on a million things at once to get them all done but we will get there.

RJ
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding the Land Yacht-house-flood.jpg   Rebuilding the Land Yacht-half-way-there.jpg   Rebuilding the Land Yacht-bye-bye-stuff.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by forcedreno2012; 04-20-2013 at 11:01 PM.
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Welcome to the forum.

I've been through three floods myself (never again) so I feel your pain.

Just be sure to post your questions in the appropriate sub forums on this site and just post the pretty after pictures and stories here.

Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,836

RJ, that is heart breaking, I can only imagine how you and your family felt. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Renovating My Land Yacht

Todays efforts.....did some replacement of siding and some priming....I HATE bare wood siding just sucks up the paint like no tomorrow.

Going to attack the trim, soffit and fascia over the next few days and then get some real color up. The gutters had fallen on this side before we bought the house so the fascia rotted so this is the only area to be replaces thankfully.

Robyn
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to forcedreno2012 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

And todays effort...some color finally. Then a shot of tomorrows work lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding the Land Yacht-final-coat1.jpg   Rebuilding the Land Yacht-tomorrow.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Got most of the trim up today and replaced the rotting fascia.

Caulk Caulk Caulk...gosh I hate that stuff.

Stupid tube back snapped in two and caulk all over me, the house, the grass and the dog. Got it done with the exception of the end pieces that will wait till the other wall is done. Supposed to rain tomorrow so will clean up and sand the older fascia and hopefully get a coat of primer up before it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding the Land Yacht-trim2.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Renovating My Land Yacht

looking MUCH better. Have to do one more coat on the trim but looks heaps better than when we started.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
Retired & Not Likin' It

Rewards Points: 75

Can't tell too much from the first "before" picture, but I'm bettin' this is looking nicer than the original homestead. Right? Caulking is messy, but it is the great protector - from water and from bugs. I have used a ton of caulk on my recent project, but I think it's gonna be worth the hassle.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McClain For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (04-25-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
Renovating My Land Yacht

Jim - Just realized you are right. Here is a crappy before picture. The storm tore up the gutters and there was a single old window that we replaced with the two. We also had to replace half the siding because of flood damage.

I broke the misters caulking gun so had to get a new one today. Can't complain it was a cheap $1.50 one that has lasted over 13 years. Now I have to break in a new one. But yes caulking makes all the difference. Something I wish I had learned years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding the Land Yacht-sidebefore.jpg  
Jim McClain (04-26-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Renovating My Land Yacht

Getting there..... First coat on the porch and other wall and trim. Busted my rear end the last couple of days but really starting to see progress.

I have been in a Mexican stand off with a kamikaze flying lizard the last two days. He would jump from the bush to the house and vice versa, well today he jumped on my brush and I just reacted on instinct and lets just say he went where no lizard has gone before...as in across the yard.

Robyn
r0ckstarr (05-03-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 93

This must be so frustrating for you but the house is looking good with new windows, siding and paint!

I have one of those houses on stilts in NC. The laundry room and garage are at ground level and the house is 8' up. The laundry and garage got 14" with Hurricane Irene so I had a tiny percent of damage compared to what you had. Just curious if you had Federal Flood insurance? If so did they take care of you? I did not make a claim since laundry/garage were in the flood plain. I'm curious whether all the folks in N.J. that are still devastated from Sandy had flood insurance. It seems like the ones profiled on TV inherited their house or have owned them more than 30 years thus no mortgage company would be hounding them to stay insured.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arlo For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post

I have been in a Mexican stand off with a kamikaze flying lizard the last two days. He would jump from the bush to the house and vice versa, well today he jumped on my brush and I just reacted on instinct and lets just say he went where no lizard has gone before...as in across the yard.

Robyn

Jim
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Renovating My Land Yacht

Arlo, Thanks for the kind words.

With regards to your questions no, we did not have flood insurance. We had just moved down here, hadn't even unpacked the boxes. Had hurricane and everything else but no flood. Hindsight's 20/20

We are not in a flood zone and are 10 miles from the ocean. (I'm sure we soon will be though .) The house withstood georges and Katrina. Our flooding issue was caused by a slow moving storm with 19 inches of rain and a certain city nearby opening their floodgates without warning. Ended up with over 600 families with a minimum of 4 feet of water. We had more damage than the folks with storm surge.

I am not sure on the folks up north, there was a lot of political shenanigans that went on. Rumor has it that if they did not have flood insurance then they could purchase it and it would be back dated to prior to Sandy. Not sure if that is true or not but I hope it is true as there are many people in a world of hurt up there.

I know that the NFIP does a good job with what they have. We were down here just after Katrina helping out and from what we saw they took care of things as best they could with the sheer volume they were dealing with.

We are lucky, we retired young, have the tools and technology and a willingness to getterdone. I feel for the young families that are trying to deal with this while working and supporting their families. Compared to them, we have it easy.

Robyn
BigJim (04-29-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 05:43 PM   #14
Renovating My Land Yacht

Well 13 inches of rain in less than 24 hours...yes I said 13 INCHES. Was getting ready to dust off the sandbags again but luckily things worked as they should and no one opened their floodgates. On a sad note there are a few families that are still rebuilding down here that got another 4 feet of water yesterday. I'm not sure I could have coped with that.

Soooooo being as its wet outside I was stuck inside. We insulated 2 rooms and started fixing up the drywall prior to the new stuff getting hung. I think we are about a week away from getting the inspection done so we can close up the back half of the house.

Below is a picture of one my hard at work helpers while I was putting up the insulation. As you can see they are overworked and underfed and generally mistreated.

Robyn
Attached Thumbnails
Rebuilding the Land Yacht-spud.jpg  
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Ole Wood Worker

I would be gun shy about now, that much rain I would have sure been sweating it. You should build a 5 foot stone wall around your house to keep the water out. If I was building down there I would have a 5 foot concrete wall for my exterior walls of my house and build the regular walls on the concrete walls. I would keep the house at the regular height from the ground. When it started to rain hard just slide in a metal plate in at the door openings and it would be good to go, no flooding the house.

Advertisement

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (05-04-2013)