Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Share |

Please give me some budget friendly ideas of how to make this house more stylish

Here is a new house I just bought. Its me and the wife's first house. Up until this point, we have lived with family. Its a 2,300 sq foot house about 30 miles south of Fort Worth, TX. Build in 1983, and still has that style. And somebody smoked a lot in it and it smells.

I would be glad to hear of any budget friendly ideas that any of you might have. And if you don't mind, please post pics of your idea! I'm a very visual person, and a bit of a newb to DIY, so pics of what you're talking about would be very helpful. Plus it just makes the thread more interesting

Anyway, here are the pics.

Kitchen bay window area

Master bathroom

One of the bedrooms (they all look like this)

Formal dining room:

Master bed room:

Kitchen:

More kitchen:

Living room:

Living room ceiling:

Bennylava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Please give me some budget friendly ideas of how to make this house more stylish

Nobody? Anybody?

Old 06-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

It looks like a very vanilla type of house.

I assume you will be working around furnishings and furniture you already have?

I would move your stuff in, then come back and post more pics.

It's also hard to give advice with out knowing at least what style you prefer.

I will say I'm not crazy about your counter tops, both kitchen and bath. But that is not exactly a budget friendly change.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

New paint, countertops, scrape the ceiling....
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #5

Ditch the carpet.
Paint everything that has a wood appearance (not the countertops). Trim, cabinets, moulding, etc...

The countertops still look to be in good condition. If you do want to change them, it is a DIY project, and isn't very expensive to do. Yours wouldn't be too hard since they are straight lengths.
Pictures: Laminate countertops
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

Ditch the carpet and the blinds. Add better lighting.

If it was my house, I'd save up and gut the kitchen or the bathroom.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #7

A lot of it is personal taste, and we don't know yours.

The wooden chair rails, I'd pull them all before painting. Between the rails and the 2 tone paint it has the effect of lowering the walls/ceilings.

Crown moldings, if you like them paint them. Otherwise, I'd pull those as well.

Same with the baseboards. You can screw around with painting them in place, but I hate that. I would pull them and replace them. I finish paint the new baseboards before hanging them. Then touch up the nail holes after hanging.

Replace the fan in the living room, it is dated. The bedrooms fans are also dated, but you could live with them a while if the budget is a big deal.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #8

I would remove the chair rails and not put them back up.
Your house has nice spacious rooms, but it's dark.
Paint all the walls a light color.

The ceiling and floor molding can either be painted white or painted
the same color as the wall paint in semi gloss paint.

If you have a basement, and can install hardwood floors, let that be
something in a future plan...in other words don't replace the w to w
carpet,
wait until you can do hardwood. Start with the living areas,
then eventually do hardwood in the bedrooms as well.

We purchased a hardwood nailer at Harbor freight on sale for
99.00 and installed hardwood
three years ago, in our upstairs bedrooms. Don't make the mistake
we did, first we had wall to wall installed in the entire top
floor, two years later, we ripped it out and installed hardwood.

The first floor was already hardwood. If you're handy you can do it.

Your living room looks very dark...It would certainly benefit
from adding
more windows, or French doors if you have an outside wall...
What is outside the fireplace wall, the backyard?

Your kitchen and bath can be updated in the future as that is the
most expensive part of a house face-lift.

Start with the painting to lighten up the house.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #9
Jack of all - master none

For the smoke smell and appearance, I'd start with using a good sealing primer on all the walls, then paint. If you don't know what color, getting back to square one and making the whole house a shade of white isn't the worst thing in the world. Those carpets are going to have to go too, the smoke smell will never completely come out. The chair rail also stuck out at me as looking dated, along with those swinging doors into the dining room.

Blinds are cheap. Even if you can't afford nice ones right now, some fresh new $5 white mini-blinds will look much better than the old stuff hanging there. Faux wood blinds are not that expensive however - shop the internet.

The fans look old. You can usually find new fans on clearance every few months at the home centers. The same with the light fixtures. Also, don't underestimate the power of the internet for things. Amazon, eBay, Woot are all places to get home materials for a discount, if you're willing to spend the time looking.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #10

Hmm I hadn't given much thought to the "style". Perhaps someone could post a pic or two of some of the current styles? I can say that I would like the house to look more... up to date. If that makes any sense. I do like crown moulding and big baseboards. I had planned on doing recessed lighting here and there, to add more light and make the house look better. Here is the style I like. Maybe someone can name the style for me?

Also if its not too much trouble, maybe someone could name a few other styles for me too. With pics.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
JOATMON

Don't worry about 'style'....chances are you can't afford 'todays style'.

Except for getting rid of the smoke smell.....don't do anything....for now....

Live in the place for awhile. What you want to do today is going to change 6 months from now.....

I think one of biggest new home owners make is wanting to change everything from the beginning. You need to find out what really needs replacing....

But...that ceiling popcorn....yea, like Joe says...scrap that off....like....NOW.....

Question.....do you have gas? If so...start thinking about swapping out that stove and oven....gas will save you a boat load of money

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (06-06-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 04:33 AM   #12
registered

In the kitchen. Loose the counters. Change out to quartz. New back splash. Glass tile. Paint the cabinets. New hardware. New oven. I hate white appliances. Go with stainless. Or i do like black appliances, and the microwave could stay. Rest of the house. Go with some earth tone colors. White trim to make it pop.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
Bill Kearney

Inexpensive places to start would be with paint. The use of wood for the trim was very 80's. Lose it. Paint it.

Lose the two-tone chair rail look. If you like that look then at least update the colors. Whether or not you keep the rail is up to you. And, of course, plan on replacing all the window treatments.

Others have suggested how to address the smoke issues, and there are plenty of other threads here that discuss it.

If the kitchen cabinet boxes themselves are in good shape you could consider having the existing doors painted. Send them out and have them painted as it'll usually end up looking better. Or there are ways to order whole new doors to attach to the existing boxes. That's another way to change the style without a total renovation.

I'd very much lean toward replacing the counters in the kitchen. Which will be the perfect time to get rid of that awful electric cooktop and hideous drop-in sink. While I prefer gas for cooking, there are plenty of more modern options for electric cooktops. Same thing with that oven. But if still works and your new style doesn't conflict with it then you could postpone replacing it. Just make sure whatever replacement you consider will fit in the same sized opening. No sense in refreshing the cabinets only to have to do it again for a different oven size.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #14

I think the in the kitchen you have to use some light colors because from my point of view it’s pretty dark in there . If not u can use some under cabinet lights but I think light colors would be better, just my 2 cents. There are many tips you can use on this blog, I personally found it very useful when I was remodeling my kitchen I hope it will be of great help to you too
lambomarta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Exterior Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Don't worry about 'style'....chances are you can't afford 'todays style'.

Except for getting rid of the smoke smell.....don't do anything....for now....

Live in the place for awhile. What you want to do today is going to change 6 months from now.....

I think one of biggest new home owners make is wanting to change everything from the beginning. You need to find out what really needs replacing....

But...that ceiling popcorn....yea, like Joe says...scrap that off....like....NOW.....

Question.....do you have gas? If so...start thinking about swapping out that stove and oven....gas will save you a boat load of money
+1

Great advice here John.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote