Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #31
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Middle TN
Posts: 96
Share |
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Looks Great!

I have some in one hallway from when i bought the home, But I want to extend it into the dining room, ( Do they go well in living rooms ? )
and the other hallway. atleast....

Firefighter3244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #32
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,770
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


To figure the angles I use one of these laying on a 2 X 4 on the treads.
http://www.starrett.com/industries/p...ter-cut-errors
It tells you the exact angle to cut a single or double bevel.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Those frames look great. I am nearly ready to throw myself down the stairs because I cannot get my miter angles for the stair slope to meet up. Any tips?
cedaly1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #34
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,064
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Use a scrap piece of the mold and trace the top and bottom lines on the wall let the end run wild then trace the other piece to cross the other one you drew, see where they intersect, now just transfer the points to the scrap and cut, look at the angle on the saw and cut the good molding the same.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
cedaly1968 (02-20-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


So you just painted the wall and attached the picture frames to that? No plywood or paneling first? What type of moulding do you use for the picture frames. Everything I have found is notched on one edge to hold glass for a picture... This will leave a gap on the wall. Any help is appreciated!
adam.johnson25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #36
Member
 
kimberland30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 325
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


I love the look of this and might see if the hubs is willing to tackle another project. He's going to ban me from these boards one of these days.

You stated that you put the frames 3" from the bottom of the chair rail and 3" from the top of the baseboard, and 3" apart. Did you measure down the length of the wall to get your frame size, or did you come up with a standard size and cut it to fit? I'm curious because in your photos it looks like it goes wall-to-wall in perfect symmetery. Of is there a frame closer to the end of the wall that isn't the same size as the others? Do I make any sense?
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,064
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.johnson25 View Post
So you just painted the wall and attached the picture frames to that? No plywood or paneling first? What type of moulding do you use for the picture frames. Everything I have found is notched on one edge to hold glass for a picture... This will leave a gap on the wall. Any help is appreciated!
I didn't paint the walls first on my jobs, I always laid it out on the walls so there wouldn't be mistakes, pencil marks don't look good over fresh paint. You can glue and pin the molding to the sheet rock wall, the trick is to angle the nails, don't shoot straight in. You will probably want to prep the molding by caulking and filing the sprig holes before you paint also.

Kinberland30, measure your wall and divide the number of boxes you want, then just do the math and lay out the wall and see how you like it, if you feel the boxes are too small or too large just take one or two off or add a couple then do the layout again.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-02-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #38
Member
 
kimberland30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 325
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Kinberland30, measure your wall and divide the number of boxes you want, then just do the math and lay out the wall and see how you like it, if you feel the boxes are too small or too large just take one or two off or add a couple then do the layout again.
Thanks! Another question...I have plaster walls (aka uneven surface) so maybe I'll have to caulk around all the trim for it to be nice and flush against the wall? A job like that might convince me to keep the walls as they are.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,064
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
Thanks! Another question...I have plaster walls (aka uneven surface) so maybe I'll have to caulk around all the trim for it to be nice and flush against the wall? A job like that might convince me to keep the walls as they are.
On plaster walls you could have some problems as you said, and the plaster could chip and crack also. If you ever decided to remove the trim you could really have a mess to repair, unlike drywall, the plaster is much less forgiving.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #40
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I didn't paint the walls first on my jobs, I always laid it out on the walls so there wouldn't be mistakes, pencil marks don't look good over fresh paint. You can glue and pin the molding to the sheet rock wall, the trick is to angle the nails, don't shoot straight in. You will probably want to prep the molding by caulking and filing the sprig holes before you paint also.

Kinberland30, measure your wall and divide the number of boxes you want, then just do the math and lay out the wall and see how you like it, if you feel the boxes are too small or too large just take one or two off or add a couple then do the layout again.
Did the molding you used have the lip on one side because it is actually for picture frames? Did you just caulk that gap after it was on the wall?
adam.johnson25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #41
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,064
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.johnson25 View Post
Did the molding you used have the lip on one side because it is actually for picture frames? Did you just caulk that gap after it was on the wall?
These aren't my pictures posted earlier in the thread. When I was in business the mold did not have a lip, it was flat on back. In the lower part of this link there are several moldings which have a clover leaf look, these are basically what I used, you can also use a base cap.
http://www.interiortrimandsupply.com/trimmiscmold.htm
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #42
Member
 
kimberland30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 325
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
On plaster walls you could have some problems as you said, and the plaster could chip and crack also. If you ever decided to remove the trim you could really have a mess to repair, unlike drywall, the plaster is much less forgiving.
Yeah, we have to repair patches anytime we remove a nail. Joy.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
Jack of all - master none
 
hyunelan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 1,195
Default

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway


I was the one who created this thread, and that's my foyer/hallway in the pictures. "Panel molding" is what I used, straight off the shelf from home depot. It is in the store by their prefinished moldings.

This might have been what I used, hard to tell without looking at it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ornamenta...8#.UYRxVJwo5Co

hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
BigJim (05-03-2013), oh'mike (05-04-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.