Picture Molding Wainscot In Foyer And Stairway - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway

I am just finishing up this project, so I thought I'd post some pictures. I did the downstairs portion of this about 5-6 weeks ago, and was waiting for grad-school to slow down so I could move on to the stairs.

Downstairs, I pulled the cheapo baseboard and replaced it with a decorative 6" version. I put a chair rail at 36" above the floor. Using colonial molding, I used the base dimensions of 24" high x 18" wide 'panels.' This gave me 3" above the new baseboard, and 3" below the chair rail. So, I obviously spaced the 'panels' 3" apart. It is all painted in semi-gloss white. I had to repaint all of the other trim around the doors, because it looked dingy compared to the nice, new paint.

I started working on the stairs on Sunday. Same chair rail and molding, with same spacing, but instead of baseboard, I just went off of the stringer that was on the stairs. It needs another coat or two of paint (notice the blue tape), but for the most part this is what it will look like.

We still need to decide what color we want to do the walls above the waincot, then get scaffolding and do that project (ugh). I also want to put some decorative molding/casing around the entryways, and maybe some nice decorative caps above the doors. Not sure, one thing at a time. I wanted to finish this wainscot, because the dining room is getting torn into next week.

Advertisement

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Looks great!! Well done!

Advertisement

LeviDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Great work! Have you thought about painting the trim a different color? While it was in its unfinished stage, the golden color makes it stand out more than when the walls and trim is white.
Green Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #4

Right now, I think I'm just going to leave it all white. There are many options for paint in the future though: paint the frames a different color, paint the insides of the frames, paint the outsides of the frames, etc. I also thought about some sort of pinstripe on or around the frames too - all future ideas. After I get the upper portion painted, something might standout as a great idea to compliment/contrast the wall. Right now, they'll just stay all white.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

LOOKS VERY NICE!...nice work!
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

very nice indeed!
jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Hello,

how did you get the angle cuts correct for the molding that is going down stairs? I am trying to do the same but am having a hell of a time figuring out the angles I need to cut the molding so they but up correctly.

Thanks
Jason
JaysPTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysPTG View Post
Hello,

how did you get the angle cuts correct for the molding that is going down stairs? I am trying to do the same but am having a hell of a time figuring out the angles I need to cut the molding so they but up correctly.

Thanks
Jason
I used 2 tools - there may be easier ways, but this is what I had. 1. Angle-finder (not sure if this is the proper name). 2. Protractor.

#1 was about $5 at Ace Hardware. It's 2 pieces that swivel in the center with a wing-nut to tighten it down. You put it up to the wall and bend it to the angle you need, then tighten down the wing-nut. Now you can take your angle with you. I then traced out the angle on a piece of scrap, and measured it with the protractor. Divide the result by 2 (2 pieces of wood are being cut) and cut your angles. For example, if you find that it is a 42* angle you need, cut each piece of wood to 21*. If you don't cut the 2 pieces at an identical angle, you won't get them to butt-up properly.

As soon as you get the first one done, just go into production making your pieces and it goes rather quickly - the first one might take a while to get it right. Practice with some cheap scraps first, save your moulding for after you know what to cut at.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Really nice job! I tackled a similar project in my place, but didn't have to worry about any crazy angles... don't think I would have tried it if I had to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Giant View Post
Great work! Have you thought about painting the trim a different color? While it was in its unfinished stage, the golden color makes it stand out more than when the walls and trim is white.
My 2 cents - keep the trim and wall white, then get your color in above the chair rail. I think the effect works best when it's subtle. This is a pretty good example: http://howidiy.com/entry/view/140/Bedroom-chic
diy mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with DIY Mike: Keep the section below the chair rail white/same color. You've done such a great job, I would hate to see it diminished by multi-colored paint within the panels (which, IMHO, would give it a less-classic look).
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

Great job. That looks really nice.
ConstantChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Very nice work! For my stairs, I've figured out the angles, 48/2=24 degrees for the sharp angle of the picture frame molding going up the stairs, but my miter saw can't cut an angle that sharp without using a piece of guide wood. Did you use a miter saw, and did you have to fiddle with a guide board to cut the sharp angle?
tlee0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #13

Yes, I used a miter saw as you are describing. I just had a block of wood that I used so that I could rotate the piece of trim I was cutting 90*. So, instead of cutting on 24*, you would turn the trim so it is sticking out at you, and cut on 66*. (I think... for some reason just talking about angles usually mixes me up - I'm a visual person when it comes to cutting angles).
Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #14

Here are some updated pictures of what it looks like with color on the wall above the wainscot.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway-img_5096-medium-.jpg   Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway-img_5097-medium-.jpg   Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway-img_5098-medium-.jpg   Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway-img_5099-medium-.jpg   Picture molding wainscot in foyer and stairway-img_5100-medium-.jpg  

Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Do work

Rewards Points: 75

Great work. I really like it all white.

Advertisement

liquidvw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to liquidvw For This Useful Post:
noone (05-26-2012)