Painted Wood Walls - Couldn't Take The Depressing Darkness! - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
Proud 'Money Pit' Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edge of the Cumberland Plateau, TN
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to mrs1885
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


We did a good bit of stuff to the house before we started taking pictures of it. One of the first things I did that I did kind of photo was painting the great room.

You walk into a huge room when you come in the front door. Well, now you do. Before you walked into the great room and there was a horrid dark wood book case and tacky gold plastic barrier in the living room part. I ripped it out and I'm only partially finished. Still need to have the handyman guy come put in another short bank of kitchen cabinets and the pantry to close off the old back hall which moves the entrance to the guest bathroom to the living room from the kitchen. I think walking through a kitchen to go to and from a bathroom is just gross.

Anyway, you walk into a huge open room now. The walls are super thick pine that they'd stained a dark color. The only light was from a set of double windows in the dining area and a single window in the living room. Both of them where small so little light got in to begin with. Add dark walls and dark floors to a already lightless room and it's just depressing.

So I pulled everything off the walls and started painting. I alternated a canvas color white wall with a light nautical color blue. Most of the decorations we have are nautical so it was a good fit.

So, the few photos I do have are below.

All the walls were like this:



After painting:





Forgive the cluttered mess. I just moved things in piles out of the way as I was painting....





Still need to finish up the trim paint. Then I'll start working on the floors. No one knows how old our house is, but they estimated around 80 years. When they pulled up the floors in the back half of the house on the first floor, which is the original part of the house, they found 16 to 18 inch wide solid oak plank floors with hand hammered square nails. Sadly, the owners over the years had just been tossing layer after layer of plywood over the old floors and there was a ton of water damage so nothing was salvagable. What's there now they think is probably 25 to 30 years old. It's real solid hardwood but it badly needs to be sanded and refinished. Hoping I can talk hubby into a serious refinish so we can go with a lighter finish. The dark wood is nice for hiding dirt, but it's just so depressing. I like light, bright, open houses!

Advertisement

mrs1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


Me too.... except when I'm trying to sleep.....lol

Looks good!

DM

Advertisement

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,413
Rewards Points: 2,362
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


Welcome to the forum Mrs1885!

That's looking much more cheerful! I like it!

I hope you'll show more pics as you progress.

I like the nautical theme too.

Barb
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We did a good bit of stuff to the house before we started taking pictures of it. One of the first things I did that I did kind of photo was painting the great room.

You walk into a huge room when you come in the front door. Well, now you do. Before you walked into the great room and there was a horrid dark wood book case and tacky gold plastic barrier in the living room part. I ripped it out and I'm only partially finished. Still need to have the handyman guy come put in another short bank of kitchen cabinets and the pantry to close off the old back hall which moves the entrance to the guest bathroom to the living room from the kitchen. I think walking through a kitchen to go to and from a bathroom is just gross.

Anyway, you walk into a huge open room now. The walls are super thick pine that they'd stained a dark color. The only light was from a set of double windows in the dining area and a single window in the living room. Both of them where small so little light got in to begin with. Add dark walls and dark floors to a already lightless room and it's just depressing.

So I pulled everything off the walls and started painting. I alternated a canvas color white wall with a light nautical color blue. Most of the decorations we have are nautical so it was a good fit.

So, the few photos I do have are below.

All the walls were like this:



After painting:





Forgive the cluttered mess. I just moved things in piles out of the way as I was painting....





Still need to finish up the trim paint. Then I'll start working on the floors. No one knows how old our house is, but they estimated around 80 years. When they pulled up the floors in the back half of the house on the first floor, which is the original part of the house, they found 16 to 18 inch wide solid oak plank floors with hand hammered square nails. Sadly, the owners over the years had just been tossing layer after layer of plywood over the old floors and there was a ton of water damage so nothing was salvagable. What's there now they think is probably 25 to 30 years old. It's real solid hardwood but it badly needs to be sanded and refinished. Hoping I can talk hubby into a serious refinish so we can go with a lighter finish. The dark wood is nice for hiding dirt, but it's just so depressing. I like light, bright, open houses!
You may or may not be able to lighten the wood, as it may be a naturally dark wood. As wood ages, it does tend to darken.

Perhaps if you do refinish it and try for a lighter colour and you're still not happy with it, why not just lay down a light coloured area rug?
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Proud 'Money Pit' Owner
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Edge of the Cumberland Plateau, TN
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to mrs1885
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
You may or may not be able to lighten the wood, as it may be a naturally dark wood. As wood ages, it does tend to darken.

Perhaps if you do refinish it and try for a lighter colour and you're still not happy with it, why not just lay down a light coloured area rug?
I looked at some of them in the store the other day. I'd love to put one down now, but we run a pet rescue and still have a few dogs in the house. I know if I try to put one down now it'll be ruined, so when the last of the dogs leave - they're going in two weeks - those area rugs are going in the living room and dining room and a runner in the foyer!
mrs1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I looked at some of them in the store the other day. I'd love to put one down now, but we run a pet rescue and still have a few dogs in the house. I know if I try to put one down now it'll be ruined, so when the last of the dogs leave - they're going in two weeks - those area rugs are going in the living room and dining room and a runner in the foyer!
Well, that certainly explains why you wouldn't have rugs in there now!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #7
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Painted wood walls - couldn't take the depressing darkness!


I think maybe a crocheted "rag" rug might be a good idea for now, cheap, washable and disposable if they get too bad!
If you're interested, you can crochet your own from old rags, t-shirts, etc. too! If you don't know how, the helpful folks at www.craftforum.com could likely help with that as well.

DM

Advertisement

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basement Walls - Which Paint?Drylok? HandyFrank Building & Construction 3 10-17-2010 01:07 PM
Best way to attach pressure treated wood to painted siding ? 1freebird Building & Construction 1 09-30-2009 11:02 PM
Need help with very ugly basement walls GrandmaStormy Remodeling 5 03-05-2009 03:43 PM
finish coat over painted walls a_theater_god Remodeling 2 07-30-2006 11:27 PM
Tile Walls - Wood Floors - which goes first? MikeinBurien Flooring 1 03-04-2006 07:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts