Off Work For The Next Week Completely Remodeling Bathroom - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Wife Pleaser

Rewards Points: 25

Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom

Hey Guys and Gals!

As the title suggests, I took a week off of work and will be completely remodeling my bathroom. I'd like to post my progress here and possibly get some pointers along the way. I've been reading some posts here trying to get a feel for the job ever since I decided to do this remodel and thought this very thread might come in handy for someone in the future as I expect many issues along the way. Such as...

-Moving the toilet over some as it is too close to the bathtub
-Moving the vanity over as well
-water damage on floor and wall

And many others I'm sure. I'm planing on demo-ing everything down to the studs, even the floor down to the joists. Laying down tile on the floor and walls, heated floor, new bathtub and vanity, pot lights and plug in the bathroom as there is none. Oh and did I mention this is our only bathroom!? I'll be sending the old lady and kid to her moms for most of this reno...

Wish me luck, I know it won't all get done in the next 9 days but I'll give her a go regardless!
Attached Thumbnails
Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-before.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-toilet-prox.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-water-damage-tub.jpg  

Advertisement

ChuckBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

good luck and what a good looking project its going to be! Your right to just demo everything especially if your on a time constraint working around old stuff is just too much of a pita. I am looking forward to seeing the progress of this so please post pics as you go!

Advertisement

airborne82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hello and welcome Chuck, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

Is it 5' x 10' sure look familiar, did the same thing last year, I removed the tub altogether and went with a custom shower complete with concrete shower pan.

I also moved the toilet away from the tub, to allow for a larger inside dimension on the shower, I had to cross a floor joist, if yours is the same you will be facing the same thing, laced some 3/4" ply and glued and screwed a piece back in to patch the joist.

Looks like you have the same problem, if you put a level on the tub, it will be slanted toward the outside (toward the toilet) meaning you can never get a good enough seal and water ends up leaking out. As I was building a shower, I removed the tub and found the floor was out by 3/4" across 3'.

Anyway, post some pic's of your adventure and if you can enlist some help it will sure speed the process up, mine took somewhat longer than what you have allotted in your schedule. That may be due to the shower though.

Mark
Old 04-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Great project sure to increase the value of your home. I hope you have another bathroom.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like work for someone...
With that storage unit you could go to a pedestal sink, space would feel bigger.

Gary
Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,272

Keep us posted! 9 day will be a hustle.

Get your supplies lined up so you don't have to waste a lot of time running off to the store.--

Good luck----Mike----
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Wife Pleaser

Jackofall1
-Yes it is a 5x10.

GBR in WA
-We're getting rid of the storage unit and are going with a 48" from Home Depot, (if they ever get around to fulfilling my order)

oh'mike
-We spent a pretty penny on the most obvious things already, I had to see what I was dealing with before I got some items tho...

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I'm happy to report the studs look great, vapor barrier is holding up good too. You can see in the following picts that it was obviously time to reno this puppy. All the drywall has been removed, except the ceiling, that will be torn down as well. You can see above the bathtub taps they had to cut the drywall and do some repairs at some point. That big window frame looking thing above that tho is a mystery. A window there would lead into a bedroom.

Anyway, gonna remove some drywall screws from the studs while I wait for help hauling out that bathtub.

Later!
Attached Thumbnails
Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-shower-head-damage.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-tap-greenboard.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-walls-gutted.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-weird-structure.jpg  
Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
DIY staff

That looks like a steel tub----Shouldn't weigh much at all!

What kind of tub and surround are you doing?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Looking good, Id be curious to see what problems you run into. Im looking at doing mine too here soon. Best of luck!
mikeylikesit580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
Wife Pleaser

oh'mike
-You're right, it didn't end up weighing that much at all. It was nice to have some help even tho I really didn't need it, those beers don't drink themselves!
I bought a drop in tub. I'm planning on tiling the front of it and the walls. I am also considering having the wall stick out to stop any further water from dripping down the sides of the wall/tub area. I also want it to hang low enough from the ceiling to hide the shower curtain bar from the outside.

mikeylikesit580
- Problems? Oh ya, I got em! The 1/2 of MDF above the floor is rotten, peeled that off. The sub-subfloor has to go too. You can tell by the dark spots in the following pict. Gotta cut that out. The toilet drain is right in the middle of the joist as I look to the future problems I face. (More on that soon) A tap under the sink was seized so i had to shut the cut-off valve it luckily had off. Need to replace all the taps (shut-off valves) while I'm at it, don't want other taps seizing. Supporting the new subfloor without a joist right under the edge of the wall and the floor is also a problem. Cutting the floor out right against the edge of the wall with my skillsaw seems tricky. The bathtub faucet would not come off without the help of my sawsall, etc etc etc I'm sure, I'll keep ya'll posted on this.

Here's my night ending pict. I left enough rotten MDF to install my new toilet, I was dying to try it out. WHOSH! Sweet...

Later...
Attached Thumbnails
Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-bathroom-floor.jpg  

Last edited by ChuckBlack; 04-10-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: It looks like water is leaking out the toilet but that's the left-behind paper from the vinyl floor peeled off the MDF.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #11
DIY staff

I'm concerned with your choice of a deck mounted tub.

If you are going to have a shower head-----you will be creating a leak problem.

Any water that misses the tub and hits the deck instead will need a place to go---Where will that be?

----Mike-----
Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
Wife Pleaser

oh'mike
-This drop in tub by Maxx has a flange on 3 sides.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
DIY staff

You are thinking! Keep us posted---Mike----
Old 04-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
Wife Pleaser

Well, it's been pretty slow going. Planning/drinking beer and more planning...
I managed to get most of the electrical done. I'm getting rid of the ceiling light, moving that power over the mirror on the wall. I'm adding 4 pot lights to the ceiling in the main area and 2 in the shower area. I have that electrical run up to the attic.

Since I'm putting in heated flooring I need to have a dedicated line to the thermostat in the bathroom. I got lucky and remembered I had a an old line from the breaker box to the add on. There used to be a baseboard heater in there. I salvaged that line and ran it up into the bathroom. I also purchased a 20 amp GFCI breaker to replace the breaker that is currently feeding that line.

Plumbing is going ok. Since the vanity isn't in yet it's hard to finish that. Home Depot was originally going to get it in for me by the end of March, that then changed to April 5th. I'm still waiting. I've called and they said they put out a request for tracking number, I still haven't heard back about that either. Not looking good.

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking on the plumbing. My problem was that the toilet is too close to the bathtub so I had to move both the toilet and vanity over. I have't started with the toilet yet, waiting till I get to the floor for that.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-electrical.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-plumb1.jpg   Off work for the next week completely remodeling bathroom-plumb2.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
DIY staff

You are missing the air chambers on those water lines.--(Knockers)---Mike---

Advertisement

Peaches0509 (01-13-2013)