New House, New Project: Workbench! - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New House, new project: Workbench!

Hey guys, I'm about to start a workbench for my basement. I just bought a 1940 Bungalow/ranch style house (it was expanded upon).

The basement will be a whole separate post, as there are many fixin's to do there!

Some questions first!

1)When building a workbench, approx 30DX60WX36H, which fastener is better, wood screws or lag screws? This table will be holding project lumber, small hand tools but nothing big like a drill press. At most a miter saw.

2) I recently tore out a stinky pond and the fence around it, and can recycle the 4x4 posts for table legs, truss, support. Does anyone have a good pic of their simple workbench for inspiration?

anyone use recycled materials?

Pics to follow as the project continues!

Advertisement

Rono8582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono8582 View Post
Hey guys, I'm about to start a workbench for my basement. I just bought a 1940 Bungalow/ranch style house (it was expanded upon).

The basement will be a whole separate post, as there are many fixin's to do there!

Some questions first!

1)When building a workbench, approx 30DX60WX36H, which fastener is better, wood screws or lag screws? This table will be holding project lumber, small hand tools but nothing big like a drill press. At most a miter saw.

2) I recently tore out a stinky pond and the fence around it, and can recycle the 4x4 posts for table legs, truss, support. Does anyone have a good pic of their simple workbench for inspiration?

anyone use recycled materials?

Pics to follow as the project continues!
I think using recycled materials is an admirable thing to do if they are in good shape. If they are pressure treated they shouldn't be used in the house.

Screws are absolutely fine for what you are doing.

Advertisement

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
I think using recycled materials is an admirable thing to do if they are in good shape. If they are pressure treated they shouldn't be used in the house.

Screws are absolutely fine for what you are doing.
Curious why you wouldn't want to use pressure treated inside...The bottom plate is pressure treated...

Check out my Man Blog
jasonreck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 636

Pressure treat post would be fine and would not rot at the bottom when in contact with the concrete floor.
You just not suppost to use it for building such things as inside framing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonreck71 View Post
Curious why you wouldn't want to use pressure treated inside...The bottom plate is pressure treated...

Check out my Man Blog
Well, there is always a big debate on the issue, but from what I've read the consensus is to not use it as it contains chemicals and such. How big of a deal is it really? I'm not sure, but it's enough of a discussion that I avoid it.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #6

regarding the reclaimed, recycled wood:

the posts i recovered from the pond, about 9 - 4ft posts, were sitting touching soil outside for at least 5 years, so I dont know how that affects the amount of chemicals still in it.

there are also 4 -7ft 4x4 posts that were being used as main supports. We put in 4inch lolly columns throughout instead, and these were doug fir I believe and in good shape, so i didnt want to throw them out.

I'm thinking 3/4" single, maybe 2 layers glued as the top. Pics to come soon with materials ready to go!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I made my workbench completely out of salvaged lumber, there is a ton of construction in the area and it's crazy what they throw out. I swear I could build a house with the "scraps" they throw out. The only thing I had to buy were the screws, I used 2.5" wood screws and it's solid.

I've added some pictures my son seems to thing it a bench to repair broken toys or and a great place to play with daddy's tools.

It's 54"x32"x36.5".

cdnNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 636

http://www.finewoodworking.com/workbench
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Here is a quick/cheap workbench that I made up for in my basement.

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

I used a similar wood on mine and I took a torch to it to give it some character, then I put a few coats of poly on it.
Bluehawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

[quote=Rono8582;825790]Hey guys, I'm about to start a workbench for my basement.Some questions first!

2) I recently tore out a stinky pond and the fence around it, and can recycle the 4x4 posts for table legs, truss, support. Does anyone have a good pic of their simple workbench for inspiration?/quote]

Man, how I remember my youth, reading your ambitions. Now, I'd rather go buy such a bench at Harbor Freight, complete with neat drawers and shelves and took racks and overhead workspace lighting and built-in vises, etc, and probably half the cost (even with the salvaged 4x4's), 10x the looks, 1/10 the irritations and "oopsies" and time spent and ..... work! I'd find another place to use thos 4x4's and other salvaged materials.

Life's too short ....

So many projects, so little time (once you get done with that bench-building thing!!

PS: No Harbor Freight? OK, Lowes & H. Depot, etc., are decent second choices!
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 PM   #12

a good workbench is always a must have i feel. They can be fun to make ! this is 8' x 6' x 32" and will hold me up.

New House, new project: Workbench!-workbench1.jpg

New House, new project: Workbench!-workbench3.jpg

Last edited by mstew; 01-25-2012 at 06:16 PM.
mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #13

Here is an update, top frame squared away and 4x4 legs added. I decided last minute to add a bottom shelf. I screwed it to the inside of the legs so when I'm working on something I'm not hitting my knees!

Dimensions are 60L x 35 H x 24D. The reason I went 35 instead of 36 high is that I had exactly 70" posts that were the old supports for the house. 2 simple cuts with a circ saw down the middle was much easier than cutting many pieces. Plus the 3/4 ply wood will make it almost 36"high!

Question, should I double up the plywood for 1 1/2 ", or just keep it single?
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #14

I'm also thinking of poly for the top. I like plywood because if it gouges I can just back out the screws and replace it.

Taking a tip from some online pictures and because my basement is old and not true, I'm going to put lag screws on each foot to act as levelers.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rono8582 View Post
I'm also thinking of poly for the top. I like plywood because if it gouges I can just back out the screws and replace it.

Taking a tip from some online pictures and because my basement is old and not true, I'm going to put lag screws on each foot to act as levelers.
Consider topping the plywood benchtop with a sheet of masonite. It's cheap, it's smooth, and it's easy to pull off and replace when it gets too torn up for your liking.

Advertisement

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reclaimed , recycled , table , wood , workbench