Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

My small house remodel project

I have been a lurker on here for a while but finally registered. Thought I would throw some pictures up of my progress. I will start by just copying m posts from another forum up to where I am now. Look forward to learning a lot more on here!

7/18/2010
Probably will be slow progress as I have a lot of other projects going on and will be as money and time allow. This was my grandpas house and where my dad grew up. When my grandpa bought this house the whole house was full of grain. You couldn't even open a door, it went through a upstairs window. When he died I put his money back into the house and had the outside resided, all new Anderson windows and a new roof. Rented it out for few years after that and finally the renter moved out, well was behind on rent and left the place trashed. Pics are how he left it and not much was updated inside from when my grandpa had it. First Ill be putting new carpeting down and hopefully removing the paneling and dry-walling. Also redoing the bath is high on the list.

The right hand side of the house in the next pic where it slopes down and you see the two offset windows is where there use to be a one car garage.

wagonproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #2

The layout. The upstairs door is in the dining room and one of the basement doors is in the bathroom.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

7/25/2010
Well been working on it after work when I can. Been working on the living room and what my grandparents used as a bedroom though it doesn't have a closet. May try to put one in under the stairs that go upstairs as the wall is right behind the bedroom. Progress as of a hour or so ago.

Living room

Bedroom before this morning

Bedroom now

Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #4

Both ceilings had a cardboard like tile that was glued to the old drywall which came down pretty easy and made it a lot easier to pull the drywall down.

The upstairs floor which looks like 1x3 or such, though it was pretty cool.

The old paneling

It was easier to just use the wrecking bar and pull the old drywall ceiling down. Ill take the nails out of the floor joist later as it will be much easier now. But I've been taking out all the nails out of the drywall on the walls with a "crows foot" or some name like that tool as it goes pretty fast and I can just take the walls down in sheets.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5

7/26/2010
Tonight's progress. All the drywall is down. The walls came down in sheets as I took out all the nails which made it easy. Just took them down and cut them into 3 pieces so it was easier to carry. The wall between the living room and bedroom had paneling on both sides with wall paper over the paneling so I wasn't able to remove the nails. So I just busted the wall out. That's whats all over the floor.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM   #6

8/6/2010
Yes the wiring is up to code. :crazy: I am going to check it over though. Ill be replacing all the outlets and switches too. Got the living room and bedroom cleaned up. In the bathroom there is a door with a stairway that leads to the basement that I am going to get rid of. The bedroom is on the other side of the stairs so I am removing the stairs to the basement and going to build a closet where they are. I figure even if it only can have a 36-40" some door due to the stairs going to the upstairs its still better then having no closet at all in the bedroom. But more then likely the inside opening will be larger as I can go under the upstairs stairs a little more. Hopefully the closet will be started this week as I got the wood earlier this week. You can kinda of see in my quick MS paint drawing what I mean.

And how it sits now.

Looking into the bathroom from the dining room. The door on the right leads to the basement.

Stairs before.

Stairs now.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #7

8/8/2010
My small update.

Looking from the bedroom.

From the bathroom.

From the basement.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #8

8/14/2010
Got the wall between the bathroom and closet framed in. I had to build 2 separate walls since the wall is so thick there from when the addition was put on. I will insulate the walls to help keep noise down from the bathroom.

Looking from the dining room.

Looking from the bedroom where I also got the closet doorway roughed in.

I also had to add another sheet of wood to the floor to bring it up level with the existing floor.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #9

8/15/2010
Got some demo done this morning.

Here's the barn I redid when I redid the house. The left "lean-to" wasn't closed in. There was no garage door on that side and the walls on that side where just wood that had wide slats in them. It was used as a "corn crib." Also the right "lean-to" wasn't even there. The barn use to end on the right side of the small service door. I added the right "lean-to" to make the barn more symmetrical.

And how it sits in relation to the house.

The small building between the garage and barn is a well house. There use to be a barn that is bigger then the other one there that was the horse barn. But it was getting old and wasn't worth redoing so I just tore it down. Also in the middle of the circle driveway is the pine tree which will hopefully be coming out this fall or next spring as I have a huge flag pole that I will be putting in there.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #10

8/17/2010
Got a little done yesterday.

And how it sits right now.

Found this when I removed the vanity mirror from when they had renovated the bathroom. Thought it was pretty cool. "Listen to Priscilla unless Al is home." My grandma was Priscilla and my grandpa Al.

The hole in the floor is what they used as a laundry chute. The door on the vanity opened and you threw your clothes into a basket in the basement. Also that huge pipe floor to ceiling is a vent that I am going to try to put in the wall if I can. If I can't ill have to build something around it. And the pipe coming out of it is for the sink. I am going to cap it on the tall pipe and just run it straight down from the sink and make a turn in the basement to put it back into the big pipe.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #11

8/19/2010
Got all the drywall off except behind the toilet. Hope to get the toilet/tub out this weekend and go look for a new vanity/tub/toilet. And hopefully start dry walling the rooms here soon.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #12

And that's where it sits right now. Been really busy with school and the farm. Hope to get back at it here soon.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonproject View Post
And that's where it sits right now. Been really busy with school and the farm. Hope to get back at it here soon.
Buddy, you got your work cut out for you, we wish you the best.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 6

Those laundry chutes are handy. Do you plan on saving that?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Keep us updated!

no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote