Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #1

Share |

My new carport & workshop project

I've been on this forum for a couple of weeks now, just got finished reading the "German house rebuild" thread, what an awesome project! Now here's the beginning of my own project. I'm building a 6x7m workshop with a 6x6m carport on the front. I'm working on it as I have time, mostly at weekends, I spend most weeks living/working in Auckland, a large city just over 2 hours drive away so don't get much done on it during the week.
I bought the land, in Morrinsville, a small town near Hamilton, New Zealand, back in around 2005, planning to do this soon after, but the recession hit just as I was about to have the plans drawn; I put the project on hold due to not having much work at the time. That did, however, give me plenty of time to source cheap/free materials for much of the project.

I got the excavation done on a Friday about 6 weeks ago, then myself and a local builder got it ready for concrete on the Saturday. The following Saturday, we poured and finished the floor slab.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02096-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02099-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02120-resized.jpg  
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #2

Here's the next few weeks' progress, walls and roof framed & plywood roof deck installed. The wall framing and bracing sheets were freebiees,I know a guy in the demolition business who I got much of it from (and most of the clay tiles on the left as well, they are for my roofing business). The bracing was cover sheets from packs of flooring ply. I had to buy the trusses, beams and steel posts.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02133-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02286-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02346-resized.jpg  
Old 08-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Mod

Looking good, I like the galvanized post.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-30-2011 at 06:15 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:24 AM   #4

I now have the fascia, barge boards and ceiling battens in the carport done. I would have got more done, but a brick wall got demolished at a site I was on during the week, I scored the bricks then had to remove them on Saturday morning. One load is stacked in front of the garage, another load is at my Auckland home awaiting transport to Morrinsville. They will come in handy for the landscaping.
This weekend I hope to start on the roof, if the weather plays ball & I can get the inspector on site on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02413-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02414-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02415-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02417-resized.jpg  
Old 09-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #5

I passed inspection today, so tomorrow its all go on the roof.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #6

Grats.
Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 AM   #7

Today, I shingled one side of the roof, and completed the framing for the skylight. I have a part roll of safety mesh left over from a commercial job, so I decided to play it safe especially since my uncle fell through a similar skylight while painting his shop roof some years ago. Broke his back, but thankfully he was ok after having surgery.
I have some fibreglass sheeting from a factory reroof which I will use for the skylight.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02524-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02525-resized.jpg  
Old 09-18-2011, 05:02 AM   #8

Most of the second side of the roof is done. I would have got it all done but for that annoying "liquid sunshine". Forecast is for more of the same tomorrow so I will finish the roof then; this crap spring weather is no good for doing the many reroofs that I have on the books. The rest of the week is looking better weather wise.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02527-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02528-resized.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 04:11 AM   #9

Well, the weather gods wanted me to finish that roof! The forecast was crap, had torrential rain all day at the site of a reroof I had planned to do; not a drop at my place!
So the roof is complete except for the over flashings around the skylight. One of the Top-glass sheets has a 30mm long crack in it that I hadn't noticed until I was fitting them . I will have to repair it, somewhere I have some fibreglass mat and resin.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02533-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02535-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02537-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02539-resized.jpg  
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
Busy DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgp roofing
Well, the weather gods wanted me to finish that roof! The forecast was crap, had torrential rain all day at the site of a reroof I had planned to do; not a drop at my place!
So the roof is complete except for the over flashings around the skylight. One of the Top-glass sheets has a 30mm long crack in it that I hadn't noticed until I was fitting them . I will have to repair it, somewhere I have some fibreglass mat and resin.
Why not get the skylight replaced, will fixing the crack work in the long run?
picflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #11

I will see how long it works. I'd say it will last a few years if I do it from the underside so the uv protective layer on the sheet is not affected. I have another big (and expensive) project I plan to start soon so trying not to spend on things that can wait a couple of years at least! The sheets are fibreglass so compatibility should not be an issue.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 PM   #12

Another wet weekend. I did, however, get the wall wrap on & the 3 smaller windows in place. They need final fitting but at least most of the weather is kept out now. Sorry no pics, forgot my camera !
Old 10-03-2011, 01:40 AM   #13

I now have the spouting completed, and the windows & door are fitted but will need final adjustments once the wall cladding is installed.
I started to install the wall cladding sheets, what a pain! This is the first and last time I do it this way! I like the look, after it has been painted - I am doing it on the cheap with used sheets.
Attached Thumbnails
My new carport & workshop project-dsc02547-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02548-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02549-resized.jpg   My new carport & workshop project-dsc02550-resized.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 AM   #14

This wall cladding you are using...is that the same stuff that was used at one time for roofing?

I know the Aussie's are big on metal roofing, is it the same in Nazillun?

Now, the roofing shingles look exactly like the type we have here called "Harmony" and made by BP. Yes..no?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Military Mom of 4

I'm impressed - that looks great!
scotzilla (03-10-2012)