Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

My little unexpected weekend project

So Saturday morning I came home from a morning event to find my garage door would not open with the remote in my car. At first I thought maybe the power had gone out. Not the case. I went in the front door of the house and out to the garage to find the chain all hanging down over the trolley rail. Just great. I got up on a ladder to find the chain sprocket on the motor housing had completely sheared off its axle.

Oh well, it was a piece o' junk 1/3 HP Chamberlain Liftmate driving a 16' wide door, and has been up there nearly 10 years now. I've been wanting to replace the opener for awhile but never really had a reason to do so until now.

I decided to go with a Genie 1/2 HP screw-drive opener from Lowe's. I got the DirectLift Plus which was on sale for $178 on Saturday. I assembled the opener and rail, took down the old opener, and mounted the new rail bracket on the wall above the door on Saturday night. Then Sunday afternoon and evening I got it all mounted and wired up, and it's now running perfectly.

Old and Busted:

New Hotness:

Now this is what I call professional-quality wiring. The instructions said to just wrap the stripped wire ends around the screws. I preferred to use wire terminals with all soldered connections.
I also like the way the wiring for the limit switches and sensors all fits into a channel on top of the extruded aluminum beam.

New sensors. They were already aligned the first time I plugged in the opener, didn't even have to adjust them.

You can see here on the ceiling where the angle iron used to be for the old opener. There was no truss in the location of the old opener, so the idiot installers just anchored the angle iron to the next truss back, added verticals, and BENT the verticals forward to attach to the opener. I went up there and added 2 pieces of 2x4 blocking, attached on each end with 3 3-inch screws (12 screws in all) and then lag bolts through the angle iron into the blocking. It could probably support my car.

But yeah I have holes all in the ceiling from where they were trying to find framing, instead of just locating it from above (attic access is about 8 feet from this location) and putting in blocking.

So that's it. Wasn't happy to have the unexpected expense and project, but happy that it's done and that I have a nice new, hopefully reliable, opener. It got pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 04-18-2011 at 09:15 AM.
PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #2

Good job with the installation. Nice and clean!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

I'm very articulate with my wiring as well. You spent alot of time cleaning it up, make sure they don't vibrate against any of the metal or holes you ran them through or you'll have created a bigger problem. Opener looks great.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Now all you have to do is find who stole the front wheel from your bicycle so you can go riding.

Oh, I did see another problem with your garage in general:

It's too dang clean. Who has a garage that clean?

Nice looking install though.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

You might have a code violation with the bike hanging in front of the electrical panel!

Nice job.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Now all you have to do is find who stole the front wheel from your bicycle so you can go riding.

Oh, I did see another problem with your garage in general:

It's too dang clean. Who has a garage that clean?

Nice looking install though.
Yeah right, I just didn't show the rest of it. I wish it were clean. Both of our cars fit in there, but other than that it's difficult to get around in there. One of these days I'll have the money to build some shelves, peg boards, etc.

Right now all my floor tiling junk is in the middle right in front of the gray metal shelves (pic taken before that stuff got piled up), which makes it even more difficult to navigate.

PatrickGSR94 is offline   Reply With Quote