Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

My kitchen update project, wood floors to start!

Alright guys. I have started my kitchen remodel. This is pretty overwhelming at this point. My house is officially in shambles and I am busting my hump trying to get my kitchen back functional again. I will start with a quick rundown of the "master plan."

Install new wood floor that runs into the dining room at an angle. Paint kitchen cabinets and walls, remove soffits and install recessed lighting. Build custom island to house cooktop and custom cabinet for the corner to house the wall oven that I already have.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but this is a lot of work for one dude who works slow. We are expecting a baby in mid march so I gotta get this project hustlin'. Started out by removing the carpet from dining room and the first layer of subfloor from the kitchen. The old linoleum was so well glued I couldn't remove it.

I cut and removed the old linoleum, subfloor/luan combo which was a real treat. My back still hurts (literally) a week later. I have new CDX ply put down now. The subfloor didn't turn out perfectly flat which I am worried about. I feathered out about 1/8" at the transition from kitchen to dining room (not in these pictures) back about 24" so I am hoping it lays out okay.

I am using brazillian cherry shorts that I bought dirt cheap at lumber liquidators. I think I paid .50 sq/ft? Well there is a reason for that.. they aren't all perfectly the same width apparently. My table saw will make short work of that though. Figure it either costs ya time or money. This is unfinished 3/4" planks that are about a foot long. I am going to have a pro come in and do the sanding and possibly the finishing depending on time frame and available funds.

I did my foyer in the same wood and there was some gapping that I can't live with in my kitchen.. hence the tablesaw idea. I have not ripped down the flooring yet so there is none nailed down. I am REALLY hoping to be done nailing down floor by the end of this weekend.

Here is where we are at!

On to the pictures;

240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4

That's quite an ambitious project. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the progress and the 'after' pictures.

And CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby!

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #3

My bathroom project took around 8 months. But we had another bathroom to use. There is no way my wife will put up with that in the kitchen. We are renovating the kitchen but the big stuff is going to be contracted out. I'm limiting myself to some of the tear out and the paint and tiling afterward. I have an exterior door that is being moved and a wall and closet that are being removed. I hope to get some before and after pics posted but probably not much in between.

Good luck with the kitchen and post some pics when you can.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the Congratulations, I really appreciate it.

Jim.. since I am putting the cabinets back in that were originally in the kitchen this should be the worst the kitchen looks! I told my wife I didn't want her rushing me and I wanted this floor to be as perfect as I possibly can. She agrees thankfully. I have a week into this project including one weekend so I am moving along real well IMO. Building the two cabinets won't upset the "flow" of the kitchen so that's good.

Ill keep this thread updated. I won't be back at it until friday afternoon. Wish me luck!

Evan
Old 01-26-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Coconut Pete's paella!

Nice!

Are you planning on covering the whole floor w/ the cherry and putting the cabinets over it?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Yeah, that's the plan.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #7

Quick update; I spent a ton of time leveling the subfloor. It was pretty terrible in the kitchen. The floor sloped 1/2" in 4' where my refrigerator was sitting. I have a couple days of hard work ahead of me left I suspect. The sanding and finishing is being done by a pro next week. My back is sore and I have gone through about 1,600 staples so far. This photo doesn't depict it but the rows run into the kitchen as well. About 9 s/f left in the dining room and the kitchen is about 3/4 done. Home stretch!

I am pretty happy with how everything is coming out though.

Evan
Attached Thumbnails
My kitchen update project, wood floors to start!-floor.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
old guy contractor

Looks great...you're doing a nice job there.....
I see the vise grips
Pulling bent staples?

That's a lot of nailing with the shorts
Lots of waste with the angles?

Glad you're getting a pro for the sanding & finish
Have him do a test sample before he finishes.
The color of some of the waterborne stuff sucks
Find out what the finish looks like BEFORE he does the whole thing

Dust protect your other rooms of the house 'cus that will be dust city........no matter what he tells ya.

Stretch your back ...a lot......

Last edited by tcleve4911; 02-07-2011 at 08:17 AM.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM   #9

Actually because the boards are so short, there is very little waste! I just save the ones I have to cut the angle off of in a pile, and go digging through when I get to a part of the kitchen that needs that type of "scrap". I have thrown away more twisted/warped boards than I have wasted in cuts by far.

Good call on the color situation. I want a natural stain just to bring the grain out. He wants to use some Hallman Lindsay fast drying polyurathane for the finish. I have this floor in my foyer too (small area) that is darkening rapidly, so lighter is better. I will definitely block off the kitchen when he sands. Even if he is 90% dust free, that means I will still have 10% of it all over everything in my house! lol

Dead on with the vice grips. I have bent more than one finish nail doing the ends. The worst part of this job is the end pieces by far. Really time consuming. I think it will be worth it in the end. The price was way right though, and the shorts really look neat.

Thanks for the compliments!

Evan
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

That wood looks beautiful! this project will definitely increase the value of your home, if not just make you so happy! My parents really want me to help them refinish their kitchen floor, I just need to find the time...
hunh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #11

Floor is totally done. Kitchen is about reassembled. Hope to have the pictures of everything in a day or so!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #12
Custom User Title

Looking forward to the pictures. Do you mind telling us what it cost to have the floors sanded and stained?
no1hustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM   #13

The going rate around here was anywhere from 1.50 sq/ft to 2.25 sq/ft.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Custom User Title

That isn't too bad at all. I have about 750sq/ft to do and I'll most likely hire someone. Right now its under carpet and I'm scared to rip it out to find its worse than what the PO told us.
no1hustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #15

Trust me, it will be money well spent. I refinished floors in my old house years ago (built in the 20s) and I spent what seemed like forever sanding. These guys did what I had done faster, better and cheaper in the long run. You may find they cut you a small break on such a large area too.

I took low bid, which was a mistake frankly. I am not crazy about the finish work they did but I can correct it with minimum effort. They did do a pretty good job sanding and all in all I do feel I got my money's worth. He told me he would come back and correct it if the finish wasn't totally even though. There are some areas where the poly is a tad thicker and you can tell by the sheen when the sun is coming in and glaring off the floor.

EDIT; If someone offers to give you a great deal you should ask to see the actual floors they did. Photos will not show the type of imperfections I am talking about.