Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

My first siding job

Hey guys, pretty new hear. I am in the process of residing my brothers house which had rotted t111 and sill plates. So I lifted walls replacing sill plates, putting in new windows and installing 3/4 plywood for exterior sheathing. I installed hardie plank siding and azek trim. I am almost done, did not paint trim yet. I did alot of research on this site before doing the siding since it was a first for me and would like to thank you guys. BTW. I hand nailed all the siding, no waves at all

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
My first siding job-new-ext.jpg   My first siding job-new-ext-1.jpg   My first siding job-old-ext.jpg   My first siding job-old-ext-1.jpg  

Gnfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

My first siding job

Looks good....whats the deck?

Nevermind....missed a pic - nice patio
Is that a sunroom off one side in the back?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

My first siding job

thanks man, the old wood deck was shot to hell. took me 2 30 yard dumpsters to get rid of it. The old pic with the 3 windows, 1 was closed off (becuase it was in a closet!) and the other 2 single panes were placed with smaller ones. I am working on the gable now, doing a nice design on the top of it.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #4

My first siding job

we dont know what it is, all i know is that the soffit is rotted and everything was built ghetto. That room is the next project. Question is what do we do with it
Old 11-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #5

My first siding job

It would make a nice sunroom or screenroom
--depending upon where you are located
We opted for a sunroom as the warmer weather up here is not long enough to enjoy a big screenroom
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #6

My first siding job

Looks good! No soffit vents?
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7

My first siding job

good catch gary, I am stuck on what I should install. I was looking at the 3 inch screened ones and was thinking of installing them between each beam but I am afraid that it will look to busy. any ideas?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:02 AM   #8

My first siding job

I'd go with the -2" continuous, right next to the fascia board, as the wind, rain, snow blows across the ground and hits the house, it rises up the wall and comes back out across the soffit. Install with louvers facing the fascia, not house. Continuous because every bay needs venting especially with a big soffit. With baffled continuous ridge vent for exhaust, your numbers should be close to recommended 1/100----one square foot net free venting area (NFVA) per 100 square feet of attic space, not cubic. http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml http://www.oikos.com/esb/30/atticvent.html
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #9

My first siding job

Thanks Gary, I was actually thinking of using that particular one in the past BUT think I am to late. The soffit is already done, can I still install the continuous piece???
Old 11-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #10

My first siding job

Yes, just cut right next to the fascia board, or if a sub-fascia present- next to that. Add trim, !x2 ripped in half for a piece, 3/4"x 3/4" each side after installing vent.
Be safe, Gary
Old 11-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #11

My first siding job

Gary, I am going to Lowes tomorrow and pick up the airvent continuous vent. Question for you though. it makes sense what you say about the wind hitting the house, going up the soffit area. BUT why do you say make sure the louvers are TOWARDS the facia????? shoouldnt the louvers be towards the house so the wind goes right in them????

thanks man!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #12

My first siding job

or should I get the one with all holes? no louvers?
Old 11-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #13

My first siding job

The holes greatly restrict the NFVA. As long as you get 9 square inches per foot. The wet wind follows the house up--- and away from the house at the soffits, into the vent. Continuous are fine but install them as close as possible the fascia board. This 9sq.in. on opposite sides of a house balance with the 18 sq. in. of ridge vent with baffles. Figure 1/100 unless you have a` v.b.: http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/pro...it-specs.shtml

Be safe, Gary
Old 11-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #14

My first siding job

ok, so install the louvers towards the soffit and close to the soffit as possible.

correct?