Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Motion Activated Light for Attached Garage

Hello;
I know this isn't a very impressive or expensive project, it only took about 2 hours. However, we are finding it so useful, (and saves energy) that I thought I would post it.

As you can see in the photo, I installed a motion switch on the wall in my attached garage, (we go out there frequently to bring trash out, gets tools, etc.) The lights were always being left on, but I didn't really want to put the regular lights on a motion sensor since they are on a 3-way switch setup.

I added the additional keyless fixture you see in the photo. It works very well with the motion sensor. The first step through the door from the house and the light is on. I wish I had done it a long time ago. Cost: $15 for motion sensor, 30 feet 14-2 ($5), $5 for boxes, wire nuts, and keyless fixture. Total: $25.

Motion Activated Light for Attached Garage-motion-sensor.jpg

Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
Dorf dude...

It's the little things that make life a bit easier. I see that you used an incadesent on motion sensor light and energy saver on the normal. Good choice. Energy savers don't like on-off all the time. Good job. Dorf Dude

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
It's the little things that make life a bit easier. I see that you used an incadesent on motion sensor light and energy saver on the normal. Good choice. Energy savers don't like on-off all the time. Good job. Dorf Dude
I wired my whole garage on a motion sensor light. I used the http://www.leviton.com ones. They have much better motion sensors that don't trip accidental, and cool walk in features, and they also have a relay that crosses the zero point of the AC power so that there isn't a spark on the relay and an inrush of current. This makes them great to use for fluorescent lighting. The 15-20 dollar home depot ones use a triac and don't work very well compared to the 50 dollar Leviton ones. I know, I tried them all..
zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

I think it's a great idea.

Just about all of the lights in my garage are on motion switches. It's one of the decisions I appreciate the most. There are four different zones where sensors turn the light on where I am working. I believe I'm saving electricity even though they go on for a full 30 minutes when they're triggered -- I never accidentally leave lights on. Also, the whole garage is lit with CFL bulbs.

You go in to get something, and you can see the whole room. You can leave with your hands full and not have to remind yourself to get the switch(es).

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 06-30-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
Jack of all - master none

FYI: anyone with craftsman garage door openers can get the opener button with the built-in motion swtich (may be compatible with other brands). IT would be a simple and easy retrofit for anyone that wanted to do this. $25 at sears.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00953688000P
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post

off topic - but that is a pretty sweet garage!
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

Wow, I really like this idea! Such a great idea for saving energy ^o^

MagicalHome is offline   Reply With Quote