Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

mortar poured landscape edgers

Well, my stucco project ended up leaving an insane amount of extra bags, so I had to find some way to use them, so decided to build some custom landscape edgers.

These are semi-finished: they've been poured, forms have been removed, and they've been sanded. Still need to chisel the bottoms where they squished out from under the forms, maybe sand a lil more, and then paint (either tan or red..).

You can see the boards I used the first pic (inside the landscape bed), basically I had all these 4" X 3/4" X 10' boards around, so I got a sheet of aluminum (pretty thin), cut spikes, and nailed the spikes into the boards. The spikes kept them in place kinda firmly, and i used random heavy stuff to further support them during the pour. Oh and I made my own trowel for these, I found a longer (6" maybe?) edge trowel, flattened the edge, then bent it to make the shape I wanted, which worked well.

The day after pouring, the wood forms came away from the stucco/mortar without any problems (and I didn't put any oil on them or anything), and I used a 20 grit brick rub to smooth the edges (which were horrendous - luckily on day 1 after pour they were firm enough to sand, but soft enough that sanding was relatively easy). The edges in the pics still need to have some control joints sawed into them as well (the ones out back have them roughly every 3 feet).

Oh i should note in the pics they may not look the right height, or that they're higher/lower in some spots. They're actually as intended - the landscape beds will be raised several inches with red mulch, and the ground on the grass' side is all over the place from building these and the column that you can kinda see in the last pic (you can see the ground getting lower as it gets closer to where I was standing, we had moved a lot of dirt out to work with the column's base. I should note that there was a divider in place between the column and the edger while it dried, so although they're close they're not actually touching, yet anyways lol). Once the dirt's back and leveled these will be level with the lawn (well, their front ends, the back ends are higher and will be level with the red mulch).
Attached Thumbnails
mortar poured landscape edgers-edger-corner-detail.jpg   mortar poured landscape edgers-edger-meets-column.jpg   mortar poured landscape edgers-edgers-front-bush.jpg  

Last edited by joeyboy; 07-18-2007 at 12:30 PM.
joeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #2

(here's the one from out back that has control joints cut already - I think my corner technique improved on the ones out front lol)

I'll post more up when these are really done (painted, grass in place/mulch in beds so they don't look like they're just hovering lol)
Attached Thumbnails
mortar poured landscape edgers-edgers-behind-office.jpg  

Last edited by joeyboy; 07-18-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #3

Looks pretty good to me...

So how did you get the "curb" like shape (Seems low in front with a peak just before a slight drop at the back)?

That just due to the mortar being firm enough to hold that shape?
ktkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #4

Looks great! I would only suggest a #3 rebar running through the middle to hold it all together.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktkelly View Post
Looks pretty good to me...

So how did you get the "curb" like shape (Seems low in front with a peak just before a slight drop at the back)?

That just due to the mortar being firm enough to hold that shape?
I made an edging trowel into that shape, long slope in front / short slope in back. I just bought an edging trowel (it was a longer one, maybe 6" or 8"), bent it flat, and then curved it around something to give me that shape.

And yes, the mortar was made very dry, so it wouldn't just slump out of that shape (and for other reasons, primarily increased strength/reduced cracking). It was about as dry as was possible to work with. It was slumping out of its shape when it was at wettest, but I'd basically pour it, shape it, then shape it again 10 minutes later, then maybe 20-30 minutes after that. After that point it was stiff enough that it kept its shape for the most part. The next day I just pulled the wooden forms away, then used a 20grit sanding block to smooth the edges (which were very rough), actually more than the edges I sanded almost the entire thing (for uniformity of shape, and uniformity of texture - the spots that are sanded stood out like crazy since the surface was otherwise smooth in spots I didn't sand)
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #6

This is an old thread, but that's alright.

How many bags of cement did you use?

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote