Living Room Makeover - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Living Room Makeover

We own a house that was built in the 1960s. My parents bought it in 1986 and my husband and I bought it from them in 2006. My parents did quite a bit when they owned it but it was to their own 1990s style and it had to go. The living room is the first room we walk into when we enter the house, and numerous paint jobs still didn't get it to where I wanted it. The last "redo" was about 6 years ago and I've hated the color and decor ever since. I decided on a beach cottage theme since our street is named after a popular beach, my husband and I both love the ocean, and the color palette is soothing.

Here are some before pictures from my pervious attempt at updating the room when I painted it an unfortunate shade of yellow (what was I thinking?!?!). You'll also see the sad shape of the furniture and trim thanks to the adoption of our two puppies that love to chew all.things.wood.

Advertisement

kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Living Room Makeover

My brother is making custom built-in's to go along the back wall - similar to these...

The center shelves will be 6' across and 18" deep. The two sides will each be 3' across by 12" deep. There will be lighting on a remote and cabinets below just like the picture. They will also be white with white beadboard as the backing. It will take up the entire length of the wall but I chose not to go all the way to the ceiling. The center will be approx. 7' tall and the sides will be approx. 6' tall.

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #3

Living Room Makeover

For the walls, I kept the tan color that was in the entryway and hall. It's Taupe 3 (Signature by Valspar) and goes with just about everything (except yellow hahaha). I did two accent walls in Gentle Wave (also by Valspar) - the wall where the shelves are going and the wall with the windows. We took down the existing crown - which was actually door casing - and put in 5.25" colonial crown. Finally, I painted all the trim and doors Ultra White (they were originally beige).

Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Living Room Makeover

When painting I didn't worry about painting the baseboards since we planned on replacing the floors next year. Then things changed and I decided we should go ahead and get it over and done with. So, all the parquet had to be ripped out. I saved some of the wood for a craft project (perhaps a family photo frame).

Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #5

Living Room Makeover

To replace the stained area rug we had, I made this one using a drop cloth and paint samples. It was a lot more work than I had expected but I think it came out great.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #6

Living Room Makeover

I also made these using 1x2s, plywood, and plexiglass. My daughter took the center picture and I found the other two on the interwebs. Had them enlarged to 12"x12" at Costco, and voila, new art. I was inspired by some I found on the net but they wanted $200 for a set of 3. I did mine for under $50. This photo doesn't do them justice at all.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #7

Living Room Makeover

We ordered tile for the entryway and wood flooring for the living room/hallway. We are just waiting on the tile since it has to be installed first but it should be here in a couple of days. Then we'll install the flooring and new baseboards, and the shelving units will be installed early next week.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 532

Living Room Makeover

Looking good so far. Im personally so glad you ripped out the parquet, i hate parquet floors. They look nice but theyre a pain, especially if water hits them
The Following User Says Thank You to TrailerParadise For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #9

Living Room Makeover

My parents had it refinished back in the early 90's but it was definitely worn out. And nothing dated the house like the floors. We are also on a slab and in the Virginia humidity, every summer another section would pop out and swell...which made it extra fun because the pieces had to be sanded down to fit back in the space. We hired a company to take it all up and with their machine it look less than an hour. We have parquet under the carpets in the bedrooms and that will be the next major flooring job. In our bedroom it has popped up under the carpet because of a leak we had in the hall bath.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #10

Living Room Makeover

Tile we are going with for the entryway (approx. 5'x7' area). Valtellina Glazed Porcelain in Alpine Pass.

Engineered Wood Floors: Armstrong Hickory in Eagle's Nest (5" hand-scraped planks)
Old 09-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 532

Living Room Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
it has popped up under the carpet because of a leak we had in the hall bath.
This is precisely why i hate parquet. We had it in the kitchen of my current house and our fridge had a ice maker in the door, and one night the tube that carries water up to the ice maker popped off and water went EVERYWHERE. We got up the next morning to a flooded kitchen and living room, and even though we got the water out, it still soaked into the parquet and it bubbled up in entire rows. It seriously felt like walking across the dang rapids just to cross the kitchen. About four years ago we finally ripped it out and put down sticky tiles. No problems since.
Love your tile choices!
Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,362

Living Room Makeover

It's looking nice kimberland. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when you're finished.

Hey, you know what's worse than wood parquet flooring?

Peel & stick tile parquet flooring, like the stuff I put in my entryway 10 or so years ago. It's going bye bye pretty soon though.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #13

Living Room Makeover

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParadise View Post
This is precisely why i hate parquet. We had it in the kitchen of my current house and our fridge had a ice maker in the door, and one night the tube that carries water up to the ice maker popped off and water went EVERYWHERE. We got up the next morning to a flooded kitchen and living room, and even though we got the water out, it still soaked into the parquet and it bubbled up in entire rows. It seriously felt like walking across the dang rapids just to cross the kitchen. About four years ago we finally ripped it out and put down sticky tiles. No problems since.
Love your tile choices!
This is precisely why I do not want to put any type of wood flooring in our kitchen (DH wants to). Our dishwasher had a leak a couple years ago and we had to replace baseboards on our cabinets - thank goodness we have vinyl in the kitchen so nothing else was ruined. And he wants to put in wood? He will settle for tile but it's so harsh. Needless to say, our kitchen floor is still the old vinyl with Williamsburg Blue and mauve (the style in the early 90s) and it's not going anywhere until we can come to a compromise on what to put in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
It's looking nice kimberland. Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when you're finished.

Hey, you know what's worse than wood parquet flooring?

Peel & stick tile parquet flooring, like the stuff I put in my entryway 10 or so years ago. It's going bye bye pretty soon though.
That sounds....awful. But at least it stays in place and you don't have little pieces of wood popping up all over the place.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:19 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 592

Living Room Makeover

I like your flooring choices. Would you consider taking the tile all the back instead of just the square?
It would create an actual foyer, instead
of a landing square for muddy shoes.

Your tile choice is gorgeous...would you consider continuing that
same tile all the way into the kitchen? That would be an awesome look.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Two Knots For This Useful Post:
kimberland30 (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #15

Living Room Makeover

We thought about doing the entire length of the entryway (to the hallway), then also doing the hallway in tile...but we really didn't like the look of it (our neighbor did theirs that way). We also considered building half walls on each side of the entry to create a foyer, but I thought it would close off the space too much - and it wouldn't leave a lot of room with the bench there - and we use that bench/storage bins daily.

I also don't want to put tile in the kitchen. Tile always wins and I'm too clumsy with dishes We put DuraCeramic (composite tile) in the bathroom and I love it - it's not cold or as hard as ceramic tile. DH doesn't want to put that in the kitchen either. He's all for either wood or ceramic. I'm up for anything but those. Which is why we haven't changed it yet.

Advertisement