Living Room Gut Rehab - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Living Room Gut Rehab

I didn't really take any before pics, but here's the finished. I did the framing, flooring, and finish carpentry. I also framed the hearth. Hired out drywall, mansonry, and the massive cabinet.

This picture shows one of the most detailed bits:

I raised the top of the opening in the next pic so I could walk under it while piping. It's also load bearing, and I didn't like the way the prior work had been done. It took three guys a half a day to put the cabinets in. The opening next to the cabinet is plumb in all directions. It wasn't easy to get it that way either. It's thicker at the top than the bottom. The wall the cabinets are on leans back 3/4"

The ceiling was drooping significantly, so we put a 3.5" x 14" MLVL (22 foot long) and pulled all the joists up to it. Nothing is really curved in any of these pictures -- it's lens distortion. If you're trying to match up the pictures, the one above and below are opposite. There are two ceiling fans in the room, about 10 feet apart. The partially show cabinet (left in the photo above) is the same partially shown cabinet in the other picture. It's about 6' wide and holds the TV, etc.

Advertisement

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote