Kitchen Renovations - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen Renovations

So after buying my 2 family house, I spent 9 months of weekends renovating the rental unit on the 2nd floor. That work is complete THANKFULLY and before and after photos can be seen here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/darenrog...eat=directlink

With that out of the way, I've now set my sights on renovating my own kitchen. The demo is done, as is the rough plumbing and electric. Cabinets are somewhat constructed/installed as are the appliances. Below are photos of the kitchen as it stood when I bought the house and the mess that it's become. I still have plenty of work left to do so I'll continue to post photos and I welcome any comments, questions or suggestions anyone might have.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Renovations-01.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-02.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-03.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-04.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-05.jpg  

Kitchen Renovations-06.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by darenrogers; 01-20-2010 at 12:00 AM.
darenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Kitchen Renovations

After removing the cheap Ikea floating floor, the 1/4" luan and the old vinyl tile, I finally got down to the original floors. Phew.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Renovations-07.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-08.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-09.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-10.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-11.jpg  

Kitchen Renovations-12.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Kitchen Renovations

The brick corner was an old chimney no longer in use. It was taking up valuable kitchen space...so out it went.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Renovations-13.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-14.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-15.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-16.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-17.jpg  

Kitchen Renovations-18.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 PM   #4

Kitchen Renovations

Bought pretty much all of the applianced used from a variety of sources. Decided to build the cabinets from scratch to make sure they fit exactly as I need them to.

I'm currently ordering up drawer slides, door hinges and beginning to build the drawers and doors themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Renovations-19.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-20.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-21.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-22.jpg   Kitchen Renovations-23.jpg  

Old 01-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Kitchen Renovations

That's an amazing job you did with the rental unit! Love the floors, kitchen wall removal and vaulted ceiling. Did you do most of the work yourself? Very impressive.

Of course, you've set the bar high for your own remodeling. Looking forward to seeing the results. Looks like you've got a great start.
Itsdanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #6

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsdanf View Post
That's an amazing job you did with the rental unit! Love the floors, kitchen wall removal and vaulted ceiling. Did you do most of the work yourself? Very impressive.
I had contractor friends do the majority of the drywall/taping and pull the new circuits from the electric panel in the basement up to the 2nd floor. Otherwise, my dad and I did the rest of the work along with help from the rest of my family...demo, plumbing, flooring, tile work, cabinet install, painting, etc. It was such a great time it got me hooked on this DIY stuff!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen Renovations

It'll look great. Have fun.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Renovations

Looking good. Looking forward to seeing the final results.
starr5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #9

Kitchen Renovations

Looks good. What kind of power tool are you using in that pic for tearing up the old chimney?
campos202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #10

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by campos202 View Post
Looks good. What kind of power tool are you using in that pic for tearing up the old chimney?
I'm using a Bosch demo hammer. Basically a smaller, hand-held jack hammer which I rented from a local tool depot. It worked wonders!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #11

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenrogers View Post
I'm using a Bosch demo hammer. Basically a smaller, hand-held jack hammer which I rented from a local tool depot. It worked wonders!
Thanks! I may need to rent on of those for one of my future projects of demoing a brick landing.
campos202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Renovations

Very nice job so far! I love the appliances and farm-style stainless sink. What are you thinking for countertops - Granite? Concrete?

Now that my bathroom project is nearly complete (and I told my wife we're getting back a good chunk of change for taxes), she's bugging me to redo the kitchen. So I'm going to be following your project closely for some inspiration.
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #13

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit View Post
Very nice job so far! I love the appliances and farm-style stainless sink. What are you thinking for countertops - Granite? Concrete?
The countertops will be quartz...haven't selected a specific manufacturer as of yet. Will be also building a movable island, which I'm thinking will get a butcher block top.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #14
Insert catchy title here

Rewards Points: 75

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenrogers View Post
The countertops will be quartz...haven't selected a specific manufacturer as of yet. Will be also building a movable island, which I'm thinking will get a butcher block top.
Very nice!

We recently did a peninsula in our kitchen and used a stainless steel top. It is 3'x6'. We special ordered it from a commercial restaurant supply store. It was only $400 with delivery... $22 per square foot. Custom fabricated it normally runs about $150 per square foot I think. Could be a good idea for your moveable island... Here are 2 pics…

With protective sticker still on it…

After - sorry no good pics, just one from Thanksgiving.
AppleMac*Fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #15

Kitchen Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMac*Fit View Post
Very nice!

We recently did a peninsula in our kitchen and used a stainless steel top.
Do you find the stainless steel holds up well to scratches and nicks? Just curious.

Advertisement