Kitchen Remodel In SoCal - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 43

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Well here we go! Going to start finalizing some details for this kitchen demo and remodel. Original cabinets and tile. Very 1955! An original Atomic Ranch home in the valley.

Kitchen details. 9'9" x 18'.

Planning on moving sink along with dishwasher on east wall (where the three high windows are), but of course removing those and installing a slider so we can see the front yard. Will also be framing in a ceiling at 96".

Going to be a U shape kitchen. I'm really hoping the plans can fit the sink and dishwasher along that 9'9" wall. Might have to plan for an 18" dishwasher.

Let me know what you all think. And wish me luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel In SoCal-image.jpg  

Advertisement

altc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,614

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Wow.....mmmm....yea...that kitchen is ready to 'changes'.

How about a sketch of the existing layout and what you 'think' you want to do?

You will need permits.

As part of the process, you're going to need a lot more electrical outlets in the kitchen to meet code....but, that is a good thing.

On the ceiling....I personally would not drop it. Insulate between the rafters and cover with 5/8" drywall. And that ceiling is begging for a skylight. Do a Velux one that can be opened...great way to get even more light in...and you can open it to let all the hot air out when you are cooking.

The big 'thing' now is to take out a wall or part of a wall and open things up. Do you have a good place you could put a breakfast bar? Besides eating at it, they make great staging areas for plates and food.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
altc81 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #3

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Wow.....mmmm....yea...that kitchen is ready to 'changes'.

How about a sketch of the existing layout and what you 'think' you want to do?

You will need permits.

As part of the process, you're going to need a lot more electrical outlets in the kitchen to meet code....but, that is a good thing.

On the ceiling....I personally would not drop it. Insulate between the rafters and cover with 5/8" drywall. And that ceiling is begging for a skylight. Do a Velux one that can be opened...great way to get even more light in...and you can open it to let all the hot air out when you are cooking.

The big 'thing' now is to take out a wall or part of a wall and open things up. Do you have a good place you could put a breakfast bar? Besides eating at it, they make great staging areas for plates and food.
Thanks for the motivation! I'm not big on skylights at all really. And we had the roof done two years ago, I really wouldn't want to compromise any adjustments on that area. Plus I don't want to increase any cooling costs with more space to cool.

Yeah I totally can't wait for more electrical in there! Woohoo!!

Here is an attached prelim layout I'd like to finalize with a few people too.
Sorry it's a photo of the last print out. I didn't have a copy on the iPad here and didn't want to turn the PC on
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Remodel In SoCal-image.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

That looks like a good layout.....

Our kitchen is not much different in size. First thing we did 14 years ago when we moved in was gut it...vaulted the ceiling...I made all my own cabinets. Next spring we are going to make some more mods...like taking out part of a wall and adding a breakfast bar.

Old kitchen

You can't see it in this photo....but there is actually a window on that wall next to the door.

We really gutted it....insulated it...(made a huge difference)

And now this....(really old pics before we finished it all)

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 10-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Altc....can you remove that wall across from the new pos for the fridge?

What is on the other side?

Old 10-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #6

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Quote:
Altc....can you remove that wall across from the new pos for the fridge?

What is on the other side?
Wow totally transformed your old kitchen too.

If you mean where I think you mean... The lower right wall on the picture... The washer and dryer are there unfortunately. I'd be too much hassle to relocate them to garage. And as much as it'd be nice, there's be no covered access to the garage (raining, weather, etc)

I am however moving the kitchen door from one corner to the other. That alone is going to be an expensive project. The gas meter is right there and so is the electric meter. But the layout is going to require I move the door. Practical move? Oh well.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Do you have a crawl space?

As for the meter....what is your current meter size? 60? 100A?

The new meters are digital....hence, they don't have to be where the meter maid needs to read it. Maybe it's a good time to upgrade electrical?

If you have a crawl space, moving water pipes becomes a lot easier.

Old 10-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #8
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Can you give us more pics?

Sometimes you have to step back and climb out of the box. You might have more options than you think

altc81 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #9

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Quote:
Do you have a crawl space?

As for the meter....what is your current meter size? 60? 100A?

The new meters are digital....hence, they don't have to be where the meter maid needs to read it. Maybe it's a good time to upgrade electrical?

If you have a crawl space, moving water pipes becomes a lot easier.
Funny about the meter. It still has the original 60a box and basically used as a 'junction' to tie to a 100a upgrade years ago. I'm going to have an electriction buddy come out and look at it. I'm curious as if I can have the meter outside and run the main branch to a new load center inside right by the kitchen. The space is there.

I'm loving crawl spaces. And yea we do have one. It'll be a snap to rip out the 60 year old galvanized and run new copper in te new locations needed.

No more pics right now. On my phone at work :O
Old 10-08-2014, 05:56 PM   #10
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Might be a good time to upgrade the electrical. If you do some of the work, it's not that expensive. I think mine cost me around $600 total...I did all the work.

200A and 40 ckts....

altc81 (10-08-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #11

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Yah I can't imagine electrical parts can cost so much. I think I'll need the electrition to help terminate the circuits to the load center. I've never felt comfortable messing with that thing!
I'm really dying to know how much it's going to cost me to move the gas meter four feet in one direction though. I really want that kitchen door moved.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #12
JOATMON

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

As far as I know, you can do the piping yourself. It's not hard.

Put a call into SoCal Gas and ask them.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Love projects

Rewards Points: 94

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

beautiful job, Is this a manufactured home? thanks for sharing the photos, we are trying to decide what to do with our kitchen in a double wide mobile home. I am stuck on what to do first it is such a big task. We would need to replace everything from ceilings to walls to floor- squishy floor again.
Bigbluefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
Fixing a Fixer Upper!

Rewards Points: 26

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

We have a similar sized kitchen and when we did our remodel, we decided to opt for a smaller dishwasher like this (mod removed link)There are only 2 of us so the smaller model works well for us. It might be something to consider given the space constraints.

Last edited by BigJim; 10-18-2014 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Link removed
MaryAguila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 12

Kitchen Remodel In SoCal

Kitchen remod's are the ideal time to correct any issues of waiting for hot water. Having convenient hot water after completing a project is like iceing on the cake and really adds to one's feeling of accomplishment especially if you'd come accustom to waiting more than 30 seconds each time hot water was needed. Be aware that water smart dishwashers require "hot" water to be readily available during washer operations. Not having hot water at the ready can result in undissolved soap and less than clean dishes. This sight is loaded with information on hot water readiness solutions. I highly recommend searching "hot water siphoning+hot water circulator" before finalizing on a product.

Advertisement

DIY4WIFE is offline   Reply With Quote