On To The Kitchen - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

On to the kitchen

Finished my downstairs bathroom and while I do need to do the adjacent laundry room and hallway, that has been put on hold till the kitchen is done. This is not a total DIY. I am working with a contractor and doing some of the work myself. I have gotten most of the old self-stick tiles as well as the sheet vinyl that was on top of that. After that I will tear out the old cabinets.

Here are some before pics.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000108.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000109.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000110.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000112.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000113.jpg  

On to the kitchen-p1000114.jpg  

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #2

On to the kitchen

There are some unique challenges to our current kitchen. There are a couple of beams running through this space that are about 3 1/2 inces lower that our already low 7 ft high ceiling. There is a corner that cannot accommodate conventional cabinets because the main vent/soil stack runs down it. The contractor I am working with wanted to have a friend of his build custom cabinets. But his estimate was around 11,000 for the cabinets, a laminate countertop and some type of acryllic sink that we were not crazy about. That was way too much money.

We are getting in Shenandoah cabinets from Lowes that are all plywood construction. These will have a solid surface countertop and sink. This was much cheaper, around 5200. I've read about the problems people have had with these cabinets and Lowes in general. It is just the limit of what we are willing to spend. The good news is that Lowes will NOT be installing these. We will just have to cross our fingers and hope everything works out with these.

For the work we are having him do, the contractor's estimate comes in at around 5100. Not too shabby and some of his estimates are maximums so if it costs less, he will discount it off the final payment. Already I saved 180 of his new door estimate when I bought the Therma Tru Smooth star door and sidelight we are putting in. The new door and sidelight are going where the window above the sink currently is. Where the current door is there will be a series of cabinets all 12 inch deep so as not to interfere with the basement door.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000115.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000116.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000117.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000123.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000124.jpg  

On to the kitchen-p1000122.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #3

On to the kitchen

This shallow closet and little bit of wall has never been very practical and will go to provide space and inprove flow. Where the closet and wall form a corner is a structural beam that we will be wrapping somehow. Plus, we will have to figure out what to do with the light switch.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000125.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000126.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000127.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

On to the kitchen

Early progress on the floor. I have most of off now. Will post more as time and ambition allow.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000118.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000128.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000130.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

On to the kitchen

Some related threads:

Removing vinyl self-stick tiles.

And this one has my new floor plan design:

Looking for door suggestions- Kitchen Remodel
Old 02-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

On to the kitchen

I'm looking forward to this thread---The short ceilings add a challenge.--Mike--
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,342

On to the kitchen

I'm looking forward to this too. I enjoyed the thread about your bathroom, which turned out very nice.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

On to the kitchen

Jim:

I'm looking forward to this! My wife and I are going to be doing the same in a few months.

Your kitchen looks like ours right now - ANCIENT cabinets with all new appliances - LOL.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 31

On to the kitchen

I think we must have had the same contractor put our kitchens in! Low ceiling, beam across the middle, etc.

We're starting to do our own renovation, mostly with paint but I look forward to seeing your progress. I'll try and get some pictures with ours as well.

Good luck!
Plump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #10

On to the kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plump View Post
I think we must have had the same contractor put our kitchens in! Low ceiling, beam across the middle, etc.

We're starting to do our own renovation, mostly with paint but I look forward to seeing your progress. I'll try and get some pictures with ours as well.

Good luck!
The low ceiling and beams to present a challenge. the original structure is post and beam construction. It was moved a block over to it's current foundation in 1939. It was originally an ice house of unknown age.

Here are a couple of pictures of what is in the outer wall. I pried up the trim in the doorway that was cut for the addition in the early '90's. And fortunately managed to get the trim back in place good as new. There is a large beam 10"x7" that sits on top of the cinder block foundation. The cinder block is two courses high in the outer wall to bring the first floor up to the 7 ft height.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000139.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000147.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000152.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000154.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #11

On to the kitchen

Here are some pictures with the rest of the floor taken up. Well, almost. I still have some under the stove and under some cabinets that were moved after the floor was put down.

Now we are thinking about restoring this olf oak floor but not sure if it is going to be worth it. I posted a related question about that in the flooring section. Also wondering what kind of wood floor finish is best for a kitchen floor which has spills and is mopped frequently. I see where people do have wood floors in their kitchen though.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-p1000157.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000158.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000159.jpg   On to the kitchen-p1000155.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 10:15 PM   #12

On to the kitchen

Quick update, no new pics to post today although more have been taken. Have taken out the two base cabinets opposite the stove, the tall 24" wide pantry cabinet, and all the wall cabinets.

The base cabinets sat on on the curb all weekend, finally someone stopped by in a pickup this morning and hauled those away saving me a trip to the transfer station. They would have been in better shape before the snow but maybe he's just using them for landfill. I can almost always count on someone picking up stuff I leave at the curb.

The cabinets are coming between 10A-2P tomorrow. the door is in at the lumber yard and hope to pick that up tomorrow before 10.

Had 6 inches of new snow to clear today so did not get much done on the kitchen. I did manage to make room for the new cabinets in the garage. I can use most of my old wall cabinets either in the garage or laundry room.

Still have to take out that run of base cabinets around the sinks. I think the best approach is to cut the countertop in between the individual cabinets but open to suggestions.

Was mapping out the electrical in the basement in plans to 1. replace old 14 ga 15 amp circuit with new 12 ga 20 amp for wall outlets. Also 14 ga for under cabintes lights not to mention I have to move a couple of wall switches.

In doing so I found what I believe to be a malfunctioning 50 AMP double breaker that served a double wall oven that no longer exists. The electrician wired circuits in according to wire sizes. The problem with this one is that it serves nothing and does not turn off. I'm thinking the quickest solution is to just have the electricin replace the 50 amp breaker with a working one rather than having an open space in my panel. I may add a big appliance or a subpanel to replace the electric ovens some day.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #13
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,034

On to the kitchen

Keep the wood floor . I would sand it then just seal it up. I'm waiting to see how this turns out. dorf dude...
Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

On to the kitchen

That dead double breaker could be turned into two 20 Amp breakers for the kitchen circuits, if needed.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #15

On to the kitchen

Picked up the door at the lumber yard. Just as I was taking it off my truck the delivery truck arrived with the new cabinets. Got to work tearing out the rest of the old cabinets. Now all that's left is the sink cabinet and the dishwasher.

The contractor is stopping by tomorrow afternoon to have a look and work out some last minute plans. He has a crew of four lined up for Thursday and Friday and will resume on Monday and expects to be done Tuesday. He also hopes to have it servicable for the weekend befor they quit on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails
On to the kitchen-2011feb15.jpg   On to the kitchen-2011feb19_1.jpg   On to the kitchen-2011feb19_2.jpg   On to the kitchen-2011feb252_2.jpg   On to the kitchen-2011feb252_3.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Jim F; 02-26-2011 at 12:48 PM.