Iminaquagmire's Basement Bedroom Expansion - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 304

Iminaquagmire's Basement Bedroom Expansion

So I've been redoing my basement bedroom for family to stay in. This started small enough with the plan to take out the small closet that was inside the room and expand a new walk-in closet into an adjacent storage room. The idea was to remove the existing closet, cut a doorway into the storage room, build a dividing wall turning the storage room into two closets, patch and paint, and be done. Like everything else, the project has snowballed ridiculously.

Upon tearing out the closet, I found shady wiring, terrible framing, and mold on the stem wall insulation. In fixing all that, the layout of the recessed lighting and the lack of sound insulation in the ceiling kept bugging me. So out came the ceiling. Then after finding more 14ga wire scabbed onto the 12ga (I knew about this and changed the breaker when I redid the panel), most of the rest of the drywall came out. Once everything was opened up, I redid what framing I could, rewired, re-insulated, and re-drywalled. That leaves me with drywall finishing to do which I hate and take too long to do, so I have a taper coming tomorrow to start on that. While he's doing that, I get to refocus on tiling an upstairs shower (thread coming soon). No rest for me!

On to the pictures...

The start. The room was kind of a catch-all for stuff as I worked on the rest of the house.

The other end of the room after existing closet removal. Forgot to take a pic of the room as it was before I started.

Cleaned up a bit.

Storage room as it was.

Advertisement

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #2

Keyless that was in the closet. No wirenuts.

It gets better.

Starting the door.

Ceiling out.

New doorway.

Soffit

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,226

That's how projects usually start. You start with one thing and wind up taking the whole thing down to the studs.

Looking good so far.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

Storage room demo.

Framing the back to back closets and dropping the ceiling to accommodate ducting.

Drywall going up. Ceiling was done at this point. I put in Roxul Safe & Sound, resilient channel, and 5/8 drywall. I neglected to take pictures of the Roxul and channel I guess. Here you can see the power and low volt boxes where the TV will go. Not sue why I put the conduit in. The LV boxes are directly above each other and open. I realized the uselessness of it after it was in.

Getting the lower walls ready. Shimming the ledge shelves level.

Shims on one end and on the other. The numbers vary with each stack.

Insulation in.

Drywall up.

So that's where I'm at with this as of now. Taper comes tomorrow to start and hopefully by next weekend I'll be putting in trim.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
Exterior Construction

Looking good so far.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,658

Nice job! It's good that you took care of all the problems behind the original drywall.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,388

oh yeah, out with the old, in with the new. its so nice to get the new smell and look as you are putting on primer and paint, and putting in that last door knob screw. very nice.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:41 AM   #8

Thanks guys. I can't wait to have this finished. The house is already a disaster with materials and tools everywhere from other projects. Having furniture and misc room contents strewn about isn't helping.

Anyways, the taper finished yesterday. There are a few spots to touch up and sand a little bit, but for his prices I can't complain. So with the taping finished, I need to get the floor patched in and all in place so I can get the trim done. And I need the trim done in order to prime and paint the room as I want to spray out the trim in place.

I was previously just going to patch the flooring where the walls for the closet had been but after finding the flooring that was in the bedroom on clearance, I decided to remove and replace the existing flooring in the closet so it would all match. So yesterday I got the old flooring in the closet ripped out. It was a nail down 3/4 bamboo on top of plywood tapconned directly to the concrete. Not a lot of fun to rip out but got it done. The bigger issue was that when I got it out, there was a big hump in the middle of the closet floor with dips in the corners. So it needed some leveler first. Which meant hours of grinding old carpet glue off, then cleaning the mess that made.

Anyways, here's where I started today. You can see I already put the platon and padding down in the closet.

Flooring and underlayment removed. I had to take up the whole floor s that everything could properly weave and lock together.

Landscape fabric down. This just keeps the platon from clicking on the concrete as you walk on it.

Platon. All the seams of the padding and platon get taped so as to make it a vapor barrier.

Flooring in.

Thanks for looking. I better get to bed. Long day of trim and door hanging to do tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #9
Exterior Construction

Dude...you are killing it. Keep up the good work.

Advertisement