I'm Going Green In My Garage... - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

I'm going green in my garage...

I have been slacking on updating any of my projects as of late(recently have become a dad), but this was too cool for me to pass up posting about. I put in a couple four foot long led tubes, almost 600 leds

It's almost like working in the daylight. I added a extra pantry and some more shelving that I thought I had pics of, I'll have to post those up later

Advertisement

jackie treehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,036

LED's are finally coming around. I just wish the price would drop a little more. It was pointed out to me that if we all dropped our energy consumption 50% then the utility companies would not make as much money. They in turn will hike the rates to make up the lost revinews. It seems we can't win. dorf dude...

Advertisement

ccnvchris (12-06-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

so, what kind of cost do you have in those. output? total wattage? expected life?

look like some nice units though.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Home owner

Send a message via AIM to Bootz

looks great man ... should post this up in the organize section i put up :D love the LEDs!
Bootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:19 AM   #5

they have a 5 year warranty, thats under the premise that they'll be on 24/7, at that rate they last me twenty years

These ones are ~16 watts, and are equal to a 40 watt flourescent tube, as for price, not certain as these were some sales samples, I'd guess 60-80 a tube.

People who own office buildings and such would see the biggest benefit, I think if I build a house I'd probably try to incorporate some of these in a soffit or something to light the house, that'd be sweet.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie treehorn View Post

These ones are ~16 watts, and are equal to a 40 watt flourescent tube, as for price, not certain as these were some sales samples, I'd guess 60-80 a tube.
and you didn't bring enough share? Geez.

Just kidding. Do you work for a supplier or manuf? Trying to avoid getting anybody into problems with spam so don't answer anything you think might. I haven't seen units such as that before. So, manufacturer of the units? Are these market ready or still prototype?

speaking of lighting in a soffit. I'm looking for a better pic but if you look here, this is a chapel in a local hospital. I installed the LED lighting above the soffit you can see in this pic.

http://www.sjmed.com/locations/newho...aithBased.aspx

they are controlled with a system similar to a Magic Eye (and actually might be, just can't remember) The circle is probably 30 diameter. I used units about 1 foot long that had (IIRC) 4 or 5 LEDs (similar in look to the ones in your units) each. They were designed to be plugged into each other with about 6 or 8 inches between them.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
LED's are finally coming around. I just wish the price would drop a little more. It was pointed out to me that if we all dropped our energy consumption 50% then the utility companies would not make as much money. They in turn will hike the rates to make up the lost revinews.
In a truly deregulated market, no. The opposite would happen. When demand goes down, price goes down. The power companies could also reduce supply by lowering their output (which isn't like flipping a switch), but then that's what we're trying to do, right? Energy rates only go up with demand, scarcity, or when the market is too heavily regulated:
- License fees
- Costs due to environmental regs
- Price supports/caps
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
and you didn't bring enough share? Geez.

Just kidding. Do you work for a supplier or manuf? Trying to avoid getting anybody into problems with spam so don't answer anything you think might. I haven't seen units such as that before. So, manufacturer of the units? Are these market ready or still prototype?

speaking of lighting in a soffit. I'm looking for a better pic but if you look here, this is a chapel in a local hospital. I installed the LED lighting above the soffit you can see in this pic.

http://www.sjmed.com/locations/newho...aithBased.aspx

they are controlled with a system similar to a Magic Eye (and actually might be, just can't remember) The circle is probably 30 diameter. I used units about 1 foot long that had (IIRC) 4 or 5 LEDs (similar in look to the ones in your units) each. They were designed to be plugged into each other with about 6 or 8 inches between them.
Those look nice! I got these from a friend who's in the business, he knew my love for leds, so hooked me up when he got a chance. I used something similar to what you're describing with a chain of leds for my deck seating.
My deck, a diy four month adventure(deck thread)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #9

Got some pics of my extra pantry, shoerack and overhead storage, it's kinda messy now:

Advertisement