Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #7111
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,056
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
I had to devise some sort of mount for the faucet, as it is the type which would normally mount flush with the surface. But as the sink itself is raised nearly 7", the faucet needed the same treatment.
It's all coming together nicely now Keith.

Keith, do they make an extension kit for that faucet? It looks similar to the one we use with our vessel sink and we bought an extension kit for it. Came with extra long supply lines and I think 3 risers so we could pick a height.

__________________
Bill

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #7112
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
It's all coming together nicely now Keith.

Keith, do they make an extension kit for that faucet? It looks similar to the one we use with our vessel sink and we bought an extension kit for it. Came with extra long supply lines and I think 3 risers so we could pick a height.
NOW you tell me!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #7113
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
The only other thing I had to make sure of was that the supply lines were kept well back. Remember that I don't have the hot/cold lines buried in the wall here, they were added after the fact.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea.
Sometime when you need something to do (ha ha ha) you could build a cover to hide the plumbing under that sink. Maybe a five-sided cover (box) with an open back that would sit on the floor and slide into place against the wall. Paint it to match the cabinet - out of sight out of mind.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #7114
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 193
Rewards Points: 150
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Keith, I noticed you are using copper pipe for the plumbing..and..my whole house had same, but when I was in the process of 'doing' basement..etc., I eliminated all the copper and used 'Pex' tubing and fittings..just because I thought it was newer and better..and now..a "Sage' such as yourself, is using copper..just curious, if you had a reason, other than past experience with same, or..there is something I don't know which is a 'negative' for using .."Pex".
scoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #7115
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Sometime when you need something to do (ha ha ha) you could build a cover to hide the plumbing under that sink. Maybe a five-sided cover (box) with an open back that would sit on the floor and slide into place against the wall. Paint it to match the cabinet - out of sight out of mind.
Hmmmmmm...note to self: check the other 1,849 items on the "to-do" list and see if it is on there. If it isn't...to hell with it.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #7116
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by scoggy View Post
Keith, I noticed you are using copper pipe for the plumbing..and..my whole house had same, but when I was in the process of 'doing' basement..etc., I eliminated all the copper and used 'Pex' tubing and fittings..just because I thought it was newer and better..and now..a "Sage' such as yourself, is using copper..just curious, if you had a reason, other than past experience with same, or..there is something I don't know which is a 'negative' for using .."Pex".
Syd, there's nothing wrong with either copper or Pex. If I were starting a new build today I would go with Pex just because it is so much faster. Push the pipe into a fitting and that's it.

I do have two Pex lines running from the utility room to the kitchen sink (hot and cold) and the reason for those is because I had to somehow run the two lines through the insulation in the floor - foamboard - and up to the sink. It should be posted somewhere on the thread.

As for the copper, well I got a whole boatload of fittings at the right price (read free here) and then I ran across about 200 odd feet of new 1/2" copper tubing up at Habitat for an absolute song. So it was a no brainer to use copper for most of it.

Still have lots of copper fittings left over and just one piece of tubing.

Adding a bit about Pex. The push in fittings I mention above are for going from copper to Pex. Just push the lines into the Pex and that's it. I think the usual fitting is a crimp on jobbie.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/

Last edited by cocobolo; 11-05-2012 at 06:15 PM. Reason: added
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #7117
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Ah so, honourable readers...today I attempted to fit the 200 pound body into the 150 pound space under the house.

There were four drains to be connected and then run out down the bank towards the bay. Just greywater, nothing to be unduly alarmed about. The limited amount of water will feed the plants on the bank nicely I hope.

If you have not had the pleasure of attempting such a feat, you really should try it, if for no other reason than to sagely nod your head when someone else tells you they have tried such a ridiculous stunt.

It was such fun I tell you, I only wish that you were all here with me to participate in this joyous occasion. Then I would have had someone to yell at!

Did I run out of ABS pipe? Of course. But not before the drains were all connected and the line run part way out. Better than nothing.

I enjoyed every hour of it...NOT!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #7118
Ole Wood Worker
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,541
Rewards Points: 2,270
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Ah so, honourable readers...today I attempted to fit the 200 pound body into the 150 pound space under the house.

There were four drains to be connected and then run out down the bank towards the bay. Just greywater, nothing to be unduly alarmed about. The limited amount of water will feed the plants on the bank nicely I hope.

If you have not had the pleasure of attempting such a feat, you really should try it, if for no other reason than to sagely nod your head when someone else tells you they have tried such a ridiculous stunt.

It was such fun I tell you, I only wish that you were all here with me to participate in this joyous occasion. Then I would have had someone to yell at!

Did I run out of ABS pipe? Of course. But not before the drains were all connected and the line run part way out. Better than nothing.

I enjoyed every hour of it...NOT!
Buddy, I have claustrophobia bad, I had to go under a house I use to live in and it was really low to the ground, the more I thought about it the worse I hated it. I grabbed the chainsaw, cut the floor out, laid the pipe, then fixed the floor, that is the redneck way.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7119
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
If you have not had the pleasure of attempting such a feat, you really should try it, if for no other reason than to sagely nod your head when someone else tells you they have tried such a ridiculous stunt.
Years ago when I thought I was a plumber I contracted to install some new water lines under a house changing old galvanized pipe to rigid copper. The laundry room was on one end of the house, but, the crawl space access was in a bedroom closet at the far end of the house.

At some time the homeowner had insulated under the house and the old insulation was drooping and falling everywhere. I crawled under the house with my trusty flashlight dodging the failing insulation and made my way slowly to the far end of the house. I had a tool bag tied with a rope to my belt and about five sticks of copper also tied to my belt with another rope. I crawled through the dirt slowly panning my light here and there when suddenly two bright red dots came into my light beam.

HOLY CRAP MAN!!!

To this day I have no idea what was down there with me. The dots were too far apart to be a cat, well too far apart to be a house-cat.

Anyway I told the homeowner they would have to call a plumber because I didn't think I was qualified to do the job afterall. It is really difficult to make a u-turn under a house with ten foot long copper tubing tied to your belt as you scramble to save your own life from creatures unknown.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-05-2012), drtbk4ever (11-06-2012), gma2rjc (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #7120
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I grabbed the chainsaw, cut the floor out, that is the redneck way.
Sounds like the sort of thing I might pull!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
SeeDBee (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #7121
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Years ago when I thought I was a plumber....
I crawled under the house with my trusty flashlight when suddenly two bright red dots came into my light beam.

HOLY CRAP MAN!!!

To this day I have no idea what was down there with me. The dots were too far apart to be a cat, well too far apart to be a house-cat.

Anyway, I told the homeowner they would have to call a plumber because I didn't think I was qualified to do the job after all.
Is that when you took up laying tile?
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #7122
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Is that when you took up laying tile?
That was when I lived in Texas.

Quote:
Is that when you took up laying tile?
I gave up plumbing and I took up laying tile not too long after I reached in-under a dishwasher to disconnect it and when I pulled it out there was a nest of scorpions under that sucker. They began running in circles and in all directions, it was maddening, I was able to stomp most of them and finish the dishwasher job but that was pretty much [it] for me and plumbing. That was when I finally realized what was meant by; "Don't Mess With Texas".

Well then there was also the time I opened the door on my pickup and there sat a copperhead all coiled up and attentive. Have no idea how he got inside my truck.

Had another snake incident (IN TEXAS) while out fishing one day. A friend and I were trolling my boat in shallow waters under some overhanging tree limbs and a damned cotton mouth dropped into the boat with us. Now that was funny as hell (AFTERWARD). My partner was more afraid of snakes than I was and he scrambled trying to climb on top of the motor and I stood on a pedestal chair and netted the snake and threw him overboard fish-net and all.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #7123
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

A friend and I were trolling my boat in shallow waters under some overhanging tree limbs and a damned cotton mouth dropped into the boat with us. I stood on a pedestal chair and netted the snake and threw him overboard fish-net and all.
Seems like a waste of a perfectly good fish net. You should have chopped him up and used him for bait.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #7124
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,242
Rewards Points: 2,134
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Seems like a waste of a perfectly good fish net. You should have chopped him up and used him for bait.
Easy to say when the snake isn't in YOUR boat! Fish nets are cheap, we had another one that afternoon. And we didn't take it (the fish net) under any low-hanging tree limbs anymore either.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #7125
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,661
Rewards Points: 2,060
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Easy to say when the snake isn't in YOUR boat! Fish nets are cheap, we had another one that afternoon. And we didn't take it (the fish net) under any low-hanging tree limbs anymore either.
I tend to stick to homebuilding, not fishing.

__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.