Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #4876
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Share |
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Here too Jim. Shouldn't it be the guys and gals risking their lives for our country who get excellent benefits for the rest of their lives? If I'm not mistaken, the politicians children don't have to pay back their student loans either.

It's bass ackwards.

We have 6% sales tax on everything except for food. Food at restaurants is taxed. A year or so ago, they were talking about adding a tax to some services as well - tanning, haircuts, etc.
Barb: Several years ago I was talking to a retired U.S.Forces chap down on Salt Spring Island. I would guess he was perhaps in his late 30's. At the time he was drawing a lifetime pension paying him $3,800 (U.S.) per month.

This would have been at least 10 years ago, so if his pension is indexed, I would say he was pretty much set for life.

__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #4877
Newbie Bill
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,054
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
A few days ago we had this odd evening sky...these are a couple of the pics I got just looking in slightly different directions.
Nice...
__________________
Bill

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drtbk4ever For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (07-03-2011)
Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #4878
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,653
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Keith, do ya'll eat fried green tomatoes up your way? I love them things, I could eat a bunch of them right now. The stores here don't cut ya any slack because the tomatoes are green.

Talking about different things to eat, have you ever had chocolate gravy and home made biscuits? Man talk about good, that is some fine eating right there.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #4879
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Keith, do ya'll eat fried green tomatoes up your way? I love them things, I could eat a bunch of them right now. The stores here don't cut ya any slack because the tomatoes are green.

Talking about different things to eat, have you ever had chocolate gravy and home made biscuits? Man talk about good, that is some fine eating right there.
I gotta admit Jim...you sure do have an adventuresome diet!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #4880
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Happy Independence Day!

Enjoy your holiday south of the border.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (07-05-2011), gma2rjc (07-04-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 05:07 PM   #4881
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,124
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
I made this giant economy size lazy Susan as the base for a Dobsonion telescope several years ago. Nothing like a little recycling, so I used it to stack a couple of boxes of octagonal tiles on.
Ah-h-h-h-h! Brilliant minds think alike.
A few years ago when the tile sizes began increasing and it became necessary to not only spread thinset on the substrate but to also skim-coat the backs of each tile with thinset to account for the large tiles and the warping there of I built a lazy Susan to skim-coat the backs of the tiles. Works like a champ. That particular little home made tool is one of my "trade secrets", so don't tell anybody about it.

In all honesty I never thought about using it to stack tiles for edge-sealing. THAT is an excellent idea.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #4882
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,124
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Yet another rant.

Seems that here in Nebraska state park attendance has been dwindling so in an attempt to increase usage and attendance (and fee revenue) the Legislature just this year passed a law (once again) allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages in the parks and public use areas. This had been outlawed maybe a decade ago. Attendance has been dwindling because (according to local word of mouth) the damned parks have become overrun with droves of (outsiders) having fiesta after fiesta. The parks just haven't been that safe for a long time. The prohibition wasn't working of course but the laws also weren't being enforced so the parks have become a dangerous place to be in some cases. Especially after dark.

Rather than enforce the rules and weed out the rowdies so that decent people could use the facilities safely the Legislature with all of their genius and foresight and undeniable wisdom decided allowing booze back in the parks was the thing to do.

This week end at the lake develop my son and I went to two weeks ago a twelve year old and a nineteen year from the Carolinas were killed. They were run-over by an intoxicated pontoon boat operator.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #4883
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,653
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Yet another rant.

Seems that here in Nebraska state park attendance has been dwindling so in an attempt to increase usage and attendance (and fee revenue) the Legislature just this year passed a law (once again) allowing the consumption of alcoholic beverages in the parks and public use areas. This had been outlawed maybe a decade ago. Attendance has been dwindling because (according to local word of mouth) the damned parks have become overrun with droves of (outsiders) having fiesta after fiesta. The parks just haven't been that safe for a long time. The prohibition wasn't working of course but the laws also weren't being enforced so the parks have become a dangerous place to be in some cases. Especially after dark.

Rather than enforce the rules and weed out the rowdies so that decent people could use the facilities safely the Legislature with all of their genius and foresight and undeniable wisdom decided allowing booze back in the parks was the thing to do.

This week end at the lake develop my son and I went to two weeks ago a twelve year old and a nineteen year from the Carolinas were killed. They were run-over by an intoxicated pontoon boat operator.
Good gravy, that was a bad call, I am glad to say that would not go on for a second here. These ole boys down this way get serious about drinking in parks and on the water, they will lock you up in a heart beat. Maybe the law up your way thinks it can make more money off fines for drunks. The intelligence of politicians never cease to amaze me.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #4884
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Ah-h-h-h-h! Brilliant minds think alike.
A few years ago when the tile sizes began increasing and it became necessary to not only spread thinset on the substrate but to also skim-coat the backs of each tile with thinset to account for the large tiles and the warping there of I built a lazy Susan to skim-coat the backs of the tiles. Works like a champ. That particular little home made tool is one of my "trade secrets", so don't tell anybody about it.

In all honesty I never thought about using it to stack tiles for edge-sealing. THAT is an excellent idea.
Bud, after trying to seal the edges of the tiles which were already set, I knew I should have done the edges at the very least.

Now I have a conveyor belt system going, where I do the edges, then shift the tiles out onto a set of boards which holds about 40 tiles.

On days like today - YES I'm pleased to say we are having sun all day - sealing the face of the tiles with two coats takes but a few minutes.
Why is it that you learn all these things a year too late?
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #4885
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,124
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Why is it that you learn all these things a year too late?

Last edited by Bud Cline; 07-06-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: forgot the "" ""
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #4886
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Why is it that you learn all these things a year too late?

Must have something to do with needing a year's experience to find all the mistakes we can make...!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 AM   #4887
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Well, it seems the missus has done something untoward to her leg and she's all but immobile.

I told her this flagrant attempt at trying to get sympathy will only work for so long...like about 15 minutes.

So I needed to whip over to town this afternoon for a few items from the House of Pot for an outdoor shower I am building up by the hot tub. OK, while I am there would I mind just picking up a "couple" of things. Remember that word "couple" that she used referring to plants last year? Same thing with the groceries. I darn near got writer's cramp making up the list.

Last week we did a major cleanup down in the bay, and she thinks that she did the damage then moving too much stuff to the fire. We'll see what a "couple" of days rest does for it.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4888
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,653
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Well, it seems the missus has done something untoward to her leg and she's all but immobile.

I told her this flagrant attempt at trying to get sympathy will only work for so long...like about 15 minutes.

So I needed to whip over to town this afternoon for a few items from the House of Pot for an outdoor shower I am building up by the hot tub. OK, while I am there would I mind just picking up a "couple" of things. Remember that word "couple" that she used referring to plants last year? Same thing with the groceries. I darn near got writer's cramp making up the list.

Last week we did a major cleanup down in the bay, and she thinks that she did the damage then moving too much stuff to the fire. We'll see what a "couple" of days rest does for it.
Tell your sweety that we hope she gets to feeling much better soon.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #4889
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,000
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
OK, while I am there would I mind just picking up a "couple" of things. Remember that word "couple" that she used referring to plants last year? Same thing with the groceries. I darn near got writer's cramp making up the list.
....

I hope her leg is feeling better today. It would be a shame to not get out and enjoy the summer weather.

Are you going to get the hot tub up and running once the shower is in?
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (07-06-2011)
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #4890
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: central virginia mountains
Posts: 1,857
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Bud, always laughed at braille on atm drive thru, I'm guessin used for walk up also

__________________
The older I get the better I was
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.