Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #4411
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Share |
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootz View Post
Hey thanks for the help the miss was freaking out a bit thinking I ruined it
One good thing will come of all this...you won't make the same mistake twice!

It's only wood, and you can always fix that.

__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #4412
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: central virginia mountains
Posts: 1,857
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
One good thing will come of all this...you won't make the same mistake twice!

It's only wood, and you can always fix that.
__________________
The older I get the better I was
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #4413
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,940
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Ralph and Edna were both patients in a mental hospital. One day while they
were walking past the hospital swimming pool,
Ralph suddenly jumped into the deep end.

He sank to the bottom of the pool and stayed
there...

Edna promptly jumped in to save him. She swam to the bottom and pulled him out. When the Head Nurse Director became aware of Edna's heroic act she immediately ordered her to be discharged
from the hospital, as she now considered her to
be mentally stable.

When she went to tell Edna the news she said,
'Edna, I have good news and bad news....The good news is you're being discharged, since you were able to rationally respond to a crisis by jumping
in and saving the life of the person you love...I have concluded that your act displays sound
mindedness.

The bad news is, Ralph hung himself in the
bathroom with his bathrobe belt right after you saved him. I am so sorry, but he's dead.'

Edna replied, 'He didn't hang himself, I put him there to dry........
How soon can I go home?'

Happy Mental Health Day!

You can do your part by remembering to send an
email to an unstable friend...
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-06-2011), cocobolo (02-11-2011), gma2rjc (01-06-2011), sbmfj (07-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #4414
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

You can do your part by remembering to send an
email to an unstable friend...
You're not trying to send me a message are you?
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #4415
Member
 
Handy Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 185
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Dear Keith,

You continue to amaze me with your various DIY talents and powers. Well done, sir. You are a very capable man. Even the most accomplished of us have much to learn from you, indeed.

Sincerely,

Handy Vinny
__________________
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handy Vinny For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #4416
Member
 
Handy Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 185
Default

Gulf Island Building.


I apologize for being redundant in my posts, but I was wondering if it has ever occurred to you to write DIY book.

Have you ever had any offers of any kind?
__________________
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handy Vinny For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #4417
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
I apologize for being redundant in my posts, but I was wondering if it has ever occurred to you to write DIY book.

Have you ever had any offers of any kind?
I don't believe I have had any such offers to entertain. However, it has been mentioned on the odd occasion by some of the more kind and generous members on this thread.

A complete DIY book would be better written by a group of people each of whom needs to be an expert in their field. A book along the lines of what one person has accomplished over several years would be much easier.

That was extremely kind of you to say.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #4418
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,940
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
You're not trying to send me a message are you?
Nope! Not directed towards anyone here. Just sharing an email I received from my wife. I'm wondering now if I have just viewed a glimpse of MY FUTURE.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #4419
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,140
Default

Gulf Island Building.


But a book describing your entire journey through the building of the cabin and the house would be rather interesting.

Especially the techniques you've used that even seasoned contractors and carpenters haven't seen in their lifetime. For example, most people would have never considered making their own curved and twisted hand rails from wood they had on hand. Things like that are extremely interesting.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-06-2011), cocobolo (01-06-2011), Handy Vinny (01-06-2011), sbmfj (07-06-2011)
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #4420
Member
 
Handy Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 185
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
But a book describing your entire journey through the building of the cabin and the house would be rather interesting.

Especially the techniques you've used that even seasoned contractors and carpenters haven't seen in their lifetime. For example, most people would have never considered making their own curved and twisted hand rails from wood they had on hand. Things like that are extremely interesting.
Yes, very well stated.

There is so much DIY-literature that is utter fluff, and it would be nice to read something substantive and, perhaps a little different, for a change.
__________________
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.
Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #4421
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Nope! Not directed towards anyone here. Just sharing an email I received from my wife. I'm wondering now if I have just viewed a glimpse of MY FUTURE.
You DO know I was kidding...right...

While you're around...could you let me know what the minimum temperature might be to set tile in? It looks like we are going to be pretty cool for awhile, but then maybe some days getting up around 45 - 48. Might that be enough? I don't want to leave the tile any longer than I have to, it's kind of in the way of everything right now.

Thanks Bud.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #4422
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,940
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
While you're around...could you let me know what the minimum temperature might be to set tile in?
Sorry to say 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit. At 55 the chemical interactions begin to slow and at 50 they can go dormant. Thereby wrecking all intentions. This minimum is required for a few days day and night. I don't remember for sure but I'm thinking seven days.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #4423
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Sorry to say 50-55 degrees Fahrenheit. At 55 the chemical interactions begin to slow and at 50 they can go dormant. Thereby wrecking all intentions. This minimum is required for a few days day and night. I don't remember for sure but I'm thinking seven days.
Which means that I would need to keep the woodstove's going to keep the temperature up that high. OK, looks like it will be waiting for awhile.

It's not like I don't have anything else to do. Good to know that...thanks, Bud.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #4424
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,584
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Well, it was a good news - bad news day. But i won't bore you with the bad.

A week ago, my wife's brother in law was taken to hospital in South Africa unconscious. He had suffered a subdural haematoma. Often it is fatal.

After 5 days in ICU and two days further in hospital - he was released today apparently doing extremely well. We are thrilled.

And we also heard from very close friends in OZ who we thought might be affected by the floods. In fact, there were no email replies and I thought I had messed up somewhere along the line. Just heard back a few minutes ago and all is well.

Finally managed to buy our new (to us) boat today. I made my offer, and he said - Oh, that's too much - and knocked several hundred off my offer price! When's the last time someone did that for you!

Back to house work tomorrow, and some pics I hope.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #4425
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,185
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Well, it was a good news - bad news day. But i won't bore you with the bad.

A week ago, my wife's brother in law was taken to hospital in South Africa unconscious. He had suffered a subdural haematoma. Often it is fatal.

After 5 days in ICU and two days further in hospital - he was released today apparently doing extremely well. We are thrilled.

And we also heard from very close friends in OZ who we thought might be affected by the floods. In fact, there were no email replies and I thought I had messed up somewhere along the line. Just heard back a few minutes ago and all is well.

Finally managed to buy our new (to us) boat today. I made my offer, and he said - Oh, that's too much - and knocked several hundred off my offer price! When's the last time someone did that for you!

Back to house work tomorrow, and some pics I hope.
Keith that is great news, we will keep him in our prayers.

Yesterday had to be an emotional roller coaster for ya'll. Do you have any pictures of your new boat? What size motor does it have? That was really nice of the fellow to back off the price for you like that. I don't think anyone would be bored with the bad news buddy, I think I would have just cried.

__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.