Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #3796
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,124
Share |
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
You're right, there is no shortage of sawdust or planer shavings here.

We use the shavings to start the woodstoves in the morning, or for the composting toilets.

Any that is left over gets bagged for future use in the same fashion.

Wife number two likes to use the sawdust (as opposed to planer shavings) to put on the pathways. It has been noted by our numerous visitors that we have the softest pathways on the island.

Eventually, the sawdust breaks down and turns itself back in to soil. She keeps adding to the pathways constantly. It also helps to prevent the weeds growing on the pathways.

At the moment we have something over 500 feet of pathways here, with more to come.

A morning shot - taken a few minutes ago with the sun just peeking through the trees. Gives the best light.
Well of course - I knew it would be something like that. Waste not, want not.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #3797
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,124
Default

Gulf Island Building.


You guys are driving me nuts with all this car-talk. I had a few nice ones back then.

Had several favorites but probably the best was the weird-green 1967 396/402 convertible. White top and white interior. Straight out of the factory with a four speed on the floor and Hurst linkage and shifter. Had what looked and felt like a cue-ball for a shifter knob.

Had a '66 Ford GTA 390. That was another screamer and since it was an automatic I wasn't replacing clutches all the time. Tires-yes, clutches-no.

Had a '65 mustang fast back. Only a 290, but a limited production high performance 290, again straight out of the factory. Competition orange with the black stripes popular back then. Original-Keystone mags.

Had others including a Javelin and one of the first Datsun 240Z's to hit the Midwest. The Z was capable of 160-MPH if memory serves. I remember a smooth sounding hiss at 142. Lost my nerve about there.


That's funny...
My spell check won't accept the word "Datsun." Go figure!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #3798
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You guys are driving me nuts with all this car-talk. I had a few nice ones back then.

Had several favorites but probably the best was the weird-green 1967 396/402 convertible. White top and white interior. Straight out of the factory with a four speed on the floor and Hurst linkage and shifter. Had what looked and felt like a cue-ball for a shifter knob.

Had a '66 Ford GTA 390. That was another screamer and since it was an automatic I wasn't replacing clutches all the time. Tires-yes, clutches-no.

Had a '65 mustang fast back. Only a 290, but a limited production high performance 290, again straight out of the factory. Competition orange with the black stripes popular back then. Original-Keystone mags.

Had others including a Javelin and one of the first Datsun 240Z's to hit the Midwest. The Z was capable of 160-MPH if memory serves. I remember a smooth sounding hiss at 142. Lost my nerve about there.


That's funny...
My spell check won't accept the word "Datsun." Go figure!
Wasn't the Muskrat a 289? One of the guys where I worked bought one of those, but a ragtop. Bright orange, but no racing stripes.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #3799
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,649
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
They always called it a 301 when you took an eighth out of a 283. I think is was closer to 302, 301.59 or so. So that's what GM called the 302 Camaro motor later on.

But, hang on a sec, if you had a 327 crank, that was 3 1/4 stroke. The 265-283 motors were 3". So you should have had 327 CI.

Remember Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins? He ran the SBC in a Chevy twice into the low 12's.

And if I remember rightly, he was one of the first to weld a piece of tubing into the oil pan to pass the steering rod through.

My '65 Chevelle - strictly a street car - a family car actually, ran 14.3 at 96. The only real mod was a set of headers which I designed and built and the cheater slicks.

My headers were the type which were the true 180 tuned headers, which meant you needed to connect two from one side of the engine to two from the opposite side. A nightmare to build, but worked like crazy.
You are right, it would have been a 327, for crying out loud, all that work for nothing. Buddy, 14.3 at 96 is impressive, that would hold you back in your seat. Man if I would of had that kind of headers I would have been on cloud 9. Some times I wish we could go back in the 60s, life was harder but it was a lot simpler. Cars didn't have all the garbage they have on them now. The only ones that can work on these cars this day and time are the dealers and that costs a fortune.

Bud, that is some nice cars, I had a 65 tang also but it wasn't a fast back and it only had a 6 banger. The only other Ford I owned, that I remember, was a pickup with a 390 in it and you are right, that 390 was one mean machine.

I was mostly into Chevys back then but did own others like a 64 Plymouth Fury silver edition, 68 Pontiac Formula Fire Bird and a loooot of VWs, I loved them little bugs.

That 240Z was a nice car but I couldn't afford the insurance on one, the insurance was higher than the car payments.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 PM   #3800
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The other wicked gaz motor I have work on before is Chrysler 440 engine if you build it up right that one is a insane motor I have one on my old Dodge pick up truck with 440 CID LP GAZ engine ran that one with 10.5 slugs with marine camshaft I manged to snap few U Joints from time to time when I hit the throttle too hard.{about 500 ish HP @ 4000 RPM }

But for diesel engine side I am working on a semi truck engine and I am on the second engine the first one I have it was 936 CID but ran little over 1500 HP next one I should get about 2200 or so HP.{ yeah I work on old Detorits as well }

Merci,
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #3801
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The other wicked gaz motor I have work on before is Chrysler 440 engine if you build it up right that one is a insane motor I have one on my old Dodge pick up truck with 440 CID LP GAZ engine ran that one with 10.5 slugs with marine camshaft I manged to snap few U Joints from time to time when I hit the throttle too hard.{about 500 ish HP @ 4000 RPM }

But for diesel engine side I am working on a semi truck engine and I am on the second engine the first one I have it was 936 CID but ran little over 1500 HP next one I should get about 2200 or so HP.{ yeah I work on old Detorits as well }

Merci,
Marc
That's right...those 440's had a real boatload of torque. But terrible gas mileage to go with it!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 12:14 AM   #3802
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
That's right...those 440's had a real boatload of torque. But terrible gas mileage to go with it!
Ya D*am right they do burn gaz like nuts I useally get about 12[mpg] on the road if I go easy with throttle but pull the 12,000 lbs trailer aww forget it it will drop down to about 4 to 6 MPG but yeah insane toqure and this engine I work on it converted and reset to burn on straight LP gaz not dual fuel set up at all so I have decent power fuel milage is not too bad about right on par with straight gazoline verison. and this engine burn so clean I did not have to change oil very often and only replace the plugs once 3 years that it.

Yeah I have 120 gallon propane tank back on pick up truck and I can leave from central floride and get up to Superior Wisconsin with few gallons leftover.

D*amm that was nice good ole days

And Yes I did took the muffer off once to see how loud this 440 ran at full throttle and it did cause my freind become tempory deaf for couple days.

{ I do have other 440 CID engine in Paris France but not decided what to do with it yet }

Anyhow I really enjoying what you been doing with your house so far and done alot of wonderfull ways to it.



Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #3803
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


That's a good idea to on it on propane. As you say, much cleaner.

Is your other engine in Paris still original? In other words still run on Gasoline?
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #3804
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,367
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
You are right, it would have been a 327, for crying out loud, all that work for nothing. Buddy, 14.3 at 96 is impressive, that would hold you back in your seat. Man if I would of had that kind of headers I would have been on cloud 9. Some times I wish we could go back in the 60s, life was harder but it was a lot simpler. Cars didn't have all the garbage they have on them now. The only ones that can work on these cars this day and time are the dealers and that costs a fortune.

Bud, that is some nice cars, I had a 65 tang also but it wasn't a fast back and it only had a 6 banger. The only other Ford I owned, that I remember, was a pickup with a 390 in it and you are right, that 390 was one mean machine.

I was mostly into Chevys back then but did own others like a 64 Plymouth Fury silver edition, 68 Pontiac Formula Fire Bird and a loooot of VWs, I loved them little bugs.

That 240Z was a nice car but I couldn't afford the insurance on one, the insurance was higher than the car payments.
Talking of holding you back in your seat...this little guy did that in spades.

In fact, you needed to make darn sure you were aiming where you wanted to go before you got on the loud pedal.

If that wasn't enough for you, hit the NOS button. That'll straighten out your hair for sure!
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-22-bucket.jpg  
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 AM   #3805
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,649
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


That Mopar 440 was a bad engine also. I had an old police car with a 440 in it. I worked on it for a good while and got it running pretty good, that thing would burn the tires off.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM   #3806
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,649
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Talking of holding you back in your seat...this little guy did that in spades.

In fact, you needed to make darn sure you were aiming where you wanted to go before you got on the loud pedal.

If that wasn't enough for you, hit the NOS button. That'll straighten out your hair for sure!
My stars that is gorgeous, I bet that WAS one bad dude, just beautiful Keith.
I can't tell but what motor did it have? That had to be one fun rod to build, and drive.
I guess my favorite of all cars as far as old cars would go would be the 32-34 Ford coup.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 11-11-2010 at 01:09 AM.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:24 AM   #3807
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The way the motor look like as on the photo that I am pretty much pointed to pontaic due the exhaust ports are line up and it not excat the same pattern is SBC is.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 AM   #3808
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,649
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The way the motor look like as on the photo that I am pretty much pointed to pontaic due the exhaust ports are line up and it not excat the same pattern is SBC is.

Merci.
Marc
That would get my vote also Marc. I was going by the Valve covers though.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 AM   #3809
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
That's a good idea to on it on propane. As you say, much cleaner.

Is your other engine in Paris still original? In other words still run on Gasoline?
Yes the other 440 engine I have in Paris that is set up to run on gazoline but if you want to burn on Avgaz just bump the timming 15 advance.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 AM   #3810
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
That would get my vote also Marc. I was going by the Valve covers though.
Not always be Ponatic but also Oldsmoble as well they have same exhaust manfold pattern as well.

But the Oldsmobile the oil filler port is front of the engine never in the valve cover AFAIK.

Merci.
Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.