Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #3691
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Share |
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Here's the floor by the door, plainly not a fun section to have to fit. No, the flooring does not go under the door jambs - although there is space for it to do so - just.

It is cut to fit around all the obstructions.

If you want to push two pieces of flooring together on the floor, rather than elevate one piece to the required 25 and snap it down, you need to trim off part of the locking pattern. This, in turn, means that you need to introduce the dreaded glue into the MDF which will inevitably swell the flooring.

I am trusting that Bud's description of the after effects will dissuade anyone from trying this tactic.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-11-05-2.jpg  

__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #3692
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The main part of the floor came out like this...so far it looks fine.

I hope so, it's only been down a few hours...
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-11-05-3.jpg  
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #3693
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


This is what comprises their "laminate" and clearly shows the locking joint.

You can use either a sharp chisel or a small plane to remove the outside edge of the lip. So far I haven't needed to do this and sincerely hope I don't have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-11-05-4.jpg  
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #3694
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,098
Default

Gulf Island Building.


If you're running through the house wearing new socks and have to make a sharp turn on the laminate..... be careful you don't wipe out.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #3695
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
If you're running through the house wearing new socks and have to make a sharp turn on the laminate..... be careful you don't wipe out.
I have noticed that is is veeeeeeerrry slippery!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #3696
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,098
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Yes, especially when you're installing it and one scrap piece is laying upside down on the top of another piece. It's like stepping on ice.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #3697
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Yes, especially when you're installing it and one scrap piece is laying upside down on the top of another piece. It's like stepping on ice.
This stuff I have has a finish on both sides either of which is like ice.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:40 PM   #3698
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,579
Default

Gulf Island Building.


OK, OK, OK,

I said I would shut up - I lied.
Don't misunderstand me. There is a market for laminate flooring, a lot of people like it for a lot of reasons, the cost is right, the installation is easy enough under most circumstances. Keith's projects excluded, everything he does is deliberately complicated - and masterful I might add.

Quote:
It seems to me - and you can be the arbiter of this guess Bud - that if the areas are individually small that the problems should be reduced to a minimum.
Agreed, and I think that is what saves a lot of folks from total frustration. Most buyers have basically small rooms to deal with and the potential hazards can also be small.

Quote:
And one other thing...This flooring I have here, Kaindl, made in Austria, seems to be made from MDF with the surface applied to both sides.
That seems to be the current phase of construction the laminate products are all in. Both sides are now covered with a plastic something. They also (several years ago) began to impregnate the core material to help stabilize it and mitigate moisture migration.

Quote:
However, I hardly think that these surfaces - which are perhaps a couple of thousandths of an inch thick - really qualify as a laminate. More like MDF with paint on both sides.
Now I am smiling at that appraisal, I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:
Also, it is the surface which carries the 25 year warranty. If you read the whole of the (very) fine print, you will discover that there are enough exclusions that your chances of succeeding with a warranty claim will be very low.
Hit that one right on the head there Keith. The truth is "paid claims" in any of the floor covering products are few and far between. The percentages are very low. Some more than others but typically they don't exceed 2%.

Quote:
I just walked around the new floor several times, but I didn't hear any noise at all.
I have walked on many of those suckers and I agree that they have a sound all of their own. Of course the hardness of the shoe sole has everything to do with it. The laminates using the foam cushion seem to be the most quiet of them all. When Pergo first arrived we were using 4mil poly for a moisture barrier but it wasn't long before Pergo came out with their own plastic sheeting material. I often wondered why that product didn't cross the pond with the Pergo if it was proven for seventeen years previous.

Quote:
If you want to push two pieces of flooring together on the floor, rather than elevate one piece to the required 25 and snap it down, you need to trim off part of the locking pattern. This, in turn, means that you need to introduce the dreaded glue into the MDF which will inevitably swell the flooring.
Back when the product was straight tongue and groove it wasn't unusual to reverse directions and splines were available for this purpose. Tucking some of that stuff is impossible with the "lift and click" systems today. So...yes...the tongues must be altered.

Quote:
This is what comprises their "laminate" and clearly shows the locking joint.
And years ago Pergo would sell you a specialized profile router bit so you could correct any of their tongues that may have misfired at their mill. So much for quality control.
A single router bit from Pergo only cost the installer 80 bucks. That was probably the only eighty dollar router bit I had ever seen in my entire life.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 11-05-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (11-05-2010)
Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #3699
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


About three years ago, a neighbour across the bay from us put a laminate floor down in their cabin.

He also had the bright idea to run an overflow pipe from his outside 1500 gallon water tank to a 5 gallon bucket underneath their kitchen sink. I have absolutely no idea why he did that.

The inevitable happened. They left for the winter and forgot to disconnect the overflow pipe. All winter long water was being run into their cabin, and by the time they arrived back in the spring, they were greeted with a floor with waves big enough to surf on.

Since he's a low energy sort of guy, he just left it in place.

Can you imagine the warranty claim?

And how did this happen Sir?

Well, I was washing the floor - with 10,000 gallons of water, and it just all buckled up like this. I don't understand why at all...
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #3700
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,029
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
If you're running through the house wearing new socks and have to make a sharp turn on the laminate..... be careful you don't wipe out.
I don't think that will be a problem in our house, ain't nobody here can run.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #3701
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I don't think that will be a problem in our house, ain't nobody here can run.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #3702
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,579
Default

Gulf Island Building.


ANOTHER SIDE BAR:

About ten years ago when all this Internet forum stuff was still taking tiny baby steps one of the very first insightful (flooring) websites was offered by a guy in northern California by the name of Dave Spreen. Dave had to do with international trading and was some kind of a flooring expert and importer.

One of the most memorable threads on his website back then was people complaining about their brand new laminate floors. One of the funniest complaints that got a lot of attention was one ole gal that was complaining that the floors surface was so slick that her kids began to intentionally slide around all the time - playing.

Her main complaint was her kids were wearing-out their socks time and time again. It turns out the slick floor wasn't so slick after all in that the aluminum oxide would ruin a pair of socks in short order. She complained to the manufacturer insisting they should replace the ruined socks.

End of story. Can't remember that there was any positive outcome.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #3703
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
ANOTHER SIDE BAR:

About ten years ago when all this Internet forum stuff was still taking tiny baby steps one of the very first insightful (flooring) websites was offered by a guy in northern California by the name of Dave Spreen. Dave had to do with international trading and was some kind of a flooring expert and importer.

One of the most memorable threads on his website back then was people complaining about their brand new laminate floors. One of the funniest complaints that got a lot of attention was one ole gal that was complaining that the floors surface was so slick that her kids began to intentionally slide around all the time - playing.

Her main complaint was her kids were wearing-out their socks time and time again. It turns out the slick floor wasn't so slick after all in that the aluminum oxide would ruin a pair of socks in short order. She complained to the manufacturer insisting they should replace the ruined socks.

End of story. Can't remember that there was any positive outcome.
OMG....that's too funny!
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #3704
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,098
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
About three years ago, a neighbour across the bay from us put a laminate floor down in their cabin.

He also had the bright idea to run an overflow pipe from his outside 1500 gallon water tank to a 5 gallon bucket underneath their kitchen sink. I have absolutely no idea why he did that.

The inevitable happened. They left for the winter and forgot to disconnect the overflow pipe. All winter long water was being run into their cabin, and by the time they arrived back in the spring, they were greeted with a floor with waves big enough to surf on.

Since he's a low energy sort of guy, he just left it in place.

Can you imagine the warranty claim?

And how did this happen Sir?

Well, I was washing the floor - with 10,000 gallons of water, and it just all buckled up like this. I don't understand why at all...
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #3705
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,505
Default

Gulf Island Building.


If you remember the photo of the surveyor's cabin with that sloping addition on the roof....well, that's the same guy who washed his laminate floor all winter.

He actually has two cabins on his lot. The first one was built 12 feet wide - no wider - because that was the biggest size pre-fab wall he could get in his old fishboat at the time.

His "new" cabin, was a pre-cut kit which came all numbered. You just put the various numbers one atop the other, and presto, there was your basic cabin.

Only he left the wood outside for so long that all the numbers washed off and he couldn't figure out where anything went!

His first cabin is also collapsing slowly into the ground.

__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.