Gulf Island Building. - Project Showcase - Page 232 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #3466
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The window casing has been installed, and I have been fooling around with the sill to make something different.

The top trim will be painted before it is installed, just like the sill should have been. I'll take my time and do the first undercoat now.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-27-22.jpg   Gulf Island Building.-27-23.jpg  

Advertisement

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #3467
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,877
Rewards Points: 2,844
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
The window casing has been installed, and I have been fooling around with the sill to make something different.

The top trim will be painted before it is installed, just like the sill should have been. I'll take my time and do the first undercoat now.
That is really neat and different, I have never seen that done before but I like it. Hopefully you will show us some pictures when you have the finish on your windows.

I forgot about that huge leaf while ago, that has to be the biggest leaf I have ever seen on a tree in my life. Next year could you take a picture of the tree it came off of, I sure would love to see that.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #3468
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Jim, the tree in post 3442 is the one. Except that I zoomed in to the top of the tree so you could see some leaves, the bottom is about barren now. I'll try to get you a pic on the next sunny day.

We should have one of those by about next July.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:08 AM   #3469
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Coco's astronomy tip of the day (No. 18)

Get a few names under your belt...you're going to need them.

Whenever astro buffs get together, the talk always ends up referring to something in the night sky.

"Hey, did you see the latest pic of M51 that Rich took?" If you're an amateur astronomer, you know what that is.

But before you become conversant with the Messier objects, you should probably go after some of the constellations.

Winter will soon be upon us in the northern hemisphere, and everyone's favourite will soon be visible. Who doesn't like Orion? It's loaded with goodies and is a good signpost in the night sky. If Orion is high enough in the sky, his belt will direct you to Sirius, the brightest star. A line from Bellatrix through Betelgeuse will take you to Procyon...another moderately bright star. Following the belt in the opposite direction will lead you - more or less - to Aldebaran. Heading right out the middle of the top of Orion will lead you to Capella. This will be very nearly due overhead at night.

Get used to looking up and being able to immediately identify the big and little dippers, the W in Cassiopeia, Polaris - our north star which is at the end of the handle of the little dipper - the Pleiades, the Hyades, the great square of Pegasus, Cygnus the swan, often referred to as the northern cross, where the Andromeda galaxy is, the double cluster and so much more.

Any star chart will show you all this and a hundred times more. And we haven't mentioned the planets yet...
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #3470
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,877
Rewards Points: 2,844
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Coco's astronomy tip of the day (No. 18)

Get a few names under your belt...you're going to need them.

Whenever astro buffs get together, the talk always ends up referring to something in the night sky.

"Hey, did you see the latest pic of M51 that Rich took?" If you're an amateur astronomer, you know what that is.

But before you become conversant with the Messier objects, you should probably go after some of the constellations.

Winter will soon be upon us in the northern hemisphere, and everyone's favourite will soon be visible. Who doesn't like Orion? It's loaded with goodies and is a good signpost in the night sky. If Orion is high enough in the sky, his belt will direct you to Sirius, the brightest star. A line from Bellatrix through Betelgeuse will take you to Procyon...another moderately bright star. Following the belt in the opposite direction will lead you - more or less - to Aldebaran. Heading right out the middle of the top of Orion will lead you to Capella. This will be very nearly due overhead at night.

Get used to looking up and being able to immediately identify the big and little dippers, the W in Cassiopeia, Polaris - our north star which is at the end of the handle of the little dipper - the Pleiades, the Hyades, the great square of Pegasus, Cygnus the swan, often referred to as the northern cross, where the Andromeda galaxy is, the double cluster and so much more.

Any star chart will show you all this and a hundred times more. And we haven't mentioned the planets yet...
Good gravy, and all of this was off the top of your head, I will be tickled if I can learn a 10th of what you just said. This has got to be the most interesting subject I have undertaken in many years. I look forward to knowing and becoming familiar with the things you just said.

Every once in a while there will be programs about the stars and planets on the History and Science channels, I watch ever one I can find. Thanks for the tips Keith, they and you are much appreciated.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #3471
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The plan is for the warm air in the breakfast nook to come in by convection or fan power to the guest bedroom. It seems to work either way, the fan just speeds things up.

After the cedar was installed on that last wall, I cut a hole for the vent.

The missus wanted to go over to town and magically find something suitable (???) to use as a vent. Good waste of time and money that would have been.

I used a piece of cedar, drilled a handful of holes in it, and glued a piece of screen to the back side.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #3472
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Hmmm, well done...no pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-27-24.jpg  
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #3473
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


OK, that's better...sorry about that.

I stuck the screen on with ordinary wood glue, and used some paper between the glue and wood cauls to prevent any sticking.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-27-25.jpg  
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #3474
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


All done...and it matches the wall nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-27-26.jpg  
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #3475
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Gulf Island Building.


I have also made vents using the table saw.
Lower the blade, tilt it to about 45 deg, place the board, raise blade, move board forward, lower blade, move fence a little, repeat as needed.

Yours looks fine, too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #3476
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
I have also made vents using the table saw.
Lower the blade, tilt it to about 45 deg, place the board, raise blade, move board forward, lower blade, move fence a little, repeat as needed.

Yours looks fine, too.
Sounds like a good idea. What happens when you raise the blade? If it is at a 45 angle, won't it want to push the wood away as the blade rises?

How would you keep that from happening?

My blade tilts right, so as it rises, it would want to move the wood to the left.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #3477
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,877
Rewards Points: 2,844
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
All done...and it matches the wall nicely.
Buddy, that looks great, a perfect match. Keith, I made some vents like jl did with my table saw out of mahogany but it has been so long ago I don't remember how I did it, I do remember it was hard as the dickens to make exact though, I do remember that.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #3478
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,413
Rewards Points: 2,362
Default

Gulf Island Building.


What a deal! You saved time and money and ended up with something that looks nicer than you could have found in a store.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #3479
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


I got to thinking about that vent, and when we made the louvered doors for the boats (which is exactly what I should have done here...duh) we would make up the slats. Then make the door frames - usually quite small being on boats - The middle part of the frame had grooves cut in it at a 45 angle - just exactly like jl said.

The outer parts of the stiles were slightly wider than the center part so that it would contain the louvers. Slip the louvers into place, glue the back side of the stile on and that was it. We usually used to try to make up all the doors at the same time, so as not to have to make repeated setups.

I have no idea why I couldn't remember to do that today.

Perhaps when I get around to making the closet doors, I will remember that. That might be awhile, since there are no closets yet.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #3480
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


...another thought just occurred to me...it does happen sometimes...if someone wanted to make a set of louvered shutters for their home, they could make them for a tiny fraction of the price of something store bought.

And probably twice as nice as well.

Advertisement

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 02:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts