Gulf Island Building. - Project Showcase - Page 204 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #3046
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Robertson are the square ones. Canadian.
Attached Images
 

Advertisement

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
cocobolo (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #3047
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,852
Rewards Points: 2,800
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
Robertson are the square ones. Canadian.
Oh, OK, I do know what they are, I didn't know they were called that. I always called them square drive screws. I hate the SS screws like that unless screwing into soft wood. I really do appreciate you taking your time to show me the screw.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #3048
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Oh, OK, I do know what they are, I didn't know they were called that. I always called them square drive screws. I hate the SS screws like that unless screwing into soft wood. I really do appreciate you taking your time to show me the screw.
Everyone in the States calls them square drive screws Jim...but if they had been invented by an American instead of by a Canadian, they would no doubt have a different name.

Much like Phillips, only Robertson was the fellows name who came up with this one.

Stainless steel screws have a tendency to be soft, so you always need to pre-drill for them anyway.

From my way of thinking both Phillips and slot screws ought to be outlawed, the Robertson is 10 times better.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #3049
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,852
Rewards Points: 2,800
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


There ya go, I didn't know one of your fellow countrymen invented that screw. You are right, if some fellow here had invented it it would have been named something else.

Of the three screws my least favorite is the slotted screw, I hate that thing. One thing I see that may need be done on the screw tip for the Robertson is a little more temper, most square drive tips we get here are kinda soft and don't last long at all. Another thing I have noticed with screw tips is the phillips tip, most screw suppliers give with the screws, are the wrong size tips, they are usually too large. The best tips I have found that work for me are the sheet rock screw tips, they fit good and are tempered pretty good to last for a while.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #3050
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
There ya go, I didn't know one of your fellow countrymen invented that screw. You are right, if some fellow here had invented it it would have been named something else.

Of the three screws my least favorite is the slotted screw, I hate that thing. One thing I see that may need be done on the screw tip for the Robertson is a little more temper, most square drive tips we get here are kinda soft and don't last long at all. Another thing I have noticed with screw tips is the phillips tip, most screw suppliers give with the screws, are the wrong size tips, they are usually too large. The best tips I have found that work for me are the sheet rock screw tips, they fit good and are tempered pretty good to last for a while.
That's very true...I remember when I was in the boat building game, we used to buy the drywall screws by the box and use them to temporarily hold the cedar strips in place on the bigger boats. As soon as the glue was set, pull the screws and re-use them. Sometimes the epoxy would hold so well on the steel that it would snap the screws off. The trick was to pull the screws just as soon as the epoxy was set and not wait overnight.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #3051
Dorf dude...
 
shumakerscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grafenwoehr Germany
Posts: 1,760
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Ok you older guys, what about Torx screws? I have built my whole house with them, the more surface area on the inside to contact the bit the better. There is also an Assy screw here in Germany that is basically a Torx with even more surface area, like a Phillips is to a PZ. My impact driver kills PZ bits and screws. Torx rock in my book. dorf dude...
__________________
Today is only yesterdays tomorrow, Now get to work!

Last edited by shumakerscott; 10-12-2010 at 03:03 PM.
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #3052
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,466
Rewards Points: 2,580
Default

Gulf Island Building.


I think General Motors is credited with the inventuion of the "Torx" screws. They did it just to piss a guy off back in the '60's.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #3053
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lookout Valley, Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 7,852
Rewards Points: 2,800
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
Ok you older guys, what about Torx screws? I have built my whole house with them, the more surface area on the inside to contact the bit the better. There is also an Assy screw here in Germany that is basically a Torx with even more surface area, like a Phillips is to a PZ. My impact driver kills PZ bits and screws. Torx rock in my book. dorf dude...
I don't think I have ever seen a Torx wood screw, the only place I have seen them is in a car and machinery.

That is the truth Bud, back then no one had a Torx driver and it did make it hard to get them things out.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #3054
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


...and now they seem to still use them for things like headlight and taillight covers.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (10-12-2010)
Old 10-12-2010, 03:30 PM   #3055
Dorf dude...
 
shumakerscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grafenwoehr Germany
Posts: 1,760
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Lets see if this works...




Ecofast Wood Screw: Self-Countersinking ASSY-Screw.
Allows for faster driving while still providing a 40% stronger hold!
High quality case hardened construction strongly deters head damage.
The Patented AW Drive System combines all the advantages of Phillips, Square, Torx", & Pozi Drive Bits.
Best torque transfer due to the number of contact points. Easy to insert AND extract. Self-
Centering of the bit in the screw head allows accurate screw placement.
No Come Out Drive prevents damage to screw head, enables easier driving into tough materials.

It did!
__________________
Today is only yesterdays tomorrow, Now get to work!
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:37 PM   #3056
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


That looks like a dandy...I haven't seen them over here. I think I will ask Slegg's if they know of them since the House of Pot most likely wouldn't have a clue.

Do you know how the price compares to a conventional screw?
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #3057
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,466
Rewards Points: 2,580
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
House of Pot most likely wouldn't have a clue.
Taken out-of-context...that is hilarious.


I digress, just couldn't pass it up.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #3058
Dorf dude...
 
shumakerscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grafenwoehr Germany
Posts: 1,760
Rewards Points: 1,036
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
That looks like a dandy...I haven't seen them over here. I think I will ask Slegg's if they know of them since the House of Pot most likely wouldn't have a clue.

Do you know how the price compares to a conventional screw?
I'll let your inner psycic work on this one.....
__________________
Today is only yesterdays tomorrow, Now get to work!
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #3059
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,466
Rewards Points: 2,580
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Around here we have been using Torx wood screws for a long time...

EIGHT BUCKS A POUND!!!!!!!
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #3060
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,771
Rewards Points: 2,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Around here we have been using Torx wood screws for a long time...

EIGHT BUCKS A POUND!!!!!!!
Which means I can afford to buy two ounces worth!!!

Advertisement

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 02:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts