Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #2551
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Share |
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I knew you had been busy, it looks great Keith, really crisp, and squeaky clean looking, I like it.
Thanks very much Jim.

Well, the window is painted now. I found a hinge I can use to mount it.

Going to finish all the top grouting now and carry on with the rest of the top wood.

We have had ooooodles of rain over the past few days. Look how nicely it beads up on your table outside!
Attached Thumbnails
Gulf Island Building.-wet-table.jpg  

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #2552
Member
 
Handy Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 185
Default

Gulf Island Building.


By far the best project showcase on here. Congratulations to you, sir, and continued success.
Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #2553
Dorf dude...
 
shumakerscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grafenwoehr Germany
Posts: 1,733
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
By far the best project showcase on here. Congratulations to you, sir, and continued success.
I 2nd that dorf dude...
__________________
Today is only yesterdays tomorrow, Now get to work!
shumakerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #2554
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,162
Default

Gulf Island Building.


The ensuite is coming along nicely!

The dark grout with the dark tile looks super.

And the painted wood above looks perfect with the two colors of tile.

How many coats of varnish did you end up putting on Jim's table?

Barb
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #2555
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,231
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobolo View Post
Thanks very much Jim.

Well, the window is painted now. I found a hinge I can use to mount it.

Going to finish all the top grouting now and carry on with the rest of the top wood.

We have had ooooodles of rain over the past few days. Look how nicely it beads up on your table outside!
Oh my stars, it gets more beautiful every time I see it, I don't think that is rain, I think that is me drooling over it.

I'm glad ya'll are getting that much needed rain up your way, we need a little down this way also.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #2556
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 4,162
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Oh my stars, it gets more beautiful every time I see it, I don't think that is rain, I think that is me drooling over it.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #2557
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy Vinny View Post
By far the best project showcase on here. Congratulations to you, sir, and continued success.
Thank you kindly Vinny...welcome to the thread.

I have to respectfully say that Shu's home over in Germany is pretty darn impressive though. Look what he started with, and look what he's got now.

Pretty amazing when you think of all the work he's gone through to get there.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #2558
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by shumakerscott View Post
I 2nd that dorf dude...
Thanks Shu...that's very kind of you.

But you know what I think of your project, don't you?

IT'S DOWNRIGHT AWESOME!!!!
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #2559
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
The ensuite is coming along nicely!

The dark grout with the dark tile looks super.

And the painted wood above looks perfect with the two colors of tile.

How many coats of varnish did you end up putting on Jim's table?

Barb
Jim's table got a full 7 coats of varnish after the wood was sealed.

So look at it like this...under the 7 coats there were 3 or 4 coats which didn't necessarily succeed in giving 100% coverage.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #2560
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
Oh my stars, it gets more beautiful every time I see it, I don't think that is rain, I think that is me drooling over it.

I'm glad ya'll are getting that much needed rain up your way, we need a little down this way also.
I think we've had about enough rain for awhile. But the forecast has either rain or showers for 13 out of the next 15 days.

It's either feast or famine, isn't it?
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #2561
Member
 
jlhaslip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canadian Rockies
Posts: 1,280
Default

Gulf Island Building.


It took 7 coats of Varnish to get it done right???


j/k... looks great.

Yes, those are the Purcell mountains in that picture. I'll take another one on a clear day that will show some of the vertical. The property is on the western-most West facing slope of the Rocky Mountains. There is a river about 200 yards downhill that divides the two ranges.

Nice place to spend some time in a hammock...except in winter, of course.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Go ahead and apply for a variance, those guys at City Hall can use a good laugh.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-13-2010)
Old 09-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #2562
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
It took 7 coats of Varnish to get it done right???


j/k... looks great.

Yes, those are the Purcell mountains in that picture. I'll take another one on a clear day that will show some of the vertical. The property is on the western-most West facing slope of the Rocky Mountains. There is a river about 200 yards downhill that divides the two ranges.

Nice place to spend some time in a hammock...except in winter, of course.
Can't you use the hammock as a toboggan when it freezes solid?
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #2563
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 1,736
Default

Gulf Island Building.


That is a snazzy looking table no doubt. My 19 year-old son is just getting started in woodworking. He's expressed interest in making tables out of tree trunks. He's got a lot to learn though.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #2564
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 7,231
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
It took 7 coats of Varnish to get it done right???


j/k... looks great.

Yes, those are the Purcell mountains in that picture. I'll take another one on a clear day that will show some of the vertical. The property is on the western-most West facing slope of the Rocky Mountains. There is a river about 200 yards downhill that divides the two ranges.

Nice place to spend some time in a hammock...except in winter, of course.
jl, we are looking forward to your pictures.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #2565
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulf Islands, B.C., Canada
Posts: 6,590
Default

Gulf Island Building.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
That is a snazzy looking table no doubt. My 19 year-old son is just getting started in woodworking. He's expressed interest in making tables out of tree trunks. He's got a lot to learn though.
Jim...please be sure to pass along my "good luck" wishes to your son. If there is ever anything I might be able to assist him with - information wise - by all means feel free to ask.

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocobolo For This Useful Post:
Jim F (09-15-2010)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
glue down hardwood flooring along gulf coast sbmcclean@sbcglobal.net Flooring 6 12-21-2008 01:55 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.