DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

German House

7K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bootz 
#1 ·
Here is going to be my new house in a couple of weeks. I put a description under the "introduce your self" It is going to be a ton of work but after a divorce it will help me keep busy. I thought you might be interested in the old way of building.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Not sure where Grafenwoehr is in Germany, but in 06 we were in Poppendorf and it was such a neat little town. Like Bob Masters said, the houses over there are designed to last 100 years if not longer. In the "need it now" mentality of the US, people would rather buy a 100 year old house and tear it down to build a new house.

In Poppendorf the people we visited had a house that they built with the help of the town, and it was next to their folks house, whose house was in turn next to their folks house, but since they'd passed on it was given to another relative.

They had a fantastic pub there too! We might have had our fill of bier! :)

Tschuss

Eric

*EDIT* Just checked a map, we were pretty close to you in Poppendorf Heroldsbach. Kinda cool.

#4 · (Edited)
The Gasthouse is 100ft to the right. This place is over 100 years from what I understand. It was the local sheperds place. Next to it on the left was the mill. The mill stream still runs directly behind it. See picture, my place has the solar panels on the roof.

Heroldsbach is about an hour drive from here. Small world isn't it.

Attachments

#7 ·
I'm moving forward with the bank. They want official estimates for the remodeling. This is going to some work! I hate paper work. Put a Makita cordless drill in my hand any time. I will post updates as things come along. I can't wait to start working.

#9 ·
You lucky dog.

I know exactly where you are. I spent MANY long days at Graf during my yrs stationed in Germany. Not to mention Hohenfelds too. My wife is always saying how much better they build homes in Germany. When we first moved to the US she couldn't believe that we build it stick style. I'd love to live over there and be able to afford property. But I'd live further north.... near Hamburg or Flensburg. Have fun, and I'll be checking in from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.