Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Garage cabinets

Thought I'd post my recent cabinet project here just for the heck of it. I really enjoy doing this kind of work. I'm looking forward to doing more. I've got to make room for a table saw, band saw and lathe.

I've been getting my workshop area going in the garage. Getting organized etc. I considered just putting up some shelves over the workbench, but decided on cabinets. I felt like doing some woodwork. What I wanted to store was a lot boxes of fasteners and small items, parts etc., etc. So I decided on shallow cabinets.
I looked over a few ideas and plans online. And I needed to watch a couple videos on how to make the cabinet doors, having never done it. I settled on the rough design seen above.

I thought I would use plywood however, when I saw the prices of plywood vs #2 white pine - I went with pine. Would have been a lot more with plywood plus then I'd of had to do a whole lot more ripping of the large 4x8 sheets - which is not easy enough to do yet without a full size table saw.
The box and shelves are all 1x8 #2 white pine. The cabinet face is 1x3 poplar, they didn't have 1x3 in pine at Home Depot.

Complete project details here: http://mike.makuch.org/photo/album/i...arageCabinets/

Comments and suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage cabinets-zbeforeandafter.jpg  

Last edited by koodawg; 12-22-2010 at 05:56 PM.
koodawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 514

Garage cabinets

Looks really nice, and well documented! I would love to try cabinet-building one day when I get through the million projects I already have planned.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Garage cabinets

Nice job. I have a Sears RAS of similar vintage that I've had since new. Only word of advice I can offer is to not to use it to rip with, just use it to crosscut.

Your cabinet project is something I want to do at some point. I have a 10 inch Sears table saw of similar vintage. Just bought a new Vega fence to replace the original equipment fence and man-o-man what a difference that has made in repeatibility and ease of use.

For cutting large sheets of plywood I use my skill saw and a wide clamp I purchased from Rockler. I'm uploading an image of the clamp now.

It's not easy to get all the dadoes straight so the final product comes out like it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Garage cabinets-aio-clamp_2.jpg  
SeeDBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Garage cabinets

2 thumbs up! I like the idea for temporarily hanging the cabinits using nail and clamp. Never thought of that.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote