First Home, 1929 Bungalow - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

First Home, 1929 Bungalow

So I'm a few days from closing on my first house. I'm 24 with no home improvement experience. I'd like to learn as much as possible on my own without having to pay big bucks (doesn't everyone?)

The house is a 1929 Brick Bungalow, 1150 sq in a very urban midwest town. It has plaster walls and a 6' (short!) concrete block basement.

Its in good shape, no significant plaster damage or water issues. The rear landscaping and garage could use love. Most of the issues are modernizing. still has the two prong outlet deal going but has circuit breakers.

Not sure what project should be first, I plan on keeping up with progress on here like several people do. Girlfriends parents gave me their old hot tub for free. I feel like that might be the first project. Got to relax right?

Heres some pics, ignore all the stuff its the sellers:

Front obviously

rear patio with sad looking driveway gate

rear patio and detached garage. Flower box there is gonna go

main entry

main room

only bath

the sellers cluttered stuff

Anything Eye popping yet?

Advertisement

Last edited by nhoc6131; 06-26-2011 at 05:25 PM. Reason: pic
nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Sun room addition on a slab with no hvac or outlets. not sure what im going to do with this

Advertisement

Last edited by nhoc6131; 06-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.
nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Ideally you want to make over the parts of the house that you know you're going to be using the most, and then those that need the most work. The kitchen and bathroom look in decent nick from the photos, so I presume you can leave those for a while?

I'd start with the living room; it looks very cold and dreary at the moment. And the master bedroom (though you haven't posted a pic so don't actually know if it needs any work). Then the garden, especially if you're going to have a hot tub out there (lucky you, I would love a hot tub!).
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

For the sun room, why don't you make it an additional living/entertaining space? Put some nice sofas and a table in there, and perhaps a bar?! But no TV, so the room is purely for either quiet or entertaining time.
amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote