Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

First Attempt to Re-Purpose Furniture.

This project is not as large as most featured on this site but it is something I am pretty proud of. My wife and I are growing tired of our mis-matched furniture and want a more grown up feel but like most people we are on a budget so we are having to improvise, Craigslist is my friend .

My mother-in-law gave us an electric fireplace with a mantle a couple of years ago, we love the fireplace but the mantle looked really out of place in our living room. We also had a bookcase from Ikea that we were using for a tv/media stand that also didn't look right. I wanted to put the fireplace insert into a stand that would also house my media stuff and the tv could sit on. To buy one of these already done is quite expensive so I started browsing Craigslist for a real wood long dresser that had the room in the middle for the fireplace and could also have shelves on either side.

This is what I found (it came with the matching mirror) I picked it up for $40 and so the project began.

I then set about removing the sliding doors (going to turn one into a serving tray) and all the drawers (going to use them as hanging bookcase/shelves in my boys playroom. I then used 1/2" MDF to make the shelves and put the fireplace insert in the middle. The magnets you can see surrounding the fireplace insert are to hold the trim pieces on, I wanted to make sure the insert was still removable in case the light bulb burns out.

Then I went the HD and picked up some flat MDF trim to trim out the fireplace. I don't have a table saw and my skills with a circular saw leave a lot to be desired or I would have made my own trim pieces. Also as you can see wood filler was my friend

Then after consulting a few blogs on how to re-paint furniture I set about sanding, priming, painting, and top coating the piece.

And after many long hours in the garage over the last week here is the end result and just in time for my wifes birthday.

This is my first attempt at anything like this and I think it turned out fairly well. The grand total for the dresser and all supplies was right around $150.00, which I figure is pretty good considering it is a solid wood piece of furniture that should last us a long time. I learned alot and there are a few things I will do differently when we find some more pieces to re-paint (side table, sofa table, armoire). It will be really nice when all the furniture is done and matching.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I have been browsing this site for a couple of years and this is the first thing I have done that I thought was worth posting.

bcboy4ca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcboy4ca For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (10-02-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #2

Looks great!

housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Thank you
Old 09-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Randy in Kenyon

Very nice indeed! Good job!!!
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #5

Nice! So much better that that particle board they make everything out of these days.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

good job. those legs make it look retro with a modern look...if that makes sense lol.
ToroBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #7

Looks awesome!!!

Did you have to put any insulating casing around the fire? How hot does it get?

Cheers
Wandererone
Wandererone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Toro you almost got it, the style is retro-modern. "Modern," capital M, was a style that started in the 60's. Those legs are definitely "Modern" The original paint job is... well, besides bein as ugly as Jesse's mule, I don't know what it is. Some kind of attempt to make the Modern seem old?
bc's paint job is modern, small m, Modern wasn't usually painted and rarely white. So we got new modern looks combined with old Modern looks. Retro-Modern. Its like Electro-Swing music.

Congrats to you, bc, for seeing the modern lines under that Modern curved trim and beezarr paint job. Your work looks great. Its so clean and crisp its almost retro-futuristic. What folks pre '60's thought now would look like. The future that never was.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandererone View Post
Looks awesome!!!

Did you have to put any insulating casing around the fire? How hot does it get?

Cheers
Wandererone

I didn't add anything around the fireplace insert, there is just a large gap all the way around. We never use the fireplace as a heater, we just turn it on for the ambiance of a fireplace so the only thing running is a 15 watt light bulb. Doesn't get hot at all.

I may have had to do it differently if we were using it as a 1500w heater though.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
Toro you almost got it, the style is retro-modern. "Modern," capital M, was a style that started in the 60's. Those legs are definitely "Modern" The original paint job is... well, besides bein as ugly as Jesse's mule, I don't know what it is. Some kind of attempt to make the Modern seem old?
bc's paint job is modern, small m, Modern wasn't usually painted and rarely white. So we got new modern looks combined with old Modern looks. Retro-Modern. Its like Electro-Swing music.

Congrats to you, bc, for seeing the modern lines under that Modern curved trim and beezarr paint job. Your work looks great. Its so clean and crisp its almost retro-futuristic. What folks pre '60's thought now would look like. The future that never was.
Thank you, I didn't know what era it was from but I really liked the clean lines and being crisp and straight already it was alot easier to convert over. I am now on the hunt for a sofa table/sideboard with similar lines to paint to match. I like the retro-modern tag, I think I will use it if anybody asks.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #11

Nice job! It looks great.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote