Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |

Fireplace Surround Remodel

We had our basement finished out by a contractor a couple years ago and there used to be an electric glow fireplace in this hole in the wall. Well, that electrice fireplace is now gone and I wanted to do something with the hole. Here are some pics. Before there was just plywood on the inside. I decided to do a slate surround, paint the inside black, lay slate on the inside bottom, and finally build a mantle with slate on top. Hope you guys like!

baksdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:07 AM   #2
Beer Advocate

I like it, it looks very clean and something that would fit my taste in decor! Question though, is it still a functioning fireplace of somesort? Seems like a great candidate for a direct vent gas one!
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:30 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Personaly not my taste in style.

But, I think you did an awsome job!
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the compliments! It is not a functional fireplace as it is right now. Believe it or not, behind all that, a real fireplace resides. The bump out you see from the wall going all the way up to the ceiling is a functional chimney. I know most of you are probably thinking, why cover up a functional one?? Well, at the time, it was cheaper for the contractor since it is a basement and it was never finished.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
Beer Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baksdak View Post
Thanks for the compliments! It is not a functional fireplace as it is right now. Believe it or not, behind all that, a real fireplace resides. The bump out you see from the wall going all the way up to the ceiling is a functional chimney. I know most of you are probably thinking, why cover up a functional one?? Well, at the time, it was cheaper for the contractor since it is a basement and it was never finished.

After I posted that I re-looked at the picture and noticed the flu area. How hard would it be for you to make it functional again? Or is that even something your considering. I guess you can tell by now I love fireplaces... lol
Taipans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #6

Haha, well it the toughest part of making it functional would be finishing it out the way I would want. All the workings are there behind that wall. However, I dont have any plans to make it functional...just wouldnt use it even if it was.