DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Downstairs renovation: Study/sitting room

18K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Nathan 
#1 ·
As per my introduction thread, I will post some pictures of the room we renovated in August/Sept.

Six weeks ago, I decided to tackle the largest room in my 1948 Cape. The walls were covered with ugly, textured, floral paneling and I wasn't sure if it would be less labor intensive to tear everything down or skim coat the paneling.

My father came down to consult, help, and act as general contractor. Over several weekends and one long stretch that consumed most of my summer vacation, we pulled down the paneling, cut it up with a circular saw and threw it out with the trash, removed all window and door casings and floorboards, scraped decades of painted-over wallpaper, repaired and resurfaced the walls, insulated the windows, primed and replaced the casings (but had to shim them because of the paneling that was no longer there), installed crown moldings, and primed and painted all the wood trim and the walls and ceiling. We also replaced two hideous, mirrored bi-fold closet doors with louvered doors. One we use as a closet and the other as our home office.
*All pictures saved as thumbnails for those on dial-up. Click to enlarge*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.