Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics

This will be a thread about making changes through and around my home. I welcome, appreciate, and desire, ALL input, suggestions regarding anything, particularly design and construction method ideas, I am working on, or otherwise anything that you see in house pics that you would change, particularly outdoors. Keep in mind, I am NO expert. All projects from this thread are a diary of all the DIY projects I have ever completed or am working on .

I live in an area with many high-end homes, and while I'm not looking to expand mine to massive size (it's already around 3500 sq ft.), I would like it to be nicely finished, contemporary, and to have some good curb-appeal. Low maintenance, cost, and "green" issues, are on my mind. But first and foremost is to build equity through projects that will have a LARGE % RETURN ON DOLLAR INVESTMENT. I can deal with my own sweat labor. I will post photos of all projects. I hope this can become an educational thread as well for those looking to make changes all around and inside their homes.

Stay tuned, I will be adding pics in next several minutes...

p.s. I know this could be located in remodeling though I have put it here. If y'all think that's wrong I will move... thanks.

p.s.s. Please subscribe to thread to follow!

Last edited by 99altrade; 08-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
99altrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:50 AM   #2

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I might even use some
Of your ideas!
Broughton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Broughton For This Useful Post:
99altrade (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Here is my full thread on my project with more pics and process:
Proper Way to Attach Travertine to Brick...

Total DIY Cost: < $125.00

Follow-up: Future related project is to replace hearth slate with Black Galaxy Granite 18"x18" tiles, already purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-fireplace-b4.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-fireplace-after.jpg  
Old 08-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #4

Sounds like a nice home already. Large , in a good area. I'll Follow your efforts. Ken
jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jankencanada For This Useful Post:
99altrade (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

New Projects

I have 3 current projects going on:

1) Half-bath - Complete remodel of a powder room (half-bath). This is currently gutted to studs, readying rebuild. Pics to come...

2) Concrete porch expansion overlay (to expand existing porch). Already laid the concrete for porch via ready-mix, 4k psi with rebar, remesh, and fiber (yes, over-engineered). This will be covered in pavers, dry-set in sand, secured by wet-set 2"x6" bluestone tread capping. Pics to come...

3) Thin-stone veneered block/CMU wall - Related to porch: (CMU) Mortared concrete block L-shaped wall surround porch, set about 1-2' out from porch, veneered by MSI Stone Sierra Blue 6"x24" Ledger Panels, and capped by 2"x12" bluestone tread capping. This will end up flush height with porch. Pics to come...
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #6

Concrete Porch Expansion - Completed

Porch raised up by 3" and extended out front a couple of feet to make porch area more usable.

See full project setup here:
Adding to Concrete Porch + Steps?

Cost: Approx $5-600.00 (base rock, ready-mix concrete, rebar/remesh, bonding agent, wood for forming).

Next steps: Cover with sand-set charcoal pavers.

p.s. Big hole around porch is prep-work for the CMU stone-veneered wall project.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-porch-before.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-018-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by 99altrade; 08-01-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #7

I will post CMU wall project pics tonight, but for an advance look at the project/pics (page 2 to see the pics of where I'm up to):

Cement Block Wall Footing
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #8

Input please: Would this thread see the most attention and be best here, or on Project Showcase category (I'm more looking for advice and input than just to "showcase" my work)?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade
Input please: Would this thread see the most attention and be best here, or on Project Showcase category (I'm more looking for advice and input than just to "showcase" my work)?

Thanks.
If you are looking for advice you are better off asking VERY specific questions in the relevant sections of the forum.
99altrade (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
If you are looking for advice you are better off asking VERY specific questions in the relevant sections of the forum.
Thanks - I will prob do both . Keep it more succinct and to the point here with detailed specifics threads like you suggest...

Though still welcome any input!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #11

Some Current Pics of Front Exterior

Welcome any suggestions or ideas . Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-038-medium-.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-040-medium-.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-041-medium-.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-051-medium-.jpg   DIY Transformation - Recovering Equity Through Sweat :) - B&A Pics-august2011-053-medium-.jpg  

Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #12

My only thought is the brick bit needs some color; house seems a bit monochromatic to me (for what that is worth).
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

Bob,

Thanks for the input! We started to powerwash the white paint with the idea of exposing the brick, though have decided to stop, and reprime/paint the areas, and revisit after we finish the whole porch/wall and half-bath projects - otherwise we'll have 10 half finished projects. For the brick, I had been thinking to do a half-wall deal with stone veneer along bottom half, matching the veneered wall I'm making around the porch, and paint/stucco/siding along top half. I am hoping to reside the house with "Certainteed Cedar Impressions Double 7" Straight Edge Perfection" siding in pacific blue or granite grey.

Another project coming up: Veneering / refinishing foundation. I wanted to either veneer the foundation around the house with stone, or restucco it with stucco or surface bonding cement, or maybe a combo. The foundation is currently covered in an old white stucco broom finish, painted white.

I see all these projects together giving the house a nice finished look, but doing them myself means they can't all be done at once , and so my neighbors probably don't love all the mess as I'm doing one project at a time, and they each take time as I'm working as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
My only thought is the brick bit needs some color; house seems a bit monochromatic to me (for what that is worth).
Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
I was wondering how it would look with the paint removed and the brick cleaned and tuck-pointed.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Work Hard, Play Harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99altrade View Post
Bob,
I see all these projects together giving the house a nice finished look, but doing them myself means they can't all be done at once , and so my neighbors probably don't love all the mess as I'm doing one project at a time, and they each take time as I'm working as well.
I'm finding in my situation that just keeping my neighbors updated helps a lot. My back yard is an absolute disaster right now; because I didn't finish a project and two different road trips came up. They know it will be torn up until NEXT fall.

Two of my neighbors are actually having work done now because "It's a good time for it".
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block, concrete, hardscape, landscape