DIY Custom Closets - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 45

DIY custom closets

Well, the painters have nearly finished up the house so I took a few days and built out most of the closets in the house. They are not completely done yet as I still have to install the rods in a few and also build out two more yet. Anyways, I have been planning the two in the master bedroom for months. Once it was all framed out I finalized(well, almost, things changed a little lol) the plans and took some time and installed backing in the master closets and my daughters room.

A little bit about the construction details. I used all melamine boards, mostly 11 3/4" deep by 3/4" thick. A few are 16" deep though, mainly on the very top shelves. This was my first trip into using pocket screws and it was a revelation. Ill be doing much more with this in the future. I built all of the main components stand alone and then installed them onto the wall. Then I added other shelves after. I also caulked everything you can easily see when I was finished painting the shelf ledges and any trim work. It really cleaned things up. I know you wont see any of it once its all filled with clothes but I am a stickler for details. The entire project probably cost around $500-600. Now, on to the pictures!

This is my wife's closet, the bigger of the two. It has two weird corners in it so it made for an interesting process for the built ins. This is faching South standing in the doorway:

This is the South wall on the right and the East wall on the left. This was the biggest of the angled walls. I built this corner unit very first then built everything else off of that. We bought the dresser from Ikea for like $30 and I painted them white(came raw pine) and then changed out the pulls. For socks and underwear:

This is facing North with the entrance door on the right. I built this unit for her shoes:

West wall. I did this one small section for long dresses, which she currently has maybe one. And she is short so that is why its not too wide:

This is my closet facing South. Again, using the same Ikea dresser. I will soon install double rods for hanging on the right side:

Advertisement

jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

DIY custom closets

This is a small built in for the closet in the bathroom. Its hard to tell in the picture but the wall on the right is also angled so I opted to just put a hook or two in there in the near future for robes. This is different material, 5/8" thick and cheaper than the other stuff:

This is the linen closet. Just went simple for this one:

And last, for now, is my daughters closet. This is a standard width but almost twice as deep, approx 80" x 45". I had some small scrap cut offs so I bought two a little more material to make this small built in when you first walk in. Then a top shelf all the way around. I still have to install the double rods for hanging in here on the shorter walls as well:

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #3

DIY custom closets

Finished hanging the rods and every little last detail. Also built my little network closet. I'll make a different thread for that though.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,778

DIY custom closets

Nice job! And thanks for posting the pictures. I'm getting ready to add shelving to a couple of new closets and you gave me a few ideas.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 660

DIY custom closets

Nice job, it's so nice to have so much space to help keep
things organized.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #6

DIY custom closets

Thanks, guys!!
Old 02-24-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 24

DIY custom closets

Hi jegolopolli,

Nice job!

Most of the pieces seem to be resting on the floor but there are two sections seem to be hung on the wall:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...psb3124c5f.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps67dedb10.jpg

I'm trying to do the same. Can you share the details of how these two units are constructed? You mentioned you was using Melamine board with pocket screws, what did you do to make the unit strong enough to be hung on the wall? Did you cover the back to provide strength? Are all the shelves fixed or you put peg holes to make some shelves adjustable? I was thinking about Melamine with confirmat screws at one point but I worried it may not hold. So, I opt to use plywood. If I could get by with Melamine, it will save me a ton of time on finishes. Here is what I was thinking to do, any pointers will be well appreciated.

Is this shelving unit strong enough to be hung?
fkl250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

DIY custom closets

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkl250 View Post
Hi jegolopolli,

Nice job!

Most of the pieces seem to be resting on the floor but there are two sections seem to be hung on the wall:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...psb3124c5f.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps67dedb10.jpg

I'm trying to do the same. Can you share the details of how these two units are constructed? You mentioned you was using Melamine board with pocket screws, what did you do to make the unit strong enough to be hung on the wall? Did you cover the back to provide strength? Are all the shelves fixed or you put peg holes to make some shelves adjustable? I was thinking about Melamine with confirmat screws at one point but I worried it may not hold. So, I opt to use plywood. If I could get by with Melamine, it will save me a ton of time on finishes. Here is what I was thinking to do, any pointers will be well appreciated.

Is this shelving unit strong enough to be hung?

Thanks! I had the advantage of new construction so I installed backing between the studs before the drywall even went up. For the pocket screws I just used 3" coarse thread screws with two screws at each point.

The picture of the tan one you posted I don't have backing because I didn't know what i was going to do. So for that I installed a ledger board first, you can see it on the top and you can also see how the screws are not centered. That's because that's where the studs were located. Then I used toggle bolts on the sides.

I'll get some pictures of the pocket screws and how they are supporting the units tomorrow.

Btw, they are plenty strong without any support on the backsides like 1/4 ply or something. Pretty heavy too.

Advertisement