Dining Room Wainscot Project - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dining Room Wainscot Project

As one of the first undertakings in my new house, I ripped out the old pink wallpaper and chair rail and decided to make my own wainscot for the dining room. I went with a simple design, with off the shelf moldings and got it complete in a wee working only late nights. This is my first real attempt at this type of project, so it is far from perfect. I still have some work to complete it at the door to the kitchen and the living room.

Enjoy the Photos and comments are always welcome. Sorry for the lack of before, but it was a plain room with pink wallpaper and a country looking wood chair rail.

After paint, I began with the outline of the wainscot. Just a simple cut down sheet of ply, biscuited together and nailed.

Next was to cut and install the chair rail and picture frames within the plywood borders.

Next up came base moulding and the door/window trim.

Then the finished project. When I said finished I mean for the time being.

Advertisement

25thmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

The room has been this way for some time now. I still have to cut the red paint into the crown moulding, chair rail and door/window frames.

I have to trim out at the doorways leading to the kitchen and living room. I should have done this with an actual door frame, but at this point going back is not an option. I'm going to try and get away with finishing it off as simply and cleanly as possible. If anyone has suggestions let me know. I can take and upload photos at any time.

I also have a plan to tie the living room standard base moulding into the dining room, by stacking standard base on top of the larger base in the room. Has anyone done this? Would this be too much, or just right? I think it would look good, and allow me to run it through the living room, to create a finished and seamless look. Almost as if it was the plan all along.

Once again, comments, tips and suggestions are appreciated with regards to any and all of it.

Brian

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Custom User Title

Rewards Points: 252

Looks great! I think if it were me, I'd change out the outlets and covers for some white ones.
no1hustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Looks perfect, great work! It makes me want to tear-out the picture frame wainscot I did in the foyer, and do a rail & stile like you did. Did you have to fill/sand any of the joints between the rails and stiles to make them blend correctly?

I agree about changing the outlets. The off-white seem a little old/dingy against the bright white wainscot.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5

hyunelan, I actually was reading your threads and loved what you did. Very impressive work.

With regards to the stiles and rails, this is one of the benefits to photography. In person you can see some of the seams. I rushed this part of the job (had to be done for the housewarming, and was dealing with very limited time) and in the end it bothers me. I plan to go back, hit them with the sander and then refill. I honestly hadn't put much thought into the outlets, but now that you mention it, they do stick out. I have in the past tried painting outlets with the same paint I did the trim in. It looked "alright" but of course there were brush strokes etc. I might just pick up some new, clean pieces and be done with it.

I should be doing more painting, and trim work tonight. Got into the mood again, and almost finished my main floor bathroom work. Off to the large living room and beyond.

Brian
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,342

Very nice work! I've been wanting to do something like this in my house for some time, but have been putting it off.

How high is the top rail from the floor?

Barb
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #7

Wow, that came out great
And only plywood as filler
I assume it must have been sanded plywood/fishiness side ?
For a 1st time project that came out great
BGGRNTXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,814

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Very nice work! I've been wanting to do something like this in my house for some time, but have been putting it off.

How high is the top rail from the floor?

Barb
Barb, back when I was in business I put the chair rail at 32 inches to the top of the rail, off the finished floor.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #9

Brian,

I have some questions I was wondering if you could answer for me?

Advertisement

Scott1106 is offline   Reply With Quote