Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to getzjd Send a message via AIM to getzjd Send a message via MSN to getzjd Send a message via Yahoo to getzjd
Share |

Deck and Pergola

Took me 2.5 summers, but I did all the work by myself. I lurked through these forums for quite some time. Finished specs are roughly 1190 sq ft. Trex (yes I know... bad move) , 2x12 beams, 2x12 joists, 6x6 posts. Thank you all!

Pergola and Deck by getzjd, on Flickr

This is before I added the pergola this year

IMG_3422 by getzjd, on Flickr

Last edited by getzjd; 06-17-2011 at 04:24 PM.
getzjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to getzjd For This Useful Post:
shumakerscott (06-19-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 PM   #2

Deck and Pergola

Looks really nice!

Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

Deck and Pergola

Nice work!
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #4

Deck and Pergola

That is a beautiful deck man, I'm very impressed. Hope your family can enjoy it for a long time!
btyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to getzjd Send a message via AIM to getzjd Send a message via MSN to getzjd Send a message via Yahoo to getzjd

Deck and Pergola

Thank you! If it wasn't for those on this forum and a few others, I would have never been able to do it and do it right.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #6

Deck and Pergola

Did you use real wood or composite wood? Wife and I are debating which we should go for.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Deck and Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinggus View Post
Did you use real wood or composite wood? Wife and I are debating which we should go for.
As I mentioned, I used Trex. I figured that having full sun all day and no trees, I would be mostly immune to some of the mold/mildew that was reported with Trex. I was wrong. Not that it looks bad, but just not as good as expected. If I had to do it over again, I would likely use Ipe. Depending on where you live, it may be about the same price or slightly cheaper than composites. My advice, go to google, type in Ipe Deck, look at pictures and read about the wood. Do the same for composites and make your decision.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #8

Deck and Pergola

Thanks, sorry didn't know what Trex decking was. I live in NC, so I'll do some research on what to use. Trex decking looks amazing so far.

Last edited by Dinggus; 06-23-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:10 AM   #9

Deck and Pergola

Quote:
Thanks, sorry didn't know what Trex decking was. I live in NC, so I'll do some research on what to use. Trex decking looks amazing so far.

I agree, some of it does look good, however, keep in mind that it will fade from the original color as it was installed. The good news is that companies are starting to make stain for Trex. I believe Behr created teh Trex colors such as saddle, etc.

The more Ipe decks I see, the more I wish I would have gone that route. Eh well, unless I win the lottery, the Trex will stay.

Regardless, reasearch and read. Even different types of Trex have different results.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #10

Deck and Pergola

Oh, wife had the impression it doesn't fade. I'm looking at the difference it would cost in pressure treated wood, and composite. I sure would like to go the real wood route, cheaper.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #11

Deck and Pergola

Quote:
Oh, wife had the impression it doesn't fade. I'm looking at the difference it would cost in pressure treated wood, and composite. I sure would like to go the real wood route, cheaper.
PT wood is definitely cheaper, but it will need cleaning and refinishing every few years. If you have small children, keep in mind that regular PT wood will splinter while ipe is splinter resistant.

Post some pictures of your project as you work on it. I am sure I speak for most on here in saying that we like to see the work others are doing.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #12

Deck and Pergola

awesome- that looks like a big project
scotzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #13

Deck and Pergola

Wow! That's incredible. Really beautiful work.
DIY_Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
Jack of all - master none

Deck and Pergola

Quote:
Calculate in the money -and especially time- it will take to clean, sand, and stain the deck as needed. If it's a huge deck, you could lose a few weekends every summer just trying to keep up with the weathering. What some people do to cut composite costs is build a wood deck, and only use composite on the decking (floor), as the horizontal surfaces are the ones that fade the fastest.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #15

Deck and Pergola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2 View Post
Calculate in the money -and especially time- it will take to clean, sand, and stain the deck as needed. If it's a huge deck, you could lose a few weekends every summer just trying to keep up with the weathering. What some people do to cut composite costs is build a wood deck, and only use composite on the decking (floor), as the horizontal surfaces are the ones that fade the fastest.
That's a good idea as well. Wife and I were looking at Ipe, which was recommended to us, and we like that it turns a nice silver color if you don't stain the deck.

And it seems to only be $2 more than pressure treated wood.