Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM   #16
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Share |
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by CK4500 View Post
I was also going to run the membrane side to side, rather than up and down. The will eliminate the need to use inside corners going up the walls.

That's how I did the bottom row in this shower:


Upper row has the niche and wasn't worth trying to wrap it.
Word of advice, if you wrap it, MAKE SURE YOU TUCK THE CORNERS NICE AND TIGHT! If you don't, you'll create a curved radius and tiling will be hard.

__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 4
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
That's how I did the bottom row in this shower:


Upper row has the niche and wasn't worth trying to wrap it.
Word of advice, if you wrap it, MAKE SURE YOU TUCK THE CORNERS NICE AND TIGHT! If you don't, you'll create a curved radius and tiling will be hard.
Do you have any photos of the finished product? Looks like it would be a nice shower! I also have two niches in my project. I was thinking about building out the base of them, like in your photo, but how did you finish the tile on that??

Thanks!
CK4500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #18
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Finished photos coming soon. The custom shower glass was delayed by 2 weeks so I haven't gotten a chance to get back there to take final photos yet. I'll post them when I do.
__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Member
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 825
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


is that drywall on the ceiling? i wonder about moisture/mold above your shower.
Knucklez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #20
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
is that drywall on the ceiling? i wonder about moisture/mold above your shower.
Are you referring to me?
__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #21
Member
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 825
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


oh sorry, i was referring to the picture above with the orange walls.
Knucklez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #22
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
oh sorry, i was referring to the picture above with the orange walls.
Yes, I did that remodel. All of the drywall used in this project was DensArmor. We upgraded the ventilation fan to one that actually fits the room. All shower tile work was over Kerdi/Ditra. This room is about as mold/water resistant as you can get.
__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #23
Member
 
Knucklez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 825
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


agreed, great job!

did you slope the cubby a bit so that any water that gets into your recessed wall area will drip out?

ps. i'm not intentionally nit-picking your work, i am just asking questions about it because your shower is EXACTLY how i want to do my shower in the basement in a year from now.
Knucklez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 PM   #24
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by CK4500 View Post
Do you have any photos of the finished product? Looks like it would be a nice shower! I also have two niches in my project. I was thinking about building out the base of them, like in your photo, but how did you finish the tile on that??

Thanks!
I have updated my album with the final pics from this project. You can see what I did with the niche base.
__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 PM   #25
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy
 
angus242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 887
Default

Custom Shower Project - need advice


Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklez View Post
agreed, great job!

did you slope the cubby a bit so that any water that gets into your recessed wall area will drip out?

ps. i'm not intentionally nit-picking your work, i am just asking questions about it because your shower is EXACTLY how i want to do my shower in the basement in a year from now.
Yes and the half wall top is sloped inward as is the curb. All water will shed towards the shower.

__________________
Angus
My Albums
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Custom In-Wall Entertainment Center Project! With lots of photos!! joseph011 Project Showcase 12 01-03-2011 01:43 PM
Custom Shower addition plumbing questions alxv Plumbing 1 10-09-2008 02:34 PM
advice on tile/grout sealer for polished marble in shower marcin1 Flooring 4 05-18-2008 06:59 AM
Shower tile project (questions) fxman Remodeling 3 04-16-2008 08:39 PM
Custom Shower Pan Rorynater Plumbing 3 03-27-2006 08:03 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.