DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Custom built legs for very large glass tabletop

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Mrnagrom 
#1 ·
Well, I made a lucky find in the freebies on craigslist - a 4' X 8' slab of finished glass, 3/4" thick. This is a very nice piece, double bullnose edge, very impressive. Weighs 300lbs easily, maybe more.

Hauling it was a huge pain, and deciding what to do with that slab of glass was even tougher.

We decided to build legs for it out of concrete and glass tile blocks.

The build was something like this (from the floor up):
16"X16" cement slab
12"X12" cement slab
4 glass corner tiles
12"X12" cement slab
16"X16" cement slab

Now, everything was mortared together, and I drilled through all the slabs so that I could have a 1/2" piece of rebar running the full length of the leg. Also, all the filler cement in the center was mixed with fibers for increased strength. Once done, I used thin set mortar (white) as a stucco-esque finish, which I made spikey. I liked the combination of the glass (from both the table and the blocks, smooth, fragile, sleek) contrasted with the rough, sharp, industrial spikey stucco look.

These are fully assembled and have cured almost a week.

I will be placing the table on them by this weekend hopefully, to do that I plan to put down mortar on the top of each leg, then place a 16"X16" ceramic tile, then place some clear rubber sheeting, then the table. I figure that if we place the table while the mortar from the marble tile on top is still wet, the table will make it cure in the most balanced way.

I'll post back once we actually place the table, but again that should be real soon, hopefully over the weekend (easiest time to round up a few guys who can move that piece of glass from the garage to the living room :laughing:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
May've mentioned it earlier, but I intended to lay mortar on the tops of the legs, set some marble tiles, then (while the mud was wet) lay the table, letting it squeeze the marble down as it needed to. This would've provided the best fit.

I couldn't find any clear, rubber sheeting to put over the marble though, so instead of that I just put some white rubber sheeting over the bases. We laid the table on it, and one of the legs had only like 15% contact with the glass. Baaaaaad. So we laid some mortar on teh low spot, put the rubber white piece back on, and laid the table again.

I've gotta say that I love everything about this, except those awful looking white squares. It's almost certain that at some point (when some of the more important renovations are done) I'll just lift the table and do some nice tiles for the tops of the legs, but this'll have to work for now.

I love the look of this. I've wanted this table for probably almost 10 years (anyone seen that scene in face/off, where there's the shootout in the bald guy's amazing loft/building/house? He has this low, large glass table that's got statues as legs. Not only is that my favorite residence I've ever seen, but that specific part of it was my favorite detail. Now I've got mine! Hell yeah!:jester:

Attachments

#8 ·
lol I can't even tell if you meant that seriously or not because of the emoticon!

Either way I love it, it's a table very much like I've wanted for many, many years (seen the movie 'face/off'? That dude's place, the one with the big shootout, it's like a converted warehouse, that's my favorite place in the world. The table he has upstairs in the loft is a large glass table like that w/ cooler legs than mine, but ever since that movie I've loved his place and that table especially, now I got mine :thumbsup: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.