Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Complete bathroom remodel

Hello everyone;

I am in the process of doing a complete bathroom remodel,from the floor to the walls.
I am going to be posting my progress and asking for opinions from all you experts.
This is an old house so all the walls and the floor have plaster so it is not an easy job.
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Complete bathroom remodel-p2110057.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2110055.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2220096.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2220097.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2220099.jpg  

Complete bathroom remodel-p2220100.jpg  

Twinvtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Your taking that floor out???

Rivethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I moved your thread here to the project showcase section. If you have questions as you go along you can post them in the appropriate subforum.

Looks like a heck of a project. Definately time for that old lead piping and the drum trap to go!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,120

That's a big job! What is the stuff on the wall behind the plaster? Was that used in place of wood lath?

Thanks for posting the pictures, I'd like to see more of them as you progress.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #5

Than You all for the repllies;

Yes I am going to remove that floor and also the shower walls.
That stuff thats behind the wall is metal,they used it to hold the plaster up and then they installed the tiles.
It has about an inch of plaster and then the tiles. I am doing this after work and in the weekends,it is good that this is a second bath so I could live without it for a month or two...lol...
I have a few questions about the material that I need to buy for the floor and walls.

For the floor I am thinking 3/4" plywood and then cement board, any suggestion on what brand to use?
Can any of you guys give me any advice on what kind of backer board to use for the walls?
I want to do this right the first time so any help would be appreciated.Thank You.

Last edited by Twinvtec; 02-23-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: .
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivethead View Post
Your taking that floor out???
Looking at the floor I don't know what to do, should I take the floor out or should I install the tile on top of the floor?
It is a cement floor and on top of that they did the tiles.
Here are some pics;
Attached Thumbnails
Complete bathroom remodel-p2240004.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2240005.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p2240008.jpg  
Old 02-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,120

Here's my 2-cents-worth. Take it all out so you can see what's under there and fix things now, if necessary.

In the middle picture, in post #6, did they cut through the floor joist to run that pipe? If so, that would be one good reason to pull up the entire floor. Maybe they cut through other joists that also need to be fixed or replaced.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Here's my 2-cents-worth. Take it all out so you can see what's under there and fix things now, if necessary.

In the middle picture, in post #6, did they cut through the floor joist to run that pipe? If so, that would be one good reason to pull up the entire floor. Maybe they cut through other joists that also need to be fixed or replaced.
Thank You that is what im thinking, Its going to take me a little longer but you are right, do it right the first time. Any suggestions on what kind of new subfloor materials to use?

Last edited by Twinvtec; 02-25-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
OCDiy'er

Rewards Points: 10

WOW! Glad to know I am not the only one with a bathroom from hell. We gutted our bathroom last summer in our 60 year old house we had just purchased. Floor was small tile on top of 2½" of concrete. Chipped all the old green (i.e. hideous) tile off concrete with small hand held jack hammer. Our walls were tiled around the perimeter up to 6½' high. However, instead of plaster over the metal lathe it was and 1¼" of concrete with tile on surface. Hitting it with a sledge did nothing except shake the house and separate the drywall from the studs on the other side of the wall and knock studs loose from sole plate. After getting two bids of $3,000 to gut the bathroom I decided to do it myself since we had a budget. Also, one bidder said they were going to use a sledge & air chisel - figured that was not good since I knew the effect of the sledge method and that was not even on the wall with the plumbing that goes upstairs. Spent $100 on good diamond blade and went through and made a vertical cuts in the wall every 16" and peeled it off. Have a chunk in my office as a souvenir and wife has a couple of large chunks in her garden as "decorative" (ha ha) stepping pads. Bathroom was closed off, air conditioning was turned off and vents were sealed. It was middle of July - it was a hot, extremely dusty miserable experience that I do not plan on repeating. This stuff was very well constructed. When I got the old 350 pound cast iron tub out and in the garden it slipped off the hand truck and landed on one of the "decorative" stepping pads. All that happened was it cracked the tile on the surface. Fortunately we had basement under the bathroom so the plumbing was for the most part under the bathroom.

Hope all goes well!! Even though the room is small it is a very big, messy project.

Matt M
wis_remod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

One thing I would look at to incorporate into my plans now, (i.e. at this stage of the game rather than later) would be waterproofing. Walls and floor...

That might require an extra half an inch or so in floor height.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

holy crap!
i thought my bathroom floor was bad.
dude, am i looking at it right, that the entire depth of the joists are filled up with cement? sweet jesus, you are going to have a miserable time getting that up, let alone the tile.

you'll definitely sleep better if you took it all out. is this upstairs or downstairs? i hope it's not upstairs.

anyway, find a way to gut it all out.

then, straighen out all your plumbing.
then, assess joists (clean up/sister/brace as needed)
i would then go over with 3/4" plywood (not chip board).
depending on joist size and span, you may want a SECOND layer of plywood, glued and screwed to the first (angus the master tile guy will tell you this). this will keep things stiff enough to avoid cracking tiles.
on top of that you could use the 1/8" schluter waterproofing membrane, or the durock.

probably want to use some kind of waterproofing membrane, at least under and around the tub, look into schluter products, avails at home depot or online.

what i did in my bathroom:

3/4" plywood over joists
1/2" durock on top of that
thinset and tile on top

good luck dude. i feel sorry for ya.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
holy crap!
i thought my bathroom floor was bad.
dude, am i looking at it right, that the entire depth of the joists are filled up with cement? sweet jesus, you are going to have a miserable time getting that up, let alone the tile.

you'll definitely sleep better if you took it all out. is this upstairs or downstairs? i hope it's not upstairs.

anyway, find a way to gut it all out.

then, straighen out all your plumbing.
then, assess joists (clean up/sister/brace as needed)
i would then go over with 3/4" plywood (not chip board).
depending on joist size and span, you may want a SECOND layer of plywood, glued and screwed to the first (angus the master tile guy will tell you this). this will keep things stiff enough to avoid cracking tiles.
on top of that you could use the 1/8" schluter waterproofing membrane, or the durock.

probably want to use some kind of waterproofing membrane, at least under and around the tub, look into schluter products, avails at home depot or online.

what i did in my bathroom:

3/4" plywood over joists
1/2" durock on top of that
thinset and tile on top

good luck dude. i feel sorry for ya.

Yes ,, me too, I feel sorry...lol... but really, I already started the work so I am going to finish it. I am not going to do the hard part of the job and then leave the easy part for the contractors...lol... Thank you all for all the replies and advice.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wis_remod View Post
WOW! Glad to know I am not the only one with a bathroom from hell. We gutted our bathroom last summer in our 60 year old house we had just purchased. Floor was small tile on top of 2½" of concrete. Chipped all the old green (i.e. hideous) tile off concrete with small hand held jack hammer. Our walls were tiled around the perimeter up to 6½' high. However, instead of plaster over the metal lathe it was and 1¼" of concrete with tile on surface. Hitting it with a sledge did nothing except shake the house and separate the drywall from the studs on the other side of the wall and knock studs loose from sole plate. After getting two bids of $3,000 to gut the bathroom I decided to do it myself since we had a budget. Also, one bidder said they were going to use a sledge & air chisel - figured that was not good since I knew the effect of the sledge method and that was not even on the wall with the plumbing that goes upstairs. Spent $100 on good diamond blade and went through and made a vertical cuts in the wall every 16" and peeled it off. Have a chunk in my office as a souvenir and wife has a couple of large chunks in her garden as "decorative" (ha ha) stepping pads. Bathroom was closed off, air conditioning was turned off and vents were sealed. It was middle of July - it was a hot, extremely dusty miserable experience that I do not plan on repeating. This stuff was very well constructed. When I got the old 350 pound cast iron tub out and in the garden it slipped off the hand truck and landed on one of the "decorative" stepping pads. All that happened was it cracked the tile on the surface. Fortunately we had basement under the bathroom so the plumbing was for the most part under the bathroom.

Hope all goes well!! Even though the room is small it is a very big, messy project.

Matt M
Thank You...
Old 03-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #14

Hello all;

Just an update of the progress.
I need help with the insulation for the outside walls I only have about 2" cleareance from the wall to the window molding.
Any ideas?
Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Complete bathroom remodel-p3080013.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080014.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080014a.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080015a.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080019.jpg  

Complete bathroom remodel-p3080020.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #15

More pics...

The last pic is the outside wall in the hallway.
Attached Thumbnails
Complete bathroom remodel-p3080029.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080006.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080016.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080035.jpg   Complete bathroom remodel-p3080034.jpg