Cheap Kitchen Facelift - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Hey guys, this is my first post other then my intro. I just finished my kitchen for the most part. We need new appliances but its all in time. I had pretty much no experience going into this. I have been in the automotive industry for 13yrs now so I feel like I am pretty handy but havent touched a table saw since highschool. When we started looking for a new house I knew I would have some projects so I started buying tools too. I thought that was a pretty good excuse any way . Ended up finding a house and the previous owners didnt paint anything! It was all builder white and boring. But a great place to start. I will add captions above each picture.

This is what I started with.....

I pulled all of the cabinets down and reused every one of them. I did have to buy 2 new corner cabinets. The upper was $20 and the lower was $40. I had to extend the upper corner cabinet to get the look I was going after. I cheated and extended the top but I did take two doors and made one to account for the new length. That turned out 10x better then I thought it would.

She wanted a fancy oven range thing and we found one in a magazine that she liked so I had something to go off of. Built that and mounted the old range hood under it so I still have a light and fan. Then added some crown. The crown moulding was a lot easier then I thought it would be. I had heard that it was hard to cut/hang. It went great no problem. The filler pieces on each side of the oven helped center the oven under the new range thing. I added extra support in them to help hold up the extra weight of the range.

I sanded everything down and primed it before I painted it.

I made my own counter tops and covered them with laminate. Like everyone else we wanted stone but couldnt afford it. I have 28' of counter tops and I bought the wood and the laminate and finished it for $120.

Added tile floor... Here is where I messed up. 1 first time ever doing tile 2 tried to save money so I bought 12x12 cream tiles and cut every one into 1/4 because a 12x12 was 58cents and a pre cut 6x6 was 63cents. I kicked myself in the butt everytime I had to cut more of those stupid tiles.

Thats pretty much it. I painted our stove black because the white was really bad looking. The only issue is we picked out the laminate for the countertops when we were going to use a glass backsplash. The we changed our backsplash and now i feel like our countertops dont go with the kitchen. For another $120.00 I can re-laminate the countertops to a darker color. Like a black with copper flake to match the knobs and backsplash. I have pocket lights to replace those stupid fluorescent lights. But we can finally relax a bit now or at least I can.

I built the top to the fridge cause it didnt come with one and I built that cabinet to the left of it. She saw something like it in a magazine and said thats what I want. So I said yes dear... We bought a plate set just for it. I had to slide everything down 6inches or so because of the huge fridge. But I used a smaller end cabinet on the other end and it all worked out.

So here is the total..... $1,260.00 Most of that was the tile well like $500 or so. If there are any contractors that see this I would like to know how much would this have cost had I paid someone to do it? I feel like i have a pretty nice kitchen but I might be one of those guys showing off a pic of my ugly baby just proud cause its mine...

Thanks for looking!
Justin

Advertisement

Last edited by Justin8152000; 06-14-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Justin8152000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
Mike Holmes Disciple

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

This fellow newbie approves!

Advertisement

Bosco55David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bosco55David For This Useful Post:
Justin8152000 (06-15-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Looks great!

It's funny just how many people will buy a home and leave it white (or even paint it all white). Especially when you run into the builder-sprayed white and somebody lived there for 2+ years.
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coderguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Work Hard, Play Harder

Rewards Points: 150

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Looking again; it could use some light fixtures?
coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #5

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Oh yeah those are next. I have 5 pocket lights to add. Those lights look awful. I have 3 pendant lights to hang above that half wall too. I don't have access above where the pocket lights will go so I am thinking I might have to pull down the ceiling to run the extra wires. We will see...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

I think it looks good, not an ugly baby for sure. What did you use for paint on the cabinets, and what technique did you use for applying the paint (brush, roller, spray)? How did the oak texture do with painting? I know sometimes oak doesn't like to leave a nice smooth surface after painting.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

I sanded the scrap out of them. I used 80 to get most of the grain out then back over quickly with 150. I used Valspar kitchen and bath paint from Lowest. Its a latex but it has enamel in it. I highly recommend it. It dosent have the smell of a enamel but it is pretty strong. Its not a semi gloss but its not dull either its perfect. I used a foam roller to help get it as smooth as I could. It came out pretty slick. I would of rather sprayed it but since we are living in the house I didn't want to plastic everything off.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #8

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Oh there were a couple stubborn areas with the texture. I smeared in a little mud and sanded it flat. Pretty quick fix.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Wife and I love it! What kind of paint did you use for the oven? We're going to paint our's black as well.
Dinggus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dinggus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Dorf dude...

Rewards Points: 1,036

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Thumbs up here. dorf dude...
Old 06-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #11

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Thanks! I used rustoleum black enamel. It wont hold up forever but it was a quick fix for me. The white oven looked so out of place in the kitchen. I didnt even sand it. Once again cause it was a temp fix. I did wipe it down and get it good and clean.
Here is a link to the gallon but all you need is a quart.
http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CFAQ8wIwAA#

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #12

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Thanks. We both agreed that the stove we have isn't in bad shape, and never gave us issues. To be honest, it looked like the owners never cooked anything in the oven. I was thinking of some of that spray paint people can buy at Autozone that is for like engine parts and holds up with heat.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #13

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

even on the cooktop I never had any problems. Only areas I have had is where it got bumped or scuffed. I have actually had the oven painted for a couple weeks now. I did that before I painted the cabinets. If you are like me I cant get spray paint to spray out decent. I always end up with uneven lines in it. I could lay it out slick in my spray gun but its soooo much overspray. A foam roller and a quart was perfect. Under $30 and couldnt be happier. Oh i did take it all appart so you can see any white edges or anything. Anything was was white from the factory is black now. I am a little anal about little stuff like that.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #14

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Okay, thanks, I'll have the wife look into it.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #15

Cheap Kitchen Facelift

Couldnt stand the countertops anymore. Just finished them. I ran wires for new lights too but didnt get to that this weekend.

Advertisement